U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:57 PM

254 posts, read 324,453 times

Advertisements

Looking at a possible move to the Dallas area from SW Florida.

Mrs grndhog will be working in Grapevine. My job will be home based (with some travel so close-ish airport access is nice)

We have two young boys, ages 4 and 1. We'll need daycare for them as well...suggestions/price estimates?

Rental budget is about $1500.

We have 2 dogs. An English bulldog (60lbs, despite her being small and squat, I think she qualifies as a large dog) and a French Bulldog (16lbs)

What are you suggestions on areas to look? We want safe neighborhoods and a decent home to live in. We'll plan to rent for a year and then look into buying somewhere.

It looks like there are a few options in Fort Worth. What's the commute like from the NW part of FW to Grapevine? Is it safe to stay East of I35 and North of I30?

Truthfully, I'd love that we lived near a DART train station so we could get to the city on the weekends but I don't think it goes near Grapevine.

Last edited by GRNDHOG; 01-21-2015 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:51 PM

900 posts, read 892,342 times
This is just one opinion- but since you will be new to the area and have a year or two depending on your oldest's birthdate- I would find a house in Hurst, Bedford, or Euless. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods in the "mid-cities" area. You might even find something in Grapevine but the market is inflated due to the school district being in such high demand- no need to bite that off when you have some time. Then you can take your time to familiarize yourself with the area and if you want to use public schools, you can cross that bridge next year.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:37 PM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
DART has no rail service near Grapevine--DART is Dallas and Plano counties -- I think it goes into Plano--

there is the TRE which serves a route from downtown FTW into Dallas by Reunion Arena with several stops along the way

you can check realtor.com--there are some SFR listed there--
many rental homes in the Mid-Cities (basically area between Irving (west of Dallas) and FTW are listed w/smaller management companies or jsut with signs in the yard

the area along 121 from 183 into Grapevine has nice areas--Bedford, north Euless, Grapevine, Hurst,
In general area north of Airport Frwy, east of the 820 Loop would be fairly easy commute into Grapevine
if you can use 360 N into Grapevine, you might look at some areas of Arlington

get a map and check out the towns besides FTW and Dallas

plenty of posts/threads on Dallas and FTW forums about almost all of them

Old 01-22-2015, 04:38 AM

9,504 posts, read 19,506,212 times
PM me if you need contact info of a local realtor who rents houses in Grapevine.

I will say that your budget is low for a house in Grapevine. You should be able to find something in Euless, Hurst or Bedford for that price. Try to stay north of 183 for better schools and lower crime rates.

DART rail is really more for commuting to work than for weekend sightseeing, but you can use it for that. We find it is easier, and faster, to just jump in the car and drive. The nearest DART stop to Grapevine that has parking is the farthest one on the Orange line in Irving. The TRE at Centreport Station works for getting to downtown Dallas and Fort Worth. But it doesn't run at all on Sundays.

Be careful about Fort Worth. East of 35 and north of 30 is a pretty rough area off Beach Street, and old Haltom City. You need to go north of loop 820 before things improve.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:28 AM

Thank you all.

After checking out Zillow/Trulia it looks like we may need to increase our budget a little to get where we're wanting to be.

@ChristieP I may be sending you a PM soon!

I'm not hard set on a train into Dallas, just thought it would be a neat "bonus". Definitely not a dealbreaker either way.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 AM

FYI--
rental homes in good condition in good neighborhoods are premium and usually go fast
and right now--middle of winter--is not the optimum time to be looking because many people who rent do so for a year from spring/spring--or summer/summer--so they don't have to relocate their kids during school--
there probably aren't as many homes for rent as there would be in April or May or June--

how long do you have to look at neighborhoods before you need to take possession cause your options are likely MORE limited at this time than in 4 mo or so

Old 01-25-2015, 06:43 PM

10 posts, read 14,455 times
I live in the Lewisville area and I love it! About 10-15 minutes from the airport. We moved here from Michigan 5 years ago and have enjoyed the area. It's also a short commute to Grapevine, renting prices may be cheaper too. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:39 AM

Good point on the school year thing. I don't think we'll have until April-June, to be honest. I'll check out the Lewisville options.

The biggest thing is going to be salary offered that'll determine the budget. (duh!) Hope to hear something in the next few days!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 PM

Things are progressing...

We like the Coppell area and it appears closer to her work (Grapevine Mills Mall area)

Does anyone have any recommendations for daycare centers there? We want to keep it no more than $1500 for our 1 and 4 year old.

I have a feeling we'll be there by March 1st. EEK!

Last edited by GRNDHOG; 02-03-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 09:37 PM

have no clue as to the daycare sitaution--good luck with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or