Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 05:41 PM

30 posts, read 40,017 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I thought it would be fun to get DFW's pulse on commutes. If you commute to work, I am interested in response to the following questions:

1. What is your most common daily commute (time of day, distance covered, average time)

2. On a scale of 1-10, how important was a short commute to you (1 - not at all, you would happily commute over an hour; 10 - walking/biking distance to work/job center)

3. What is the maximum length you would be willing to commute (time and distance)

4. Do you enjoy your daily commute and how do you commute (bike, walk, fly, drive)

5. What do you estimate the daily cost of your commute if you don't factor in your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 05:53 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
1. What is your most common daily commute (time of day, distance covered, average time)

8:30 am and 5pm. Coppell to Plano (off 75) via the George Bush. 20-25 minutes pretty reliably.

2. On a scale of 1-10, how important was a short commute to you (1 - not at all, you would happily commute over an hour; 10 - walking/biking distance to work/job center)

3. What is the maximum length you would be willing to commute (time and distance)

Probably 45 minutes...distance doesn't matter. On Thursdays I do a Coppell to Argyle to Plano and back again in the evening commute so the kids can be with their Grandma. That is brutal.

4. Do you enjoy your daily commute and how do you commute (bike, walk, fly, drive)

Eh. It's a necessary evil. I enjoy listening to music and I'm using the time to learn to yodel. (no joke-it's fun!)

5. What do you estimate the daily cost of your commute if you don't factor in your time

I think it is about $6-7. Tolls add up, but the time saved is worth it.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs87 View Post
Hello all!

I thought it would be fun to get DFW's pulse on commutes. If you commute to work, I am interested in response to the following questions:

1. Average in the morning is 30 minutes. Afternoon, 20.

2. 10.

3. 30-35 minutes.

4. No.

5. Too much math for a Friday night.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:44 PM

205 posts, read 334,225 times
> Coppell to Frisco (SRT) 8.30am, 15 miles 20-25 mins

> 6

> 45 mins 30 miles

> yes sir, drive

> $8

Old 02-21-2015, 08:54 AM

179 posts, read 284,869 times
Quote:

1. About 2 minutes. I live 2 blocks from my office and it takes longer to get down the elevator sometimes than actually get to work. Moving to Frisco soon, so this will get infinitely worse.

2. 1, while my office is close, my clients are all over.

3. 1 hour

4. Sadly I drive 2 blocks because there are few days where I remain there all day.

5. $0, any travel to clients is expensed.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 AM

290 posts, read 388,027 times
Quote:
Hello all!

7:45AM, 3 miles (maybe not even that, lol sorry!), 10 minutes

30 min/15 miles - if the location and place was worth it

Drive, and I love it other than every red light at times when I'm in a rush. I can't really complain with a 3 mile commute

.. pennies?

Old 02-21-2015, 11:05 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Hello all!

1. Start at 8AM and 6PM. 26 miles each way. About 45 minutes.

2. About an 8, but that's combined commute times for both me and spouse. For various reasons it made more sense for her to have the shorter commute if we had to choose.

3. Time, probably a little over an hour. BTDT, didn't like it but endured. Distance isn't very important, it's all about time.

4. Drive. It's bearable, could be worse.

5. Tolls vary depending on route, but call it an average of $2/day roundtrip. Biggest expense is likely gas (close to 2 gallons roundtrip, so anywhere from $4 to almost $8 depending on what gas prices are doing. Recently that's been closer to $4). My car is old and cheap, so effective depreciation/etc. costs are really low, but if we assume 2 cents/mile in maintenance/whatever costs, that does add up to another buck.

So, $2 tolls plus let's say $6 gas on average, plus another buck towards car "stuff", makes $9/day. Yeah, it adds up.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Hello all!

1. I have a typical AM and PM commuting schedule. It takes me about 30 mins to go 10 miles. That's one way, so I spend close to one hour a day total in my car if I am just going to and from work on weekdays.

2. I'd say about a 7. I had a previous job that was either a 3 min drive or about a 10-15 min walk.

3. I can't say for sure but I'm probably pretty close to the max right now. Would depend on pay, personal factors at a given time, etc.

4. No.

5. I'd have to allocate my car insurance payments on a weekly basis, gas, and car repairs over the course of a typical year to give a concrete answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: