Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM

290 posts, read 387,658 times

Advertisements

What is one thing you would miss if you left Dallas?

What is the one thing you would recommend to someone new to the city?

I'm definitely not a Dallas native, but in the short 9 mos I've been here I would miss the bright sunny mild days in the middle of winter! I miss the snow of the NE, but I must admit it sure was nice throwing on my flip flops this past weekend and enjoying the sunshine

Something I would recommend - getting out and exploring downtown areas. I was here a good several months before I started exploring, as most of my friends live in the burbs. Totally different feel than north of 635 I would say. Definitely a plus for a young professional. I think I would enjoy being here more, if I lived down that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 12:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,459,005 times
I'd miss family, the only reason we're still here. But if it just pertains to the city....I'd probably miss the safety. I feel pretty safe almost anywhere in Dallas. Maybe that's due to familiarity and also knowing where not to go. I'd also miss the wide variety of restaurants that we have.

I would also suggest that new people get out and explore the downtown/uptown/north Oak Cliff areas. I have so many friends from places like Chicago and LA that put Dallas down as having nothing to do. At the same time they live in the suburbs and very rarely if ever travel down to the inter loop.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:29 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,468,021 times
El Fenix.
Dollar Tree
Baby Dolls.
Not necessarily in that order.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:31 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,858,651 times
I would miss the local museums in both Dallas and Fort Worth. The coziness of the Kimball, the joy that is the Nasher, The Swimming Hole at the Amon Carter, the history at Dallas Heritage Village, the wonders of both The Perot and the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, the Meadows Museum, and all of the other museums. I love them all.

I would tell visitors to check out Fair Park and all of our museums. And then eat at some of restaurants. They might be surprised.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I'd miss family, the only reason we're still here. But if it just pertains to the city....I'd probably miss the safety. I feel pretty safe almost anywhere in Dallas. Maybe that's due to familiarity and also knowing where not to go. I'd also miss the wide variety of restaurants that we have.

I would also suggest that new people get out and explore the downtown/uptown/north Oak Cliff areas. I have so many friends from places like Chicago and LA that put Dallas down as having nothing to do. At the same time they live in the suburbs and very rarely if ever travel down to the inter loop.
This was me.. I admit. I have not been to North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts yet, but absolutely loved Knox Henderson and the West Village area. Totally gave me the feel of being in some of the areas near Philly where I grew up.

All of my friends live in Plano or Frisco, a few in Addison.. and they don't even like going anywhere near downtown much. I would like to move down that way, but don't want to be driving to North Dallas to hang out with friends. I'm struggling with the toss up right now. Will probably just go for it and hope to make new friends down there. I also get strange looks when I say I would walk everywhere if I lived in those walkable areas. It amazes me how many Texans prefer to drive.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
This was me.. I admit. I have not been to North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts yet, but absolutely loved Knox Henderson and the West Village area. Totally gave me the feel of being in some of the areas near Philly where I grew up.

All of my friends live in Plano or Frisco, a few in Addison.. and they don't even like going anywhere near downtown much. I would like to move down that way, but don't want to be driving to North Dallas to hang out with friends. I'm struggling with the toss up right now. Will probably just go for it and hope to make new friends down there. I also get strange looks when I say I would walk everywhere if I lived in those walkable areas. It amazes me how many Texans prefer to drive.
Why don't you book a hotel room in DT for a week or so? Get the real life experience rather than just guess. I grew up in the walking cities and also sought some semblance of that here, but frankly DT has some issues. Kinda smelly, kinda dirty. Surprisingly far more concrete than most other walking cities I've visited (NY/BOS/MIA/CHI/PAR/LON). One wouldn't expect more green in NYC, but there is. A lot more. But the main problem with DT is the zombie to human ratio is a bit high. There's plenty of monsters in all my past cities, but they were usually well offset by the swarms of humans. DT to me is sorta like being the only buck in the Serengeti. It doesn't bother me by myself, but with kids in tow well .... Are you a tough chick?

Uptown might be good for you though. Rent a room. Bet you'll like that.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Why don't you book a hotel room in DT for a week or so? Get the real life experience rather than just guess. I grew up in the walking cities and also sought some semblance of that here, but frankly DT has some issues. Kinda smelly, kinda dirty. Surprisingly far more concrete than most other walking cities I've visited (NY/BOS/MIA/CHI/PAR/LON). One wouldn't expect more green in NYC, but there is. A lot more. But the main problem with DT is the zombie to human ratio is a bit high. There's plenty of monsters in all my past cities, but they were usually well offset by the swarms of humans. DT to me is sorta like being the only buck in the Serengeti. It doesn't bother me by myself, but with kids in tow well .... Are you a tough chick?

When is the last time you visited downtown? And honestly, Downtown isn't a good representation. The parts on the north portion of downtown, into Klyde Warren, McKinney Avenue and into uptown are fairly green and full of life.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post

I speaking of literally Downtown, moreso of Uptown/West Village/Knox-Henderson/Oaklawn areas.. those are the places I have been so far. I grew up just outside of Philly and spent about 75% of my weekends actually inside Philadelphia city limits.. so I know all about what you are referring to. I honestly don't mind it, I love the city vibe and the pros and cons of it. Plenty of my friends still live in various part of Philly with kids in tow. I plan on exploring more this weekend. Maybe spend the night downtown and get a feel for it.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
When is the last time you visited downtown? And honestly, Downtown isn't a good representation. The parts on the north portion of downtown, into Klyde Warren, McKinney Avenue and into uptown are fairly green and full of life.
I'm there all the time. But Uptown is not DT. Klyde Warren is nice. In fact, the nicest part of all UT/DT IMO. But it's the size of a postage stamp. Klyde Warren is IMO opinion the dividing line between UT n DT.

DT is a mess. It's all concrete except on the street by the Museum. Even Klyde Warren Park's trees are just twigs. I wonder if they'll even sustain. And the grass is frequently brown not green.

I'm not trying to berate. But it is what it is. Dallas has a retail shopping experience like no other. Fantastic. Downtown as charming as Westminster? Not so much. I'll give 'em credit. They ARE working on it. It's gonna take a while though. Prolly not in my lifetime.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:42 PM

Hopefully they get an actual Trinity project going and utilize it to bring some great parks. Then it would be a great rival to some of the nicer downtown areas across the country. But to be fair, the picture you posted of Klyde Warren park looks to be in the winter time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas