Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 10:49 AM

8 posts, read 109,257 times

Advertisements

I am planning on relocating to the Dallas area this year and was curious about the high schools in the Northeast Dallas area. From what I have seen, the elementary schools are good but not impressed with the high schools in the Plano and Allen areas. I do like those areas but need to know more about the high schools first! Don't want to hear about TAK scores but more about the school itself because we all know there is more to high school than standardized test scores. Need some insight from someone who has dealt with the school system there or someone that is from the area, PLEASE! It is a little hard to make an informed decision based on what is available to you via the internet without the experience. Wanting to know more about administration, discipline, dress codes, curriculum, education, and the like. Basically, I don't want to feel like I have to put my son in private school. I feel like all kids should be able to get a decent education and that private school should be a choice. Thanks for any help you can give me! Oh, all areas are welcome, not just Plano and Allen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 01:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Woodrow Wilson and Lake Highlands are great high schools with phenomenal community support in Northeast Dallas. Use search feature above to find threads on them --

Here's some info on my alma mater:

Woodrow Wilson High School (Dallas, Texas) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Woodrow Wilson High School

Woodrow Wilson High School, Dallas TX

http://woodrowwildcats.org/historic_woodrow.pdf (broken link)

Woodrow Wilson High School Dallas-Reunion Center

And the the neighborhood:

Lakewood-Now.net - Dallas Texas - online community newspaper (http://lakewood-now.net/ - broken link)

Archives (http://advocatemag.com/archives/list_archives.php - broken link) - this also has LH info..

Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Richardson is also nice.

But Lakewood is nicer.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:32 PM

Post Dallas high schools

Just want to say thank you for your responses. It was very helpful. Thought I would have had more responses though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Woodrow Wilson and Lake Highlands are great high schools with phenomenal community support in Northeast Dallas. Use search feature above to find threads on them --

Here's some info on my alma mater:

Woodrow Wilson High School (Dallas, Texas) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Woodrow Wilson High School

Woodrow Wilson High School, Dallas TX

http://woodrowwildcats.org/historic_woodrow.pdf (broken link)

Woodrow Wilson High School Dallas-Reunion Center

And the the neighborhood:

Lakewood-Now.net - Dallas Texas - online community newspaper (http://lakewood-now.net/ - broken link)

Archives (http://advocatemag.com/archives/list_archives.php - broken link) - this also has LH info..

Old 01-16-2008, 12:51 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,878 times
Default NE Dallas

Hi: Just wanted to clarify...if you are talking about NE Dallas that is the area by Woodrow Wilson HS and some of the Richardson schools which overlap into the city of Dallas (Lake Highlands--my alma mater but not sure about it nowadays). Plano West HS, which is the last area where we lived when we were in Texas (6 years ago) is EXCELLENT. In fact, we have lived all over the U.S. and outside the U.S. and I would be thrilled if any of the schools we have been exposed to were HALF the quality Plano West was. That being said, it IS large and if you don't want to have a huge high school for your child, then don't consider it. Richardson schools used to be regarded as really good but that was when I was little. I think some of them are coming back and others have remained good. My personal preference is that I wouldn't send my kids there. Allen is its own school district. I've heard it's good, too. Out of the choices given, I would pick Plano (West)--not Plano East then Allen, then Richardson, in that order. I don't know anything about Woodrow though anymore, but love that area with all its trees and the lake and if I could be assured that it was a great school, I would definitely consider that. It's probably a bit more urbanized (and rougher) than some of the other schools, although I wouldn't think it was unsafe or anything like that.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:25 PM

Thanks alot. I guess I should say that I am also including the the east counties as well. I have heard about Allen but was wondering if there were any other schools that should be considered outside of Allen and Plano. You know, surrounding areas, not just hot spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas