Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:00 AM

31 posts, read 45,750 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum for the past four months. It gave me the most fresh first hand information about Dallas and its' surrounding areas. To dedicate my thanks to all forum browsers, I especially thank TurtleCreek80. She replies to almost every threads that are Dallas related. Makes me feel like I can trust her on all information she provided. I big thanks!

Still, I have some questions the other did not mention: are there some Chinese in park cities? We are settling next year and are looking properties in park cities because of environment and great schools as all people are saying so. My kids will be thrill to grow up in closely watched neighborhood. It won't change our desire to live this area, but if there are some Chinese families, it will make it easier as the kids' grannies can enjoy some companionship outside of family members.

Another question is: is Mockingbird Lane a busy road? We noticed the house price is lower on that street compare to the other areas. Until we visit this area next year, all your recommendations are great input to us and much appreciated in advance. Our family structures will be grand parents visiting/staying with us as they are old now, and four young kids of below 8 yrs old. Closing to creek and schools/day care will be the best consideration. What is the housing market now? Will it be better to buy now or rent/wait for another two years? Our budget will be 2-3M. Hope in that range, we can find some nice house to live for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 04:07 AM

574 posts, read 1,477,865 times
Hello!

Rest assured...there are many Asian families living in the Park Cities. I don't have specific census data, but based on what I see around my block, and driving around the elementary, middle, and high schools on a daily basis, my guess is that Asians represent the biggest minority group in the Park Cities. I don't think there are as many Hispanics nor African-Americans.

Mockingbird is a busy road. So are Lovers Lane, Preston, Hillcrest, Southwestern, and any block that has a traffic light at the end. The good news is that the speed limit throughout the Park Cities is only 30 mph..and it is strictly enforced. I would not necessarily rule a house on those roads out, you will have to visit and see if that would be a problem.

You will have no trouble finding a large home to accommodate your extended family with your budget. I feel like in this area it's always a sellers market though! So prepare to pay close to listing price and sometimes above listing price if there is a bidding war. You will have the most inventory during the busy March-June selling season. However be prepared to act immediately on a home you like, and preferably work with a well-connected realtor who may have access to inventory before it officially hits the market. The rest of the year you will have houses come up for sale, but not as many as during Spring and before the new school year begins. During the slower months you may not have as much inventory, but there are always homes for sale in this area. Once the time comes feel free to message me for the name of our realtor...she's amazing!

We have enjoyed our 4 years here in UP. We are a mixed-race family. Occasionally my kids complain that there are not more kids who look like them, but they have never been made to feel that they do not belong (except for typical middle school heckling which has never lasted long, and is no different than the type of heckling I experienced at that age in an environment where many looked like me). Both have plenty of friends and feel included in the community.

Best of luck on your search!

P.S.
I wholeheartedly agree with you about TurtleCreek80. She was extremely helpful during our relocation, and she always gives detailed and accurate information about anything regarding Dallas.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:52 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,243 times
I agree 100% about TC80. She is a wealth of information!

Regarding your questions, with your young children, I would likely try to find an interior street rather than one of the main roads - Mockingbird, Lovers, Southwestern. These roads are busy all of the time. I think the traffic would prohibit playing in the front yard and could make it challenging to get out of your driveway at times.

Regarding the rent/buy question, no one really knows what the future will hold. The market is HOT right now with sellers in the drivers's seat. Many properties sell before they even hit MLS and buyers are paying full-price or more. I would also think about if you want to do a double-move (into a rental and then again when you buy)

Good luck with your move!

Old 03-30-2015, 06:27 AM

Hi mami2emily,
Thanks a lot for your reply! Wish your family is doing the best! I was offering the 3635 Mockingbird Lane, which needs total redo. However, other buyers offered cash and my loan did not come in time. It would be a big house for us if we had it.
Anyway, we will keep on looking in that area and hope the relocation will be quicker and we can embrace the beauty of such lovely neighborhood earlier. Of course I will be much appreciated to know your realtor's information and have a little advantage before the houses are listed on MLS. If you know good contractors for new building or renovation in that area, it will be helpful too. My idea is to buy some houses are less appealing and renovate/rebuild it to suit our family for 10-20 years. My friend is living in Richardson, I could ask her to check out the process if there is any. Try to plan ahead of time and make it move in ready by the time we are in the park cities!
Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2015, 06:32 AM

Hi Jennifw,
Is there possibility to rent to buy as you said double-move? The interior street will be more expensive as I looked. Is closing to the creek area be more desirable? Are the parks easy to access? Sorry, I can only check them from the map. Silly question through. I still have time to plan and buy the houses that need works/reconstruction and make it our family house for two decades.
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I agree 100% about TC80. She is a wealth of information!

Regarding your questions, with your young children, I would likely try to find an interior street rather than one of the main roads - Mockingbird, Lovers, Southwestern. These roads are busy all of the time. I think the traffic would prohibit playing in the front yard and could make it challenging to get out of your driveway at times.

Regarding the rent/buy question, no one really knows what the future will hold. The market is HOT right now with sellers in the drivers's seat. Many properties sell before they even hit MLS and buyers are paying full-price or more. I would also think about if you want to do a double-move (into a rental and then again when you buy)

Good luck with your move!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vousita View Post
Hi Jennifw,
Is there possibility to rent to buy as you said double-move? The interior street will be more expensive as I looked. Is closing to the creek area be more desirable? Are the parks easy to access? Sorry, I can only check them from the map. Silly question through. I still have time to plan and buy the houses that need works/reconstruction and make it our family house for two decades.
Thanks again!
Rent to own is almost illegal in the state of Texas. You may want to look into just renting around or in the area for a year, to get yourself and your kids familiar with the area. From there you can find the areas of the park cities you like the best.

On a side note, my best friend in high school at Highland Park was Taiwanese. It's still not a diverse area, but there is some diversity and it's just growing more and more. Good luck OP!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vousita View Post
Hi Jennifw,
Is there possibility to rent to buy as you said double-move?
Like the other poster said, it is almost illegal in Texas. The bigger thing is that this is a seller's market. The seller's are going to take a straight-up sale over a rent-to-own any day.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:55 AM

Thanks to all! I need the luck. If anyone knows good contractor in that area, I will be appreciated!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 AM

55 posts, read 72,857 times
Lovers and Mockingbird are busy roads. Avoid them if you can. Also next year is an election year so real estate will slow down after summer of next year, so you might want to wait till then.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 AM

44 posts, read 66,569 times
TC80!! The best!!
On another note - what is the park cities area? Can anyone give me a zip code/city name?
Thanks
Jas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: