U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 AM

23 posts, read 20,618 times

Advertisements

Ok, It's going on three years of living in the suburbs (Keller area) and it's killing me. I am married, with two kids, a 7yr old boy and a toddler daughter. I listened to all the hype of the burbs being better for family..blah blah blah.. We're just not fit for that lifestyle.

I work near downtown fort worth. Spouse works near Las Colinas. All of our family live in or around Dallas which is why we've settled on Dallas. We also love the city (we know it has flaws). We plan on selling our house and getting a condo that's under $300k. We are okay with the downsize and the commute. We are even okay with a 2br and having the kids share a room. We just want our urban lifestyle back. Please Help.

We can't decide between downtown or uptown (oak lawn, turtle creek). We prefer it to be near the city center to make the commute to downtown ftw easier. Our kids will also be going to school wherever we stay. Sundance Square of Fort Worth is the ideal place but again, it must be in Dallas.

Any suggestions? We love the idea of walking outside and being in the action. Additionally, I'm thought about just renting out our home and renting an apartment in the areas.... any way, suggestions would be nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:30 AM

2,982 posts, read 8,191,270 times
Look at Junius Heights - there will be more kids for your kids to play with. Library to walk to. Whole Foods. Munger Park. Lipscomb Elem is a good school. Lakewood Shopping Center has restaurants and shops to walk to.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:34 AM

244 posts, read 288,024 times
Look at Winnetka Heights, Kings Highway, and Bishop Arts District. Lots going on, walkable and family friendly. Also a great neighborhood school nearby.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:56 AM

11,688 posts, read 21,299,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastrian2 View Post
Look at Winnetka Heights, Kings Highway, and Bishop Arts District. Lots going on, walkable and family friendly. Also a great neighborhood school nearby.
This is going to be your best bet in Dallas to minimize your lengthy commutes. Make sure you look for properties zoned to Rosemont Elementary as it's the only good one in North Oak Cliff. You'll have to find a way to navigate DISD magnets or go private for middle & high school as the upper grade schools there are rough and low performing. Fabulous area though! Have several friends who live there and all are happy with schools. You *may* still be able to find a single family home in your price range. 75208 and make certain it's zoned to Rosemont.

Having lived there, I cannot recommend Turtle Creek or Oak Lawn to those with kids. The public schools are among the worst (my condo was zoned to the school that all of downfown's homeless population attends) and there are very few families with kids. I assume you want your kids to have friends nearby , right? I just read that something like 2% of Uptown zip code has kids over the age of 5 at home. There are better city center options that are more family friendly.

Lakewood/ East Dallas is a good cultural & school fit, but commute to both Irving and FW is awful as you have to cut clear across downtown. Cannot recommend with your office locations.

Another idea is to live near TCU in Fort Worth. There are several fabulous public elementaries and Paschal HS is probably the most high achieving big city public high school in the state. That's a fun, walkable area.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:48 PM

Is that area safe though? It's right next to a bad part of oak cliff? That's my concern with east dallas as well. In uptown/downtown my kids won't have many to play with but they'll have a few kids to play with, family nearby, and a safer area (i think).

I believe a poor school is a reflection of the parents more than the district/teachers. That's why so many schools in the ghetto are below standards. Absent parents and/or drug addicted parents or parents just aren't involved.

I will seriously consider the bishop arts district though. I had no idea that place existed. I really wanted downtown/uptown to work out though. I just want to be able to walk outside and be a short walk away from the action. That urban lifestyle fits my family. The keller/trophy club area is nice but it's not for us.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:02 PM

I live in the parts of Oak Cliff mentioned and consider it to be very safe- burglaries mainly. Bishop Arts is more in transition than Winnetka Heights or Kings Highway. They aren't particularly close to the bad part of Oak Cliff (More like Kessler and Stephens Park, but those are out of your price range)-but rather boarder on lower income areas. I would encourage you to drive around, take a knowledgeable Oak Cliff Realtor with you. Check out Go Oak Cliff, Winnetka Heights Neighborhood Association, Rosemont Early Childhood PTA, The Kessler Theater, The Advocate Magazine, Oak Cliff Edition.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastrian2 View Post
I live in the parts of Oak Cliff mentioned and consider it to be very safe- burglaries mainly. Bishop Arts is more in transition than Winnetka Heights or Kings Highway. They aren't particularly close to the bad part of Oak Cliff (More like Kessler and Stephens Park, but those are out of your price range)-but rather boarder on lower income areas. I would encourage you to drive around, take a knowledgeable Oak Cliff Realtor with you. Check out Go Oak Cliff, Winnetka Heights Neighborhood Association, Rosemont Early Childhood PTA, The Kessler Theater, The Advocate Magazine, Oak Cliff Edition.

Thank you! Will do. How is the walk around your neighborhood? Can you and your family walk outside and have plenty of places to visit? I see there are mostly houses. Another reason i liked the idea of condo was bc i dont care for yardwork and fixing fences. I don't mind burglaries. Dogs prevent that for the most part. I work in the cj field and know this 1st hand. If u want to prevent burglaries get a dog. The type of dog and aggression doesn't matter just get one that will bark. A defendant's blood in your house is concrete evidence for trial. They know it and thatywhat they fear.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:37 PM

Walkability from my home is great! Davis Street has many choices and is growing (Check out Nova, Kessler Theater, PH.D. Cannon's village where a wine bar and other great things will be open in the next couple of months, Coco Andrew Chocolatier, Oak Cliff Coffee Roasters, Norma's, Joy Macaroons, Glass Eyeware, Vinyl store, etc. It's also less than a mile walk or bike ride into Bishop Arts where you find Oddfellows, Enos Pizza, Boulevardier, etc. We honestly walk or bike most places we go because parking is miserable. If you would like a family tour from random North Oak Cliff internet family, send me a PM...I've become an expert tour guide.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 PM

904 posts, read 896,533 times
I get that you don't dig the burbs but what about your kids? Uptown? Seriously? What sort of QOL is anyone going to have with yall commuting an extra chunk of time? East Dallas is great and has stuff for everyone but that commute would be terrible as others have already pointed out. And Bishop Arts/ Oak Cliff/ Kessler, all those great neighborhoods south of Downtown are hot right now but what about school? Do yall do private? My sister and her husband are in Kessler Park and they have a few friends there also with children and not one of them is using/ planning on using public schools. I'm sure they harbor hopes that the public schools in that area will become like Stonewall and Lakewood in E Dallas or DeGolyer and Withers in NW Dallas but that doesn't happen overnight. Just something to think about. My children did not enjoy the 3 months we lived in a condo (and we were in CO for a month of that time).

Old 01-22-2015, 05:24 PM

11,688 posts, read 21,299,249 times
The NOC neighborhoods are NOT near the bad part of Oak Cliff. Bad Oak Cliff (South Oak Cliff) is on the east side of I-35. As pp said, there are some lower income neighborhoods to the east and south of Kessler Park/ Stevens Park/ Winnetka Heights, but no major crime zones.

Re: walkability. Very easy to walk or take a short bike ride to Bishop Arts District, Davis Street, or to Jefferson Ave. just make sure you don't look too close to I-30 or Hampton due to distance. Shouldn't be a problem because those are the more $$$ homes.

Re: schools. I went to high school with a girl who ended up being a Rhodes Scholar and a university professor before having kids. Her daughter attends Rosemont and they are very happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or