U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 05:29 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,573,741 times

Advertisements

Seems to me the OP said they are trying to decide between DT and UT. Didn't say anything about oak cliff. I'm getting they want urban like a little piece of Boston or NY.

Well I know how you feel - exactly.

Here's a few ideas. The building that has the clocktower on it on Main St has apts for as low as $1050. Complete with a roof deck pool. Just an idea. New Luxury Apartments in Dallas | Mercantile Place Apartments

Another idea is live somewhere near the new park built right over the highway. It's directly in front of the museum, a stone's throw from the original El Fenix and the Perot Museum. That location is smack dab between Uptown (overrated imo) and Downtown. And it's got the free McKinney Trolley. Easy access to the DART trains (any color you like) and the West End. That new park is the liveliest outdoor spot in Dallas these days. You should check it out.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kl...6ca5cf6a?hl=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 05:33 PM

11,693 posts, read 21,362,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Is that area safe though? It's right next to a bad part of oak cliff? That's my concern with east dallas as well. In uptown/downtown my kids won't have many to play with but they'll have a few kids to play with, family nearby, and a safer area (i think).

I believe a poor school is a reflection of the parents more than the district/teachers. That's why so many schools in the ghetto are below standards. Absent parents and/or drug addicted parents or parents just aren't involved.

I will seriously consider the bishop arts district though. I had no idea that place existed. I really wanted downtown/uptown to work out though. I just want to be able to walk outside and be a short walk away from the action. That urban lifestyle fits my family. The keller/trophy club area is nice but it's not for us.
1. No, I wouldn't consider Uptown/ Downtown "safer" for a toddler and a 7-year-old than Lakewood or North Oak Cliff. Personally, I wouldn't want my family living in a condo complex with a bunch of 20-something partiers (really want your kids at the condo pool on Sunday Funday where the booze is flowing and girls are scantily clad?) or on the same street as 10 bars (noise, smell, etc). In Oak Lawn, you've got to be careful south of Lemon (and def south of Cedar Springs) as there is a lot of drug traffic and transient vagrants walking around, especially after dark.

2. Re: Uptown vs North Oak Cliff/ Lakewood. I get that you hate Keller. I'm a city girl so I would, too. But be careful not to swing the pendulum too far to the left. NOC or Lakewood gives you the walkability that you're seeking while still being in a family-welcoming environment. Plus, you're at most 5-10 minutes to the Arboretum, zoo, museums, Klyde Warren Park, Children's Theatre, etc. significantly better location than your current home! Even if you lived in Uptown (say State Thomas area), you'd still need to drive to the zoo, Arboretum, Farmer's Market, etc as DART rail isn't possible and it's way too far to walk or bike.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:56 PM

23 posts, read 20,742 times
Quote:
Seems to me the OP said they are trying to decide between DT and UT. Didn't say anything about oak cliff. I'm getting they want urban like a little piece of Boston or NY.

Well I know how you feel - exactly.
Exactly!! And thanks for the link. We really like that property. I think we may have found our future home. It'll be a great place to rent for a year and see if we can really live there. If not, we'll consider NOC. I do appreciate the recommendations for NOC. NOC is closer to my in law's in cedar hill area and friend's in arlington/mansfield. I really like the idea of it but I really don't care for yard work, etc. And a slice of NY/Boston in TX seems like a dream to me.

Quote:
2. Re: Uptown vs North Oak Cliff/ Lakewood. I get that you hate Keller. I'm a city girl so I would, too. But be careful not to swing the pendulum too far to the left. NOC or Lakewood gives you the walkability that you're seeking while still being in a family-welcoming environment. Plus, you're at most 5-10 minutes to the Arboretum, zoo, museums, Klyde Warren Park, Children's Theatre, etc. significantly better location than your current home! Even if you lived in Uptown (say State Thomas area), you'd still need to drive to the zoo, Arboretum, Farmer's Market, etc as DART rail isn't possible and it's way too far to walk or bike.
Awesome advice. Sometimes I wonder about swinging the pendulum too far. I mean that's a complete 180 from trophy club/keller area. I will give this decision a lot of thought. It may be best to rent in downtown b4 buying a condo there.

Quote:
I get that you don't dig the burbs but what about your kids? Uptown? Seriously? What sort of QOL is anyone going to have with yall commuting an extra chunk of time? East Dallas is great and has stuff for everyone but that commute would be terrible as others have already pointed out. And Bishop Arts/ Oak Cliff/ Kessler, all those great neighborhoods south of Downtown are hot right now but what about school? Do yall do private? My sister and her husband are in Kessler Park and they have a few friends there also with children and not one of them is using/ planning on using public schools. I'm sure they harbor hopes that the public schools in that area will become like Stonewall and Lakewood in E Dallas or DeGolyer and Withers in NW Dallas but that doesn't happen overnight. Just something to think about. My children did not enjoy the 3 months we lived in a condo (and we were in CO for a month of that time).
To each his own. The debate is still active on raising kids in burbs/rural/urban areas. Despite what suburban/rural americans believe, there are plenty of benefits of raising children in an urban environment vs suburbs. Just as there are benefits of suburbs over urban. Those benefits aren't good enough for me to choose it over an urban environment though. School is a reflection of parenting more than it is the school/district. I'm sure if you check the stats, you'll see most dropouts or kids that are struggling in school have problems at home, one of which may be a parent that isn't as involved as they should be.

Our quality of life will improve. Yes our commute to WORK will be longer but when we are doing anything social, it's normally a long drive to Dallas. That commute is horrible. That commute is the one I despise. Besides, I know ppl that commute from Weatherford to FW b/c they rather live in a smaller city like weatherford... or ppl that commute from Murphy/Wylie/Sachse to Dallas.... The drive from fw to dallas is like going from downtown dallas to some parts of rockwall(I know its more traffic fw to dallas though)

Quote:
To everyone else
Thanks for contributing to the conversation. All of this advice is greatly appreciated. I will put NOC on the list but will still consider downtown/uptown.

Last edited by IamLegend2000; 01-22-2015 at 09:21 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,463,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
1. No, I wouldn't consider Uptown/ Downtown "safer" for a toddler and a 7-year-old than Lakewood or North Oak Cliff. Personally, I wouldn't want my family living in a condo complex with a bunch of 20-something partiers (really want your kids at the condo pool on Sunday Funday where the booze is flowing and girls are scantily clad?) or on the same street as 10 bars (noise, smell, etc). In Oak Lawn, you've got to be careful south of Lemon (and def south of Cedar Springs) as there is a lot of drug traffic and transient vagrants walking around, especially after dark.
I've seen you say things about Oak Lawn several times, and then suggests areas walkable to Jefferson BLVD. Do you really think the areas around Oak Lawn & Cedar Springs or Throckmorton & Cedar Springs are more dangerous than say Bishop & Jefferson? Because I don't. I'm not going to argue that Oak Lawn is a great place to raise kids, because I don't believe it is, but I wouldn't say Oak Cliff is a big improvement. I also don't think it's safer, or absent of drug traffic, "transient vagrants", or homeless.

Sam Houston Elementary in Oak Lawn is normally one of the highest performing elementary schools in DISD, despite being almost 100% Hispanic and economically disadvantaged, it never gets any praise on this forum, but that's no surprise.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/05/02/l...dallas-school/

Old 01-22-2015, 10:58 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,205,205 times
The only areas where you won't need pvt schools are NOC - zoned to Rosemont. Or most East Dallas neighborhoods.
You will be putting your kids into a terrible environment is you live Uptown or TC and send your kid to Milam. Look up the attendance zone. It's huge. Guess which kids go to that school? Or other schools zoned to downtown? Yes, the problems these kids have originate in their homes. It isn't their fault. But it's all they know. Teachers can only do so much. I have experience with my youngest son at such a school (in another neighborhood) and I wish I never did it to him.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 AM

495 posts, read 383,332 times
I can understand having kids and still wanting to live in an urban, walkable area. I live in a neighborhood with one of the highest population densities per sq mile in the entire US, and we have a daughter and like it here. But Dallas (where we used to live) is different in that sure, you can live downtown, but it's pretty dead on weekends so although you can walk places, there isn't much to walk to. You have Klyde Warren now, but you can't leave your house and hit a dozen places to brunch or lunch with kids that are in a family-friendly price range (all my favorite places downtown are like Stephan Pyles. Pricey.)

Uptown, you have a lot more you can walk to and I wouldn't say it's *all* decidedly not kid friendly. I've actually taken my baby to the Katy Trail ice house on a Sunday afternoon on our last visit to big D to see friends, and it was fine. There was even another kiddo there! There are plenty of restaurants that welcome kids, but public schools uptown aren't great unless your kids get into the G&T magnet schools.

So still, if I were moving to Dallas tomorrow (and worked downtown), I would want to live in Lakewood (or surrounds), or near the Bishop Arts district, as the other posters have mentioned. In Lakewood, you can walk or ride a bike to brunch at half a dozen kid-friendly eateries (and by kid friendly, I don't mean Chuck E Cheese, I mean like Penne Pomodoro, or Garden Café, or Goldrush Café, or Taco Joint, or Whole Foods or Scallini's...I could go on and on). You have White Rock right there, the public tennis courts that are always open, the library, Greenville Ave on the other side.

Bishop Arts is similar in that you can walk to so much more that suits a family.

Both are much better for family life, but still walkable--as opposed to downtown where you can walk to what? The greyhound station? The main library with all the homeless people outside? Iron Cactus? All meh to me.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:12 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Exactly!! And thanks for the link. We really like that property. I think we may have found our future home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
[color="Blue"] "transient vagrants", or homeless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post

Both are much better for family life, but still walkable--as opposed to downtown where you can walk to what? The greyhound station? The main library with all the homeless people outside? Iron Cactus? All meh to me.
One thing I want to add as a caveat thinking about it - did you say you have kids? If not, NBD. But if you do I do want to echo the homeless issue as noted by PPs. There's a high zombie to human factor in DT. I've visited DT many times with the fam and dog. Eventually, It occurred to me that although I'm badass as Rick on the walking Dead, when I've got a few vulnerables with me, I don't feel quite so secure. And I definitely wouldn't feel too secure with them out there by themselves.

Suggestion. Get a hotel for a couple days in DT. Maybe a week. Go out at all hours. See if u can deal. If so - go for it. If not, money well spent.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:28 PM

11,693 posts, read 21,362,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Suggestion. Get a hotel for a couple days in DT. Maybe a week. Go out at all hours. See if u can deal. If so - go for it. If not, money well spent.
Great suggestion! Hopefully OP will take your advice and test drive his urban dream.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:54 PM

41 posts, read 73,565 times
Taking away housing space, good schools, time with parents and kid friendly neighborhood from the kids, for occasional trips to museums and to improve social life of parents on weekends? Doesn't make much sense to me. Please enlighten me!

Old 01-23-2015, 04:16 PM

3,821 posts, read 3,745,325 times
Quote:
Doesn't make much sense to me. Please enlighten me!
Plenty of children grow up in major cities all over the world. And not everything in your life has to be about 'the children' even if you have a few. There's not much more to it than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or