Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:46 PM

11,821 posts, read 26,709,231 times

Advertisements

I'm an active member of a group for DFW Military Spouses. We have a lot of fun, and I have met some great ladies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 06:05 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,988,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
There are female groups designated to fitness/socializing that you may enjoy. I joined one that did weekend jogs at the Katy Trail, HH's, Piyo, and shopping. It was fun, still friends with some of those girls.
Hey Tamara. I think I joined one of those groups. I'm pretty flexible with this as I'm mostly looking for motivation to get out there and keep active.Sometimes it's easier to find that motivation in groups, you know?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:09 PM

290 posts, read 385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Hey Tamara. I think I joined one of those groups. I'm pretty flexible with this as I'm mostly looking for motivation to get out there and keep active.Sometimes it's easier to find that motivation in groups, you know?
Oh absolutely. It became so friendly that they call me when I miss workouts.. lol.. I hate it, but I love it It's also a fun social setting, so it makes you that more motivated to go!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:10 PM

5,428 posts, read 4,419,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I hope the ones I joined aren't "find a mate" in motive. I'm really not that kind of girl so I'd like to avoid it if I can.
If the group is a generic interest group that mostly meets at bars, all the guys there are looking for romantic options.

If it is an activity based group (sailing, tennis, golf, running, etc), you are probably better off.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:11 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,988,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
Oh absolutely. It became so friendly that they call me when I miss workouts.. lol.. I hate it, but I love it It's also a fun social setting, so it makes you that more motivated to go!
That's good! I'm trying to see if I can get a good 5-6 days a week of workouts in. No excuses! lol

Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 AM

631 posts, read 876,652 times
There's a grain of truth to some of the complaints about meetup, but I wouldn't be too quick to generalize everyone that uses the site as some sort of weirdo who "can't make friends". Is everyone who posts here a weirdo who can't talk to people in real life?

I occasionally go to a meetup that does rock climbing, book club, cultural stuff like the DMA, as well as assorted bar happy hours. I count several of the people that I met from there as my "offline" friends now. PM me if you're interested in which group it is.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:50 PM

12 posts, read 21,316 times
I'm not in my 20's. I'm in my 40's. In my experience not being able to make friends here doesn't mean there's something wrong with you. I'm divorced, my children are grown. I don't have any family here. I don't go to church. I didn't know a soul here other than my co-workers. Most of my co-workers are married with families or have different interests. Most have lived here for many years or are natives. They have their own cliques.

I can online date and can date as often as I want. I have found it more difficult to find people to just hang out with. I have found Meetup to be very useful in that way. There are a LOT of people there who are new or newish to DFW who have also found it difficult to make friends outside of work. There are groups for just about every interest. It's a way to get to get to know people, different areas in DFW,, events, restaurants, all sorts of things. I joined quite a few groups at first and as time went on I settled into 3 where I enjoyed the people the most.

I've found the groups normally make an effort to make new people feel welcome. From what I've seen there's a group of regulars that will go to most every outing. Then there's a group of people that show up less regularly but still enough to be known by the regulars. Then, you've got the people that wander in and out.

There are plenty of choices specifically for people in your age group. Try it.

I wish I had done this as soon as I moved here. You will know if the group doesn't feel right for you fairly quickly. There are...special people out there, sure. Drop out if you're not comfortable. I dropped out of quite a few that felt weird to me.

I'm not in any of the "meet a mate" groups. Some of them are all about that.

Most are people with like interests hanging out. However, even in those groups, it's the women that seem to take GREAT interest in the male members of the group.

The men know who's there looking. No one is going to hit up hard on you. They don't have to. The men are big fish in little ponds for the women that are looking and the men know it. LOL.

As long as you remember there ain't no fish bigger than you, you need not be concerned. The guys are very nice and if there is a weirdo making a woman feel uncomfortable I've seen the men take that man aside a minute. I've only seen that once. Don't set up your profile where everyone can message you. Set it up where only people in the groups you belong to can message you.

I recommend Meetup highly for anyone who's new to DFW.

Have a great time!

Old 03-08-2015, 12:52 AM

816 posts, read 915,002 times
I used meetup to find a place to watch the Bears game with Bears fans.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 AM

5,428 posts, read 4,419,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movie View Post
Most are people with like interests hanging out. However, even in those groups, it's the women that seem to take GREAT interest in the male members of the group.

The men know who's there looking. No one is going to hit up hard on you. They don't have to. The men are big fish in little ponds for the women that are looking and the men know it. LOL.
Hmmm, intriguing. Demographically speaking, you are in a way different category than I am. In groups that are primarily 25-35, there's a oversupply of men usually going for women.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:29 PM

290 posts, read 385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movie View Post
I'm not in my 20's. I'm in my 40's. In my experience not being able to make friends here doesn't mean there's something wrong with you. I'm divorced, my children are grown. I don't have any family here. I don't go to church. I didn't know a soul here other than my co-workers. Most of my co-workers are married with families or have different interests. Most have lived here for many years or are natives. They have their own cliques.

I can online date and can date as often as I want. I have found it more difficult to find people to just hang out with. I have found Meetup to be very useful in that way. There are a LOT of people there who are new or newish to DFW who have also found it difficult to make friends outside of work. There are groups for just about every interest. It's a way to get to get to know people, different areas in DFW,, events, restaurants, all sorts of things. I joined quite a few groups at first and as time went on I settled into 3 where I enjoyed the people the most.

I've found the groups normally make an effort to make new people feel welcome. From what I've seen there's a group of regulars that will go to most every outing. Then there's a group of people that show up less regularly but still enough to be known by the regulars. Then, you've got the people that wander in and out.

There are plenty of choices specifically for people in your age group. Try it.

I wish I had done this as soon as I moved here. You will know if the group doesn't feel right for you fairly quickly. There are...special people out there, sure. Drop out if you're not comfortable. I dropped out of quite a few that felt weird to me.

I'm not in any of the "meet a mate" groups. Some of them are all about that.

As long as you remember there ain't no fish bigger than you, you need not be concerned. The guys are very nice and if there is a weirdo making a woman feel uncomfortable I've seen the men take that man aside a minute. I've only seen that once. Don't set up your profile where everyone can message you. Set it up where only people in the groups you belong to can message you.

I recommend Meetup highly for anyone who's new to DFW.

Have a great time!

Great post - I agree. Meetup was great for me when I first moved here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas