U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 08:29 PM

68 posts, read 86,356 times

Advertisements

I feel like this should be necessary for a metro not only as big as Dallas, but also one of the fastest growing in the nation. I under stand it may not be a priority but citizens should be able to find out about every homicide that happens, and where they're happening. Instead when you go on the homicide blog, they report maybe 10% of the murders of the year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:55 PM

10,747 posts, read 10,930,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zay24 View Post
I feel like this should be necessary for a metro not only as big as Dallas, but also one of the fastest growing in the nation. I under stand it may not be a priority but citizens should be able to find out about every homicide that happens, and where they're happening. Instead when you go on the homicide blog, they report maybe 10% of the murders of the year.
What evidence do you have that Dallas is underreporting murders? And in no universe is Dallas only reporting 10% of murders.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:18 PM

12,428 posts, read 24,020,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
And in no universe is Dallas only reporting 10% of murders.
Exactly! Baseless claim. NYC has 8M residents and about 330 murders per year. If Dallas, which has 1/6 of NYC's population, had 1200 (10X the number reported by DPD) murders a year, it would being the lead story on the national news every night (murder rate 25X higher than NYC).

People would be terrified to leave their homes and no one would be moving here....which clearly isn't happening.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 7,672,918 times
Quote:
You do understand that Dallas is different than DFW right? You have proof that Dallas, Fort Worth and each of the suburbs do not report?

I have no idea what Dallas does or doesn't do for reporting but I know for a fact that Murphy, a suburb of Dallas, files UCR violent crime. It's a big deal for our Chief.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:53 PM

68 posts, read 86,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
What evidence do you have that Dallas is underreporting murders? And in no universe is Dallas only reporting 10% of murders.
10% wasn't an exact number, but I know the number is less than 50%. And Not just Dallas, Dallas county as a whole.

According to city data, Dallas gets 130-170 murders for the past 5 years.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

This is just Dallas, not even including the surrounding cities.

Now go to the Dallas homicide Blog and literally only a fraction of these are ever reported. And I've been following the blog for years.

Homicides | Dallas Morning News

And yes, there was literally a shooting right in front of my house that was never reported, even though police came and there was around 30-40 people involved

Old 03-19-2015, 10:05 PM

12,428 posts, read 24,020,721 times
Quote:
10% wasn't an exact number, but I know the number is less than 50%. And Not just Dallas, Dallas county as a whole.

According to city data, Dallas gets 130-170 murders for the past 5 years.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

This is just Dallas, not even including the surrounding cities.

Now go to the Dallas homicide Blog and literally only a fraction of these are ever reported. And I've been following the blog for years.

Homicides | Dallas Morning News

And yes, there was literally a shooting right in front of my house that was never reported, even though police came and there was around 30-40 people involved
Do you realize that there is a difference between what the Dallas Morning News reports on and what DPD writes up in official reports? The DMN probably does only write about 50% or less of murders (and the more salacious, the better, to attract readers), but that in NO WAY means that DPD isn't keeping accurate records.

The city doesn't own th paper, in case you didn't realize that.

If you really want to know about every single murder, DPD crime reports are linked here & open for public viewing.
http://www.dallaspolice.net/dpd_crimereport.html

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 03-19-2015 at 10:14 PM..

Old 03-20-2015, 10:29 AM

4,625 posts, read 9,337,713 times
And the blog is just some cop assigned to a blogging detail. Blog is not supposed to be an official report. The DPD, like almost all police depts, report their numbers to the Uniform Crime Report.

Sure there are events that go unreported. But having lived in many metros, I can assure you Dallas does not stand out as anyplace significantly deviant from the typical. It's better than most places in fact IMO.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:45 PM

995 posts, read 2,061,897 times
Dallas does in fact report UCR data.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:31 AM

5,560 posts, read 6,412,083 times
Why are you saying the Dallas PD are underreporting murders, but going to Dallas morning news blog instead of the Dallas PD.

That's like going to the NY Post blogs for the crime stats.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:02 AM

3,222 posts, read 3,983,582 times
yeah that 10% claim seems very inaccurate, but its no secret the Dallas police department has been tampering with crime stats for years to make the city look better. not classifying violent crimes as violent, and considering strings of similar incidents by the same person as one crime instead of many separate car break ins/robberies/assaults/whatever violations.

Experts: Dallas undercount of assaults builds 'artificial image' | Dallas Morning News

Quote:
Inaccuracies are hardly a Chicago-specific phenomenon. In the recent past, police departments in many other big cities—Atlanta, Dallas, Milwaukee, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, and Washington, D.C., to name a few—have admitted to fudging the numbers.
The Truth About Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or