Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:47 PM

119 posts, read 191,860 times

Advertisements

I've been Verizon FIOS customer for several years and missed it badly after moving into our new house, which is not in Verizon FIOS coverage area. All we have is Time Warner and Grande Communications, which are nowhere near FIOS in internet speed and quality. So, I was very excited to see the sign at Main street, which said that AT&T is about to start installing their fiber optic GigaPower lines around our neighborhood.

I wonder if anyone knows any details about this project: when is it going to be available to the customers? There is a phone number on the sign, but it seems to be wrong - the person answering the phone has nothing to do with this project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 01:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Future Plans & Current Locations for U-verse with AT&T GigaPower

Old 01-20-2015, 01:02 PM

504 posts, read 800,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespassers W View Post
I've been Verizon FIOS customer for several years and missed it badly after moving into our new house, which is not in Verizon FIOS coverage area. All we have is Time Warner and Grande Communications, which are nowhere near FIOS in internet speed and quality. So, I was very excited to see the sign at Main street, which said that AT&T is about to start installing their fiber optic GigaPower lines around our neighborhood.

I wonder if anyone knows any details about this project: when is it going to be available to the customers? There is a phone number on the sign, but it seems to be wrong - the person answering the phone has nothing to do with this project.
Sounds like great news. We had FIOS in Copell and after moving to Frisco TW was our only option. ATT Uverse is not available where I live and their regular DSL only goes upto 6 MBPS. TW speed is ok but it's not very stable, imo.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:14 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
I've got Suddenlink now that we're in Prosper, they're the only game in town if you want speeds higher than 5/6 Mb. Hopefully FIOS or AT&T will have fiber out here soon, I'm told FIOS could be available by the end of the year for us.

As far as TWC goes, we had them in McKinney, and I never had a problem with their internet, it was extremely reliable and always got the speeds promised.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:18 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
We have Uverse and like it better than TWC.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:39 PM

119 posts, read 191,860 times
We currently have Grande 11/110 Mb internet, their speed is OK most of the time, but not very stable. With FIOS we didn't have a single instance of dropped signal in 5 years, but maybe we were just lucky.

In any case, the more options - the better. Also, it is U-verse GigaPower, which is a gigabit internet at home!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:59 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
Even though virtually no existing computer can take advantage of gigabit speed.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Even though virtually no existing computer can take advantage of gigabit speed.
Care to elaborate???? Almost all "newer" computers have gig network interface cards. The MAIN issue you'll run into is people with older wireless routers.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:09 PM

On top of that, it's not so much the speed one computer can get. It's the utilization across the board. Mom is streaming her Netflix in the bedroom, Dad is downloading some giant presentation on his iPad, Jason is playing Xbox Live in the game room and little Suzy is watching YouTube video in 4K......with little to no buffering experienced.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:30 PM

559 posts, read 936,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespassers W View Post

In reality there is no content out their which requires gigabit down stream speed.

FYI, same advertised speed by FIOS and UVERSE will always have better latency in FIOS compare to UVERSE. Because UVERSE fiberoptic is only upto the main junction box as compare to FIOS is all the way inside your home.

I have used FIOS in the past and have UVERSE at the moment, so speak from my personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas