Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:24 PM

7 posts, read 10,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojiaka View Post
1. Is "tip" the new word for "hook"? Or just OP's word for a category that she has expanded to include students getting extra time?

2. I find it borderline offensive that she appears to have asked her child* to list specific students that, for example, get extra time. I am also a little skeptical that she or her child would know everyone's specific legacy status.

3. Very sad that all of elementary and secondary school appears to have telescoped down to just college admissions for the OP.
There are many advantages in a private education, but a lot of people are mainly interested in the preparatory nature of these schools.
I am sorry if you find it borderline offensive that my child told me who had extra time. My child was outraged that people all of a sudden in 11th grade were taking 3 AP courses and getting extra time in all of them FOR THE FIRST TIME in 10 years. I asked her how many in her AP US history class section fell into that category- she said 50% !! Some of them were concussion extra timers who had not quit their sport, not taken any time off, still taking 3 APs- and getting extra time. I genuinely felt sorry for these children and thought the school ought not to have allowed it. But I also felt for my child, who considered a lot of it cheating .
If your child is in a school for 12 years and you are even marginally friendly, interested in people, sociable, and interested in their children, and an active volunteer at the school, then you can easily know where the parents went to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:44 PM

76 posts, read 92,248 times
Is 3 AP classes considered a lot? Serious question.

I went to (public) high school in California and most people in 11th grade took at least 4-5 AP classes, some of them up to 6 or 7.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:27 PM

88 posts, read 152,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantCow View Post
Is 3 AP classes considered a lot? Serious question.

I went to (public) high school in California and most people in 11th grade took at least 4-5 AP classes, some of them up to 6 or 7.

yes. My son took 5 APs in 11th grade in Irvine High in California with varsity volleyball, several clubs and community service.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:20 AM

990 posts, read 2,295,501 times
There are plenty of kids in the area taking more than 3 AP classes. 20 years ago every class I had was IB and AP if it wasn't offered in IB. And that was at Garland High, not even considered attendable on this board.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:14 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,904,400 times
Greenhill only allows 3 APs - so we can make a good guess where the OP's kid attends school.

---

Setting aside the "extra time" issue, there is a useful takeaway here. A fair amount of college admission success is, indeed, due to "tips" such as those the OP cites. And kids with those advantages are found in much greater proportions in private schools. These "tips", by and large, aren't created by the private school - the kids bring those to the table from the outside. As a result, the benefit of private school - by itself - is overstated.

For example, Hockaday probably has better admissions success with Ivies than, say, Southlake Carroll. A prospective parent might ascribe that effect mostly to the Hockaday educational process, while, in reality, a good chunk of that may come simply from having several legacy kids at Hockaday. In effect, an ordinary (non-legacy) student from Hockaday may have much less of an advantage over a public kid than the raw numbers would imply - or even a disadvantage, if it turns out the "Hockaday spots" at elite colleges are first filled with the legacies.

Last edited by Big G; 02-25-2015 at 08:19 AM..

Old 02-25-2015, 08:10 AM

511 posts, read 835,122 times
My son still has his tip. I think most HS seniors in Texas have no tips though since circumcision is still the norm here. HTH.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:37 AM

769 posts, read 777,902 times
I think tipping less than 15% for decent performance is cheap.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:44 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,668,429 times
OP you still need to define what you mean by tips. Your first post really makes no sense. Most kids I know take 5-6 AP classes as well. Why would it be offensive if someone in 11th grade starts taking AP? Perhaps they weren't ready in younger years and finally felt they were.

I know when I went to high school (years ago). I had no idea I could just take an AP course. I thought you had to be recommended by the teacher. Once I learned I could sign up for any course available, I took all AP my junior and senior years. It's hard not to make a blanket judgement, but you truly have no idea what's going on or happening in everyone's life.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:45 AM

290 posts, read 386,015 times
What kills me is that she said her daughter stated that 50% are getting more time. How do you possibly know this, and why? Why do you care that students started taking AP classes in 11th grade and not prior? I think you seem to be a bit too concerned about the other students and what they are doing/not doing instead of yours.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:56 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,524,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
My son still has his tip. I think most HS seniors in Texas have no tips though since circumcision is still the norm here. HTH.
This thread got (unintentionally) pretty funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas