Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:13 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
Great! Thanks for the advice. Didn't check thread for a few days and am glad to see the feedback.

Right now, we want to make it work where both parents can work. The first 3 months, the mom will be fmla, so she'll be home, but after that, we want to do daycare on the weekdays. I live in downtown Dallas and work in Plano(north tollway, Tennyson exit). Ideally, I can take the kid to daycare in the morning and pick him/her up after work. I was thinking the daycare would be in plano. I heard that overall, plano has good schools. Does that apply to daycare as well?

Having the camera system would be awesome and I would really like that. For me personally, I would like a center that has a focus on development of social skills, motor skills, education, etc etc.

I have heard about the montessori method. Their website gives me the impression that they are really good (and a bit luxurious). Are they as good as they look? What about other centers?

Right now, we are thinking along the lines of 800 to 1000 per month budget
Hello,

For an infant....in plano....your budget may prove to be a little low in two years. Its actually low now and you'll find most centers around your work area will charge closer to $1300 a month for a 4 month old. Montessori schools tend to be cheaper but not that much cheaper...at least in Plano. They also frequently charge large deposits. A large number of them dont take in infants that young either... Maybe because their whole system involves mixing ages. You cant really do that with babies. That said, some do, but the ones that i know of personally would be over the budget you have set.

My advice; most new parents underestimate the cost of having a baby period. I know i did. You know it will be expensive you just dont realize how much. I say pretend you have a baby now, tour the centers, get their admission packets and everything. Thats the way to get an accurate idea of what you will like. Judging based on other people's experience is risky as your wants may vary. Things that seem important now(cameras) may seem secondary when you do an actual tour. It may have tech but you may hate the feel of the place or the kids may seem unhappy or the center may seem crowded.

Your current budget suggests home day care or a center in an area other than the legacy area. If its not firm however there are so many great centers in the area. You just have to decide what feels good to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 08:02 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,373 times
Yeah, your budget is a bit low. Expect to pay around $1200 instead, if you go with a center. Home daycares should be within the range you quoted, maybe even a little less. I believe most Montessori programs start around 18 months-2 years.

One thing to reconsider is the location of the daycare. What happens if you are sick one day and can't go in to work? Will you keep your kid at home or will your wife have to make the drive up to Plano for drop off/pick up? I'm not sure where she works, so this could be an issue.

We have a daycare that is very close to our house. I always drop off and pickup about half the time. There have been times I was sick and couldn't go in to work, so my husband dropped her off. We work in opposite directions, so it would be very inconvenient for him to have to drive all the way to my area of work and then turn around and drive all the way to his work.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 AM

419 posts, read 553,203 times
I will second finding a daycare closer to home, rather than work. It extends the time kiddo is in care but dont underestimate the stress of driving to and from work with a screaming infant in traffic or handing granola bars to the backseat while fishing for dropped legos.

My kids got to a Montessori. Its the opposite side of Plano or I would suggest it. My (to be) 3 month old will start in the fall. It isnt the norm to have an infant program but a handful do. It runs a little higher than the your top range for extended day infant care. I found it to be less than the best rated infant care places, but the toddler/primary years are more expensive. So it balances out. We chose Montessori for my infant because my other two kids will be there and I preferred my baby having the same provider for 18 months. The centers tend to shuffle the kids to a new classroom every months as they are developmentally ready, in order to maximize ratios. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Many parents prefer it. Our personal preference is consistency of care, however, and low turnover.

All that said, if this was my first child, and I didnt have to worry about the older ones, I would find a top quality home daycare. It takes A LOT of time and research and interviews and visits. But the flexibility is unbeatable in the first year or two as well as the relationship your child and your family will develop with the provider. In a perfect world I would have all my kids start at a small home care and move to montessori around 18-24 months.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 AM

55 posts, read 72,884 times
Have you looked at Preston Hollow United Methodist Church Child Development Center. No cameras, but they take good care of the children, which is the most important thing; and have long hours (6 to 6 I think). Its on Walnut Hill between Preston & Hillcrest.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times
Nobody listed what they should actually look for:

NESCAC certified (or something close to that - can't remember the acronym). That's the actual best-daycare certification.

Not too many faults on their periodic inspections. They should be able to provide reports and you can decide if they are important or not.

Close to parent's home or office if they are far apart. (kids get sick a lot - if your baby has fever, they expect you to pick them up in like 15 minutes from when they call)

Hours: Better open at 7:00am and not close until 6:00 pm at the earliest. Most have per minute charges if you are late.

Other stuff: Church daycares have lots of fund raising beyond tuition. I'd budget an extra $200 or so per year at a minimum if you go religious.

If you have special diet, most will accomodate. If you cloth diaper, early pottytrain, or anything else like that, most won't.

Some teach baby sign language, some Spanish, most nothing.

Personally, for a baby, I wouldn't pay the top prices, wait until they are 18months - 2 or so and then it makes more sense to start teaching them things.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:37 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post

Some teach baby sign language, some Spanish, most nothing.

Personally, for a baby, I wouldn't pay the top prices, wait until they are 18months - 2 or so and then it makes more sense to start teaching them things.
This is what I originally thought before I had kids, but I've changed my mind a bit. My daughter is just about to turn 18 months and she already knows about half a dozen signs, half a dozen body parts, and probably a dozen animal noises. She also asks for "agua" and knows it means water. I was really surprised at how quickly they start picking things up around 12 months. My daycare isn't a Montessori or NAEYC accredited (I think that's what you were referencing), but I've been extremely impressed with what they have taught her so far.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:00 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
This is what I originally thought before I had kids, but I've changed my mind a bit. My daughter is just about to turn 18 months and she already knows about half a dozen signs, half a dozen body parts, and probably a dozen animal noises. She also asks for "agua" and knows it means water. I was really surprised at how quickly they start picking things up around 12 months. My daycare isn't a Montessori or NAEYC accredited (I think that's what you were referencing), but I've been extremely impressed with what they have taught her so far.
I agree, its never too early to learn as long as what's being taught is age appropriate. But i think the poster was weighing what is taught against the premium charged for teaching it.

NAEYC accreditation i think is a to-each-his-own type of accreditation. Many reputable child care facilities and pre-schools do not seek it. I know one childcare facility that has it that i wouldnt consider leaving my child in.
(violations galore)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas