Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:09 PM

64 posts, read 125,217 times

Advertisements

My husband may be taking a job back in Texas in the Dallas area (most likely Addison area) sometime before fall of this year. We've lived in the Firewheel area before and enjoyed it, but this time I'd like to be closer to our parents. My parents live in Burleson and my inlaws live in Red Oak. So, all of that taken into consideration with work in Addison, I'm wondering what areas would be best to look at. We do have three kids so school district does need to be taken into consideration.

My husband said he doesn't mind commuting longer if it meant we were living close to both sets of parents. So far, I've thought about Cedar Hill, Mansfield, Midlothian, but we wouldn't necessarily rule out northern areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 08:18 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Budget?

Old 03-22-2015, 08:27 PM

$200k ish

Old 03-22-2015, 08:58 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Working in Addison and commuting from anywhere south of downtown Dallas is going to be really rough on your husband. That's a lot of time he will be spending in the car instead of with your family.

The difficult thing is that between Addison and downtown Dallas, there aren't many areas within your price range that will have even decent public schools.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candimom View Post
My husband may be taking a job back in Texas in the Dallas area (most likely Addison area) sometime before fall of this year. We've lived in the Firewheel area before and enjoyed it, but this time I'd like to be closer to our parents. My parents live in Burleson and my inlaws live in Red Oak. So, all of that taken into consideration with work in Addison, I'm wondering what areas would be best to look at. We do have three kids so school district does need to be taken into consideration.

My husband said he doesn't mind commuting longer if it meant we were living close to both sets of parents. So far, I've thought about Cedar Hill, Mansfield, Midlothian, but we wouldn't necessarily rule out northern areas.
How often would you be seeing the parents vs how often would you be commuting to work?

If you're visiting with family on weekends but commuting to work five times a week, to me it makes more sense to live closer to work.

If you upped your budget a smidge you could look in Richardson, Carrollton, some older parts of Plano....you can still get a decent house in Richardson for $230k-ish. It won't be huge or fancy, but the schools are good and the neighborhoods are solid.

Plano schools are also excellent. I don't know about Carrollton schools so I can't give any advice there. I mentioned it because it's near Addison and might have houses that fit your price range.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:54 PM

Thank you. So, if we considered a commute no longer than 45 minutes (he's used to an hour each way right now), what would be the best areas to the north of downtown? I like Richardson okay, but would like a newer home this time and I know most of theirs are nice, but older. Are we talking Frisco? Allen? Coppell is out of price range. What about Lewisville or somewhere that direction? Any tips on commute that way?

Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
It is going to be tough to find a new build for around $200-ish AND a 45 minute or less commute. I think most of the new construction is pretty far north (like north of Frisco). I don't think the Lewisville or Carrollton schools are well rated. Flower Mound is in Lewisville ISD but would add time to the commute. I hope some others chime in with better ideas!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
FloMo to Addison would be awful, and you won't find a house there for $200k.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:11 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candimom View Post
Thank you. So, if we considered a commute no longer than 45 minutes (he's used to an hour each way right now), what would be the best areas to the north of downtown? I like Richardson okay, but would like a newer home this time and I know most of theirs are nice, but older. Are we talking Frisco? Allen? Coppell is out of price range. What about Lewisville or somewhere that direction? Any tips on commute that way?
You'll have to compromise somewhere: Commute time, ISD, or house. You can't check all the boxes on your budget.

Richardson has some newer houses, but they are out of your price range. Just because something's old doesn't mean it's in terrible condition or will give you constant maintenance problems. It does mean it will be smaller than new construction.

I guess you just need to ask yourself what is most important to you. Only you can answer that question.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:02 PM

Thanks everyone. And I'm not thinking brand new, but maybe built after 2000. All of the homes we have lived is thus far were 1986 and older. And yes, not in bad shape, but was just hoping for something newer to us, maybe, lol. At this point, I think I'm leaning toward commute and ISD, and not so much near family since we do only see them a couple times a month.

So does that leave me with Plano and Richardson? Any others that come to mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas