Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 11,530 times

Advertisements

Hello there. I will soon be a new Toyota transplant from Torrance to Dallas. I currently reside in Rancho Palos Verdes. Homes in this area begin at $1M and go up to well over $15M. My wife is stay at home and very active in school. We toured Dallas area last year. We want a home with a large yard. 30-40min commute is ok with me. So far we looked at Flower Mound, Southlake, Frisco (Starwood). Didn't go up to McKinney but I hear that its worth checking out. We don't necessarily need a new construction. Older is fine as long as neighborhood matches the lifestyle of upper middle to upper class. We scratched Park cities off our list - airport and fwy noise were too much.

We want to live in a area that is "Older". Prefer residents with working professionals, business execs, athletes, lawyers, doctors.

Question - we want the look of a $Million neighborhood. Any thoughts on which city would be a good fit for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:07 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Southlake or Flower Mound to Plano will be a really long commute. They would be at the max of your time limit, if not over it. I would take both of them off of your list.

Honestly, look at Plano. There are plenty of homes that meet your criteria there.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:08 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Older isn't really what you are going to find in the northern suburbs. Also, what constitutes a "large" yard? Big enough for a pool? Or 1/2 acre or bigger?

Maybe you would like that Tucker Hill development in McKinney/Prosper for the look?

If you are working in Plano, there is no reason to look at Southlake or Flower Mound. Too far when you can get the same with a closer commute

Old 03-09-2015, 07:26 PM

38 posts, read 46,898 times
Plano is nice and schools are OK. Southlake is exceptional and some of highest rated schools in the state, yet it is a 50 minute commute to Dallas EXCEPT I think your Toyota Headquarters are in Plano. Therefore, it is probably 30 minutes. I know through a third party that your CEO has purchased a house in nearby Westlake, which is one city further from Plano than Southlake. Flower Mound has really nice homes near Tour 18 area, too. Best of luck to you and Welcome to Texas!!

Old 03-09-2015, 07:38 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inahi View Post
Hello there. I will soon be a new Toyota transplant from Torrance to Dallas. I currently reside in Rancho Palos Verdes. Homes in this area begin at $1M and go up to well over $15M. My wife is stay at home and very active in school. We toured Dallas area last year. We want a home with a large yard. 30-40min commute is ok with me. So far we looked at Flower Mound, Southlake, Frisco (Starwood). Didn't go up to McKinney but I hear that its worth checking out. We don't necessarily need a new construction. Older is fine as long as neighborhood matches the lifestyle of upper middle to upper class. We scratched Park cities off our list - airport and fwy noise were too much.

We want to live in a area that is "Older". Prefer residents with working professionals, business execs, athletes, lawyers, doctors.

Question - we want the look of a $Million neighborhood. Any thoughts on which city would be a good fit for us?
You should look in the estate area of Preston Hollow in Dallas (75220,75229). All of the elite private schools are nearby, it's easy to find a .5-2 acre lot if you have the budget, and it's like a piece of the country in the city (meandering streets, mature trees, creeks, private lakes, etc). 20 minutes to Toyota HQ via Dallas North Tollroad. Your neighbors would include former President Bush, Dirk Nowitzki, Ross Perot, high profile CEO's, etc. Plenty of opportunities for your wife to get involved in volunteering, school, and other social activities. It's close to the Park Cities, but a completely different feel. Less traffic, more secluded / private.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3-63442?row=11
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2-38017?row=20
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0-85384?row=23
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...90-39171?row=9

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 03-09-2015 at 08:04 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 07:39 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Two questions, what is your budget for a home and what do you consider older?

Both Plano and McKinney should be at the top of your list. In Plano, the area around Willow Bend is full of $1mil+ homes, with most being built in the 80's through 2000.

In McKinney, you have the Stonebridge Ranch development. There are several neighborhoods in SBR that are gated, have multi-million dollar homes, and with homes built about the same timeframe as West Plano. McKinney also has some newer developments that you might like, Kings Lake, or the Estates at SBR, both gated with very nice homes.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:50 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Quote:
Southlake is exceptional and some of highest rated schools in the state, yet it is a 50 minute commute to Dallas EXCEPT I think your Toyota Headquarters are in Plano. Therefore, it is probably 30 minutes.
There is no way Southlake is a 30 minute commute.

Tour 18 in Flower Mound is gorgeous, but you again are looking at a 50-75+ min commute from there. Take it from someone who has done it!

OP--Are you concerned about schools for children? I wasn't sure what you meant by the comment about your wife being active in school. That might influence your decision too.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:28 PM

thanks to everyone for their quick reply. my budget is between $750-$1M. Lot size is between 1/2- 1 acre. large enough for a pool and grassy area for kids to play. in addition, we need in law apt. or guest house is ideal for long term visitors.

another question - are utilities as high as some indicate? am I really going to pay $800/month I summer to cool a 5000 sq ft home?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 PM

yes, I'm looking for excellent schools. I think public schools in area are as good as many of the private schools in LA. If we decided to move to Preston Hollow, what is the range for private school tuition?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:59 PM

142 posts, read 213,998 times
My realtor is working with Toyota's relocation and she said that Normandy Estates, Red Wolf Estates, Willlow Bend Country, Lakeside at Preston and Hills at Prestonwood are getting a lot of interest thanks to Plano West Schools.

Ones willing/able to spend $25K+/child on private schooling are looking in PrestonHollow but Soutlake and Flowermound are not getting much attention due to long commute. HP is a contender as always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas