Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 AM

325 posts, read 368,106 times

Advertisements

Hi, I plan to visit a company in Richardson, TX in a couple weeks. I’m looking for recommendations on hotels that are within walking distance to a number of bars (dive bars are best), but still in a safe area. I’m okay with being up to 30 minutes away from Richardson, so if Dallas is best, can anyone recommend a hotel / location? Is there anything closer to Richardson that anyone can think of? My coworkers and I like having fun at night on these trips and not worrying about driving afterwards. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:03 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,398,312 times
Both downtown Plano & downtown Richardson have divey bars, the ones in downtown Richardson are divey-er but the ones in Plano might have more crowds and easier walking access. Downtown Plano has some decent bars and restaurants.

I'd recommend something like staying at the Renaissance Hotel or Hyatt Regency in Richardson and catching the DART rail north to downtown Plano. The only thing with those two hotels is they are in office parks (but very close to DART rail stations), and the closest restaurants would be south across Campbell or downtown Plano again, and most of Richardson or Plano are not accessible by walking or easy mass transit.

From this location, you can also catch the rail to downtown Dallas where there will be more bars and more scene. Others could recommend hotels there if that would be a preferrable location to stay.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:47 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,659 times
I'd recommend taking the Dart train from Richardson down to Mockingbird station. from there, you can walk over to Dyer st and hit up Green Elephant and Dyer St Tavern for dive bars. Plenty of places to grab a bite at mockingbird or along SMU blvd on the way over to Dyer St. For less of a dive bar experience, there's World of Beer and Nodding Donkey on SMU Blvd and Trinity Hall Irish pub at Mockingbird.
Now that I think about it, there's a hotel between Dyer and Mockingbird right on 75. It may be an option for you.

If you take the train all the way to downtown, look for One Eyed Penguin.

In Richardson, I only go to Amigos on Belt Line or Alamo Drafthouse. Both are good places to kill time and not be rushed but they aren't dive bars and neither are close to public transportation apart from cabs and uber.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:57 AM

325 posts, read 368,106 times
Thanks. We would definitely like if other people were in the bars to talk to - I'm hoping it won't just be us and the bartender!

Old 03-17-2015, 01:52 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
You could stay at La Quinta along Central Expressway at Henderson. Not exactly dive bars, but there's Vickery Park, Old Monk.
Good dives not near hotels - Ships, Lee Harvey's, Grapevine, Tradewinds.
Upscale dives - Foundry, Truck Yard, Ten Bells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas