U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:17 AM

2,491 posts, read 5,129,184 times

Advertisements

Everyone has pretty much covered most of the topics, the oppressive heat, the 30k millionaires, etc. So i'll only touch on one that hasn't been covered that much. COL.
Dallas is "cheaper" than Seattle, but it's low cost of living ranking is a little misleading. Rents aren't too bad and the median housing price is low for a large city, however, as far as home ownership, real estate taxes are very high. But the primary reason the COL being viewed as low is misleading, is that it doesn't account for the high utilities. For comparison, my utilities in Chicago and Salt Lake were 50% less than what I was paying in Dallas in smaller units. I had electric bills that tyipically ranged from $150 - $400 for 1 bedroom apartments during the summer. Another thing to consider is gas. DFW is sprawling and you'll find that with everything spread out, you'll do a lot of driving. That means more gas, more car maintenance, etc.
In the end, Dallas is still cheaper to live in than Seattle and NYC. Just don't go there expecting a massive decrease in COL from Seattle. With everything you've listed, I don't think you'll like Dallas. Dallas may be in Texas, but it has a very cosmo feel, much more so than any other city in Texas. I found the dating scene to be very tough when I wasn't making lots of money. When I had a nice sports car and near 6 figure salary, the city was my oyster, when I wasn't, it was brutal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 11:20 AM

391 posts, read 366,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Everyone has pretty much covered most of the topics, the oppressive heat, the 30k millionaires, etc. So i'll only touch on one that hasn't been covered that much. COL.
Dallas is "cheaper" than Seattle, but it's low cost of living ranking is a little misleading. Rents aren't too bad and the median housing price is low for a large city, however, as far as home ownership, real estate taxes are very high. But the primary reason the COL being viewed as low is misleading, is that it doesn't account for the high utilities. For comparison, my utilities in Chicago and Salt Lake were 50% less than what I was paying in Dallas in smaller units. I had electric bills that tyipically ranged from $150 - $400 for 1 bedroom apartments during the summer. Another thing to consider is gas. DFW is sprawling and you'll find that with everything spread out, you'll do a lot of driving. That means more gas, more car maintenance, etc.
In the end, Dallas is still cheaper to live in than Seattle and NYC. Just don't go there expecting a massive decrease in COL from Seattle. With everything you've listed, I don't think you'll like Dallas. Dallas may be in Texas, but it has a very cosmo feel, much more so than any other city in Texas. I found the dating scene to be very tough when I wasn't making lots of money. When I had a nice sports car and near 6 figure salary, the city was my oyster, when I wasn't, it was brutal.
Any particular reason i wont like it?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:01 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,586,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
Any particular reason i wont like it?
Dude, this is an anonymous forum, everyone has their own considerations. There is only one reason you might not like Dallas and that reason will lay entirely in your own head. There's thousands of people who move to Dallas every year and that has been the case for dozens of years. I suspect most like it, or if they're trapped then they may hate it. But judging from the part of town to which you're headed, you'll be satisfied. The north side of Dallas wasn't developed because people were trying to get the hell out... other than those who built Richardson and Plano so many years ago.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
Dude, this is an anonymous forum, everyone has their own considerations. There is only one reason you might not like Dallas and that reason will lay entirely in your own head. There's thousands of people who move to Dallas every year and that has been the case for dozens of years. I suspect most like it, or if they're trapped then they may hate it. But judging from the part of town to which you're headed, you'll be satisfied. The north side of Dallas wasn't developed because people were trying to get the hell out... other than those who built Richardson and Plano so many years ago.
He said judging from what i listed i wont like it so im wondering what he meant.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,818,417 times
I'll try and answer your questions directly. But please note that I'm a 28 year old white married father....so it may not be the exact opinion you're looking for.

What's the vibe like?: This is all dependent on the area. Downtown and Uptown are a fast paced young environment that likes to work hard and play hard. The suburbs are more bedroom like communities that mostly consist of families.

Would it be a culture shock to someone coming from NYC/WA?: I've never lived in either city, but I don't think it's going to be a huge SHOCK. DFW will be more conservative than both areas, but it's not IN YOUR FACE politics.

How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations? Are there diverse suburbs?: Most of the diversity in suburbs is to the north in areas like Irving and Plano. Though those are MOSTLY diverse because of the Asian population. I'll try and find a heat map for you that is color coded with races and post it below.

Are there many things to do in the city and suburbs? How do people spend time usually? Eating, drinking, pools/lakes, museums and concerts. We also have quite a few festivals in the surrounding suburbs from beer fests to balloon festivals.

How's nightlife? Are there good museums, strip clubs, concerts, restaurants? We have some great museums, there are plenty of bars(though you'll want to download Uber and use it as we're a driving city), highest per capital strip clubs in the US I believe, every big name artist hits Dallas for concerts and we have tons of restaurants from 5 star fancy to fast food on every corner. Are we at the same level as NYC with museums and food, no. But compared to population, I think we're right there with them.

Are there any good Hip Hop clubs, events, parties?: I can't answer this one for you.

How's the women?: I like them, but I'm a spoken for man now.

Here's the SWEET map: http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/

As you can see in the link and below, most of the diversity to the north is Asian. Most of the population to the south is Hispanic and Black.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:46 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,043,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
He said judging from what i listed i wont like it so im wondering what he meant.
My guess would be that if you don't like Seattle because of the superficial people there, you will dislike Dallas even more because there are a lot of such people here (granted, in a different way, but that's the case).

Beyond that, as the previous poster noted, who knows? I find the Pacific Northwest (lived in portland for 8 years) to be my favorite part of the country, so I don't like Dallas much at all. That said, "climate" and "natural scenic beauty" are major factors for me, and Dallas is kinda lacking in both from my POV. But again, everyone is different.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
My guess would be that if you don't like Seattle because of the superficial people there, you will dislike Dallas even more because there are a lot of such people here (granted, in a different way, but that's the case).

Beyond that, as the previous poster noted, who knows? I find the Pacific Northwest (lived in portland for 8 years) to be my favorite part of the country, so I don't like Dallas much at all. That said, "climate" and "natural scenic beauty" are major factors for me, and Dallas is kinda lacking in both from my POV. But again, everyone is different.
U mean u like Seattles climate in particular or u jus dont like Dallas climate?
I like that its mild here, I dont like when its too hot, but at the same time cant stand the constant drizzle and greyness.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:31 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,586,753 times
Ah, here's one of those culture shock experiences...

When looking for auto parts or repair, you won't find all your choices on one street corner. You're more likely to find a brake shop next to a strip shop of a sandwich shop, w/hair salon, w/battery store, w/ACE hardware...

Open a google map to zip code 75219 and then place the street view avatar on Lemmon Ave. Then move it along Lemmon while looking at both sided of the street. You'll see that stores/shop/commerce is just a random collection of business. More like Tacoma than Seattle. And since they're all open for business - meaning to attract customers - concrete is more important than landscaping. That may be a bit different in the northern 'burbs but Lemmon cuts right through bencronin04's 'fast paced young environment that likes to work hard and play hard'.

The zip code above, 75219, is an Oak Lawn area zip. On the east of Oak Lawn is Turtle Creek... it's a creek and a park. It separates Oak Lawn from Uptown - again, see bencronin04 above. Uptown extends to downtown and is bordered on the east by US75. Uptown is THE place to live and play and where you'll find many of the 30k millionaires. But you'll also find real people having real lives. The area was an original suburb of Dallas, then run down and is now refurbished with condo's, townhomes, and high rises. And bars, and clubs, and restaurants. During the winter you can even walk to them. And just at the northern edge of Oak Lawn and Uptown is Highland Park, the Mercer Island of Dallas, without the vertical drive ways.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
Ah, here's one of those culture shock experiences...

When looking for auto parts or repair, you won't find all your choices on one street corner. You're more likely to find a brake shop next to a strip shop of a sandwich shop, w/hair salon, w/battery store, w/ACE hardware...

Open a google map to zip code 75219 and then place the street view avatar on Lemmon Ave. Then move it along Lemmon while looking at both sided of the street. You'll see that stores/shop/commerce is just a random collection of business. More like Tacoma than Seattle. And since they're all open for business - meaning to attract customers - concrete is more important than landscaping. That may be a bit different in the northern 'burbs but Lemmon cuts right through bencronin04's 'fast paced young environment that likes to work hard and play hard'.

The zip code above, 75219, is an Oak Lawn area zip. On the east of Oak Lawn is Turtle Creek... it's a creek and a park. It separates Oak Lawn from Uptown - again, see bencronin04 above. Uptown extends to downtown and is bordered on the east by US75. Uptown is THE place to live and play and where you'll find many of the 30k millionaires. But you'll also find real people having real lives. The area was an original suburb of Dallas, then run down and is now refurbished with condo's, townhomes, and high rises. And bars, and clubs, and restaurants. During the winter you can even walk to them. And just at the northern edge of Oak Lawn and Uptown is Highland Park, the Mercer Island of Dallas, without the vertical drive ways.
Thats not a big deal for me, and I think its like this everywhere.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:42 PM

13,089 posts, read 3,822,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
Eh, Dallas being cheap is what you make of it. Most of your cost in NY is going towards rent, and granted you get more for your rent money here in Dallas, but with what's leftover you spend on gas, car insurance/payments, tolls, valet (which is ridiculous imo when I can park my car myself two yards away) etc.
As a blanket statement that's ridiculous. I've lived in Dallas for 23 years, and I don't think I've ever put 10,000 miles on my car in a year. Just live near where you work. It's a simple formula. I could easily go 6 months without paying a toll. And valet parking is almost always a matter of choice. There's usually another place to park if you're willing to spend 5-10 minutes finding a spot and walking to your destination.

Quote:
In the end you'll probably come out ahead, but there's a chance you'll spend a good chunk of that trying to escape DFW for better climes during the summer to get away from the heat.
There's only been one summer since I've been here when the heat was a problem. Otherwise, A/C and swimming pools make the summers tolerable or even, for some (especially young, single people), the best time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or