Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:53 PM

74 posts, read 86,018 times

Advertisements

19-year-old Jesuit Dallas graduate seen leading racist chant in OU SAE video | Dallas Morning News

Dallas Jesuit grad pegged as leader of racist OU fraternity chant - CultureMap Dallas

Parker Rice, the OU Frat Kid in That Racist Video, Is From Dallas | FrontBurner | D Magazine

Leader of Racist OU Chant Went to Dallas Jesuit | Dallas Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,099,766 times
Saw that. Took me about five minutes to find the family's address. If I can do it that quickly, I'm sure others can too. Based off reports on the evening news, they're not in. Probably for the best...I'm sure they're getting lots of hate mail & nasty texts/phone calls.

I hope they make that spoiled turd work his way through Sul Ross State University waiting tables. However, he'll likely end up in a luxury condo close to SMU or TCU.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:24 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,114,624 times
The second boy was a 2014 HP graduate. There are a ton of HP and Dallas private school grads in that chapter.

Disgusting and inexcusable behavior. Their lives are forever ruined. Any potential employer, date, etc will be able to google them and find this.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,099,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The second boy was a 2014 HP graduate. There are a ton of HP and Dallas private school grads in that chapter.

Disgusting and inexcusable behavior.
Indeed.

I went Greek in college but never saw this sort of behavior in my sorority or at any fraternity gatherings I attended. Then again, I also never went to parties at SAE or KA Order. Both had quite the reputation at UT. So did the Tri-Delts. I don't know if any of it was true, don't really care either. I never hung out with them.

I will say this, though; it would have been a cold day in hell when our house mother would twirl around singing along to rap songs. She'd get pissy if you didn't pass food left to right at dinner.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:30 PM

500 posts, read 770,587 times
Quote:
Then again, he can probably join John Hinckley on the wiki page about HPHS alumni Highland Park High School (University Park, Texas) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-10-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Indeed.

I went Greek in college but never saw this sort of behavior in my sorority or at any fraternity gatherings I attended. Then again, I also never went to parties at SAE or KA Order. Both had quite the reputation at UT. So did the Tri-Delts. I don't know if any of it was true, don't really care either. I never hung out with them.
I was Greek, too, and never saw or heard anything like this. While there weren't many non-white/Christian women in the Greek system at my school, whenever they did to through rush, we evaluated them the same as any other potential new member (what talents could she bring to the house- leadership, high gpa, a great singer or dancer for skits, a heart for volunteer work, etc AND was she someone we wanted for a sister - ie, fun, easy-going, good listener, loyal, etc). As a result, we had a diverse house and were stronger for it!

The interesting thing about SAE is that their nationals have been leaders of anti-hazing and other risk management issues. Just last year, SAE was the first fraternity to do away with pledging. Once a bid is offered, the man becomes a full member of the fraternity- no hazing, no pledge ship process, etc. It's sad that they're going to be known for being racist because of the actions of a few dozen bad apples in one chapter than for all the good they've done to make the fraternity more inclusive and safe for all.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 PM

762 posts, read 1,183,826 times
Quote:
. Their lives are forever ruined.
Hardly.

Disgusting, inexcusable, behavior yes. "Lives forever ruined" is a bit much. These are very privileged people. They will surely recover.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:50 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,284,334 times
The behavior is horrible and he does deserve to be punished, but I do find it sad / pitiful his life is ruined for a stupid chant when he was 19 years old. He would have arguably had a better future if he got drunk and killed a person, or committed a felony, etc. I suspect that there are many people that have told racists jokes or used a racial slur (maybe against me or a family member) in a fit of anger- fortunately for them it did not go viral.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
Hardly.

Disgusting, inexcusable, behavior yes. "Lives forever ruined" is a bit much. These are very privileged people. They will surely recover.
In the digital age, this is not something that will simply go away or blow over. It's a lot different than when people did stupid things 20 years ago....maybe a single newspaper clipping, but this kid's name is literally in thousands of news articles and blogs.

Their lives are on a different trajectory now than they were last week. It's going to take a long time to overcome that.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 PM

385 posts, read 485,777 times
A stupid joke?

It definitely wasn't just a "racist" joke. You can tell that chant was a frequent occurrence. It wasn't just a one time thing.

I have no sympathy for them. Saying "we'll never let a n****r in SAE" is not a "joke".

At 19 you're an adult. An inexperienced adult, but still an adult regardless. I just don't look at it as "a dumb thing some 19 year olds said".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas