Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM

37 posts, read 69,035 times

Advertisements

We will be moving soon from Southern California. The job will be in Baylor Mckinney. Planning to look at Richwoods, Lawler Park, Craig Ranch, Tucker Hill, and Prosper. Which one would be a better commute? Will Prosper be too far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 02:08 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
I think you're safe with any of those.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:30 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
If you want the shortest commute, then you should cross off Craig Ranch, Richwoods and Lawler Park. All of those will have you crossing McKinney to get to work. While none of them would be a "hard" commute, it could easily take 20-30 minutes to get from Craig Ranch to work for example, depending upon traffic.

Tucker Hill and the south east area of Prosper would both be better choices commute-wise.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,179 times
Lucky if you can get a job in McKinney because it affords you to have a real good choice of where to live and opens you up to possibly getting more land as well. Agreed with McKinney owner, you are looking at about 20 minutes from craig ranch, lawler and richwoods. But you may also want to consider villages of stonelake, which will put you in FISD and up the road on Eldorado (might save like 5 minutes) and still keep you close to the 121 for any other commute purposes.

I don't "think" prosper will be too far, but aside from work it may be too far for those things you might need to get to a mall for.

Whats the other development called in McKinney schools? I think its estates of Verona..that is farther up custer but closer to Baylor.

If your okay with a 20 minute commute then check out the areas that you have mentioned. Another thing to just throw out there...staying close to the developments that you mentioned might be a safe bet because if you change jobs to plano/frisco/ or anything south of Baylor, you commute will not be an issue if you set yourself up in an area of northeast McKinney or prosper.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:35 PM

419 posts, read 553,360 times
We commute from south of 121 to the same area in McKinney. Takes about 20 minutes on the back roads. Lawler Park and Richwoods would be a bit further. We ruled out Prosper and Tucker Hill do to access to amenities and commuting on 380. If the length of commute is most important, go with Tucker Hill, though I found them to be very expensive on a $/sf for being right on the highway. Commuting from Prosper could be longer in the future due to the widening project and all the development coming that way.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:16 PM

37 posts, read 69,035 times
Thank you everyone for responding. Our priority is schools and a safe neighborhood. Is one better than other or are they all the same? I have children in elementary and middle school? Thank you once again.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhm View Post
Thank you everyone for responding. Our priority is schools and a safe neighborhood. Is one better than other or are they all the same? I have children in elementary and middle school? Thank you once again.
From what I've seen, most of the public schools in all of the above areas are pretty strong. McKinney may be a little better in some areas, but it's not leaps and bounds ahead of Prosper. You will probably be happy with any of the districts. Also please note that school districts in Texas are independent and do not follow city lines. I'll try and find some boundary maps for you and link them.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Prosper: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

McKinney: http://www.mckinneyisd.net/parents/z...zones_2014.pdf

Attendance Zones

Last edited by Yac; 01-21-2015 at 06:59 AM..

Old 01-20-2015, 04:46 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
From what I've seen, most of the public schools in all of the above areas are pretty strong. McKinney may be a little better in some areas, but it's not leaps and bounds ahead of Prosper. You will probably be happy with any of the districts. Also please note that school districts in Texas are independent and do not follow city lines. I'll try and find some boundary maps for you and link them.
This

I would look into FISD and McKinney Schools...whats the new one..north or boyd that seems to get good reviews.

But you can also live in McKinney and head to frisco schools too!!!! I would look at all the developments that fall along independence and follow the feeder path the leads you to Liberty or Independence.

Stonebridge ranch is also a great option. Think staying in west of the 75, south of 380 and at or north of the 121 will be your best bet! Lots to choose from!!!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:46 PM

41 posts, read 101,133 times
If you see your self staying in that hospital for some time and spouse's commute or private schooling are not a consideration then stay in McKinney itself. Why add commute to daily grind when things are pretty much identical in all areas that you are considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas