Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,707,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Great neighborhood but just dont leave your home unattended during mid-day
Says who? I know MANY, MANY people that live there that have never had a problem. It is a VERY desireable neighborhood and one w/o much turnover and homes for sale. Even homes that have not been updated sell fast in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 04:59 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,707,787 times
Quote:
Plano is very congested Traffic wise, mainly due to the tons of shopping available in the southern Plano area along I-75.

Yes Buckingham does sell beer and it is part of Richardson, but its such a small pocket, not to mention expensive, that its far more convenient to go to Plano to get you beer & wine.

Also there are parts of Garland that are growing more and more with beer stores & wine etc. Eventually all of Richardson will be the same. Which doesn't necessarily mean its a bad thing.

Richardson has nice parks, like Huffines park. Its great for kids and has more trees (shade) than most other parks.

The Richardson police is very responsive but on the same hand they seem to be more relaxed when it comes to catching speeders. Not like Plano, they are hungry to meet quotas all the time.

You get much better dining choices in Plano as opposed to Richardson.

In the east side of Richardson, you have a few grocery stores like Albertsons and maybe a Minyards over there but its technically Garland.

Plano has a Fry's electronics which is close to Richardson's north east side so its convenient for getting cheap computers & parts, toys etc.

If I had to choose, I would choose Plano as the winner. I would move there if I were you and get your kids enrolled in Plano schools. Statistics dont lie.

I don't know when or how long ago you lived in the metroplex and for how long but most of your information is outdated.

1. Yes, Plano does have an issue w/ traffic congestion but it is NOT because of the shopping along Central Expwy/75. Try Preston Road sometime. There is more traffic congestion in the area of West Plano than there is in Plano along 75 barring the current road construction going on right now.

2. The sale of beer & wine has been approved for awhile now and is available in the grocery stores in Richardson. People in Richardson have no need to go to Plano to buy beer & wine. Richardson is the ONLY city of the three mentioned that has an area that sells Hard Liquor and that is in the area of Buckingham. Plano does NOT sell hard liquor anywhere.

3. All of Garland also sells beer & wine now and has for several years.

4. Breckinridge Park in FARTHER East Richardson blows Huffhines away.

5. The police departments in BOTH cities actively patrol for speeders.

6. True, there are more dining establishments in Plano than Richardson but Plano is also MUCH larger than Richardson.

7. The Minyards on Jupiter is closed but that is NOT Far East Richardson. THere are several VERY NICE and new grocery stores much further east in Richardson. Richardson also has a SuperTarget at the old Richardson Square Mall location that is GREAT!

8. woo-hoo, Fry's. I avoid that place like the plague. Don't care for their lack of customer service but that is a whole nother story.

9. I'd take Richardson schools over Plano anyday. My sis taught in them so I do know what goes on the INSIDE. Not everything is as perfect as it seems. TAKS scores DO lie

BTW, good luck w/ the move from the Pacific Northwest to back over to the east coast.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:41 PM

206 posts, read 527,545 times
Default Thanks!

I would like to thank everyone of you who took the time to provide this very helpful and important information. You may never know how greatly it is appreciated. I don't drink so i won't need liquor stores, but i will check out both areas once i'm there. I just about think Plano has won me over.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:51 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,388,219 times
Check out this new parks and recs facility Plano has:
The City of Plano, Texas Official Website (http://www.plano.gov/Departments/parksandrecreation/Parks_Facilities/muehlenbeck_center.htm - broken link). Richardson has nothing like it.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:27 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,215,873 times
Quote:
Plano is very congested Traffic wise, mainly due to the tons of shopping available in the southern Plano area along I-75.

Yes Buckingham does sell beer and it is part of Richardson, but its such a small pocket, not to mention expensive, that its far more convenient to go to Plano to get you beer & wine.

Also there are parts of Garland that are growing more and more with beer stores & wine etc. Eventually all of Richardson will be the same. Which doesn't necessarily mean its a bad thing.

Richardson has nice parks, like Huffines park. Its great for kids and has more trees (shade) than most other parks.

The Richardson police is very responsive but on the same hand they seem to be more relaxed when it comes to catching speeders. Not like Plano, they are hungry to meet quotas all the time.

You get much better dining choices in Plano as opposed to Richardson.

In the east side of Richardson, you have a few grocery stores like Albertsons and maybe a Minyards over there but its technically Garland.

Plano has a Fry's electronics which is close to Richardson's north east side so its convenient for getting cheap computers & parts, toys etc.

If I had to choose, I would choose Plano as the winner. I would move there if I were you and get your kids enrolled in Plano schools. Statistics dont lie.
The Minyards on Arapaho and Jupiter closed a couple months back, There's a Tom Thumb at the next light, on Shiloh and Arapaho.

I believe the Albertsons on Buckingham and Jupiter is still open, and there is a Walmart Neighborhood Market on Buckingham and Plano.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:53 PM

712 posts, read 1,363,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I don't know when or how long ago you lived in the metroplex and for how long but most of your information is outdated.

I was in Richardson 3 weeks ago for a family emergency - I was there 2 weeks. I drove around ALOT the areas I used to live in. Addison, Dallas, Plano, Richardson, Mesquite and even Garland.

1. Yes, Plano does have an issue w/ traffic congestion but it is NOT because of the shopping along Central Expwy/75. Try Preston Road sometime. There is more traffic congestion in the area of West Plano than there is in Plano along 75 barring the current road construction going on right now.

It is not a matter for arguement. Just turn on the news when they report traffic - From high above the metroplex, Chip Wagoner will tell you.

2. The sale of beer & wine has been approved for awhile now and is available in the grocery stores in Richardson. People in Richardson have no need to go to Plano to buy beer & wine. Richardson is the ONLY city of the three mentioned that has an area that sells Hard Liquor and that is in the area of Buckingham. Plano does NOT sell hard liquor anywhere.

You cannot buy beer at Alberton's on Plano Rd and Buckingham. West Richardson may be a different case now, I will give you that.

3. All of Garland also sells beer & wine now and has for several years.

Here is the truth: NOT every supermarket or convenience store in Garland sells alchohol yet.

4. Breckinridge Park in FARTHER East Richardson blows Huffhines away.

I will give you that. I was not claiming Huffines as being the best park. I just wanted to give an example.

5. The police departments in BOTH cities actively patrol for speeders.

Not East Richardson. I can give you that for parts close to Plano and West of 75.

6. True, there are more dining establishments in Plano than Richardson but Plano is also MUCH larger than Richardson.

OK

7. The Minyards on Jupiter is closed but that is NOT Far East Richardson. THere are several VERY NICE and new grocery stores much further east in Richardson. Richardson also has a SuperTarget at the old Richardson Square Mall location that is GREAT!

That Minyards was an oversight. Thanks for pointing that out. Sad to hear that, as it was cheap shopping (maybe not the best chicken & meat).

8. woo-hoo, Fry's. I avoid that place like the plague. Don't care for their lack of customer service but that is a whole nother story.

That would be a personal experience . This should not take away from their cheap prices and proximity to Richardson.

9. I'd take Richardson schools over Plano anyday. My sis taught in them so I do know what goes on the INSIDE. Not everything is as perfect as it seems. TAKS scores DO lie

I would want to see proof on this. I think most people agree that Plano schools have a better rep.

BTW, good luck w/ the move from the Pacific Northwest to back over to the east coast.

Thank you!
By the way, please dont take these comments as any type of attack. I have to let OP know of the truth.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:52 PM

206 posts, read 527,545 times
Default Parks and Recreation Center

Wow! plano's park and rec center looks great, and that would be right on time. I need to get back in shape and my kids love the water.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:07 PM

87 posts, read 118,098 times
Canyon Creek is great just NW of Campbell & Central near Telecom Corridor. It is overlooked and very safe. Many older homes are being torn down & rebuilt as McMansions. The land is very valuable. Great Country Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas