Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 12:54 PM

25 posts, read 53,043 times

Advertisements

So I've lived in Allen, Wylie, and Plano most of my life, I'm actually just discovering the "other burbs" besides the northern ones. We recently discovered Forney, in particular the Devonshire subdivision. We've also looked in places like Red Oak, Denton, and Celina. Are there any negatives to Forney, I notice the house prices are slightly less expensive than where we currently live. Anyone know why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 02:13 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,133,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joates View Post
So I've lived in Allen, Wylie, and Plano most of my life, I'm actually just discovering the "other burbs" besides the northern ones. We recently discovered Forney, in particular the Devonshire subdivision. We've also looked in places like Red Oak, Denton, and Celina. Are there any negatives to Forney, I notice the house prices are slightly less expensive than where we currently live. Anyone know why?

The obvious answers:
1. Location - while both Forney & Plano/Allen are about 25 miles from downtown Dallas, Forney's location feels much more semi-rural vs 100% suburbia. Fewer shopping & dining choices, narrower/older roads, etc. Plano is somewhat central in the metroplex and you could work in Collin County, Irving/Las Colinas, or even downtown Dallas and have commute times < 1 hour. Because Forney is so far east, you're really limited to jobs downtown as Las Colinas and Plano/Legacy corridor are just too far away to commute daily.

2. Schools - Forney is quite a few rungs down the ladder fro Plano & Allen schools. Their schools rank in the bottom half of the metroplex, vs Plano & Allen that are in the top 1-10%.
Comparing SAT scores among the districts:

Forney = 1449, ranked 67th in metroplex
N Forney = 1392, ranked 86th in metroplex
Plano (W, Sr, E) = 1639-1729, ranked #2,4 & 9th in metroplex
Allen = 1618, ranked 17th in metroplex

Forney's schools perform about the same as Little Elm's, and I'm sure you're aware there is a big price difference in the real estate in Little Elm zoned to Frisco ISD vs Little Elm zoned to Little Elm IS. Same thing.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 PM

216 posts, read 278,471 times
Quote:
I think it definitely has to do with location and amenities that Forney has compared to what the other places have. I really wouldn't even consider Forney a proper suburb compared to Allen or Plano; it's semi-rural in my eyes. With that said, when I talked to the lady at Highland Homes (Devonshire) she mentioned they are building a new shopping center across the highway from the Kroger Supermarket (if I recall correctly). Overall, it's going to be about what works for you. I work in far East Dallas and I live in Oakcliff but living in Forney would actually give me a 15 minute shorter commute so I'm highly considering purchasing there.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:19 PM

Yes they mentioned that they are building something similar to a firewheel type shopping place, but that is about two years away, which is fine, I'm not big on shopping, but I like having options as well, and not feeling I need to drive to Rockwall or all the way to Garland just to shop (I'm not a big fan of Town East). I do like how close it is to downtown, apparently the clubhouse pool has a really great view of the Dallas Skyline.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:45 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,391,690 times
Yeah it WAS rural. That is rapidly changing. Like others have said, there are plans for a big out door mall, a massive Kroger (that will be the biggest Kroger in the metroplex is what I've been told) also with the George Bush supposedly also being extended down that way in the future, Forney's small town days are coming to a close.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:13 PM

216 posts, read 278,471 times
Quote:
Yes they mentioned that they are building something similar to a firewheel type shopping place, but that is about two years away, which is fine, I'm not big on shopping, but I like having options as well, and not feeling I need to drive to Rockwall or all the way to Garland just to shop (I'm not a big fan of Town East). I do like how close it is to downtown, apparently the clubhouse pool has a really great view of the Dallas Skyline.
Yeah, some of the lots have a view of the skyline.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:37 AM

34 posts, read 90,359 times
Quote:

Negatives - no. Differences - yes. What one person finds as a negative another might see it as a positive. Forney is growing, not on pace as the northern suburbs; it has no intention of mirroring itself to the northern suburbs.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brywood View Post
Negatives - no. Differences - yes. What one person finds as a negative another might see it as a positive. Forney is growing, not on pace as the northern suburbs; it has no intention of mirroring itself to the northern suburbs.
That could be a good thing. I like where we live right now, but it can be a bit too crowded. Wylie has grown so much since we've moved here. I'm sure it will be really nice in a few years, but it's going through some growing pains (traffic being one "pain").

Old 03-25-2015, 06:51 PM

16 posts, read 11,391 times
I have a Principal (in a different district) friend who lives in the Travis Ranch area of Forney. Her children are now in college but she was not at all pleased with the high school. I will PM you after I ask her to comment.

Last edited by kedada; 03-25-2015 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Identifying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: