Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:59 PM

409 posts, read 1,045,156 times

Advertisements

I think you will like it here. I am also African American with an MBA and I came here from White March (Baltimore) in 2009. We live in Plano and love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 08:46 AM

144 posts, read 205,187 times
I'm going to give you the skinny on Dallas living. Driving is a nightmare in this place. My job before we relocated was 25 miles away and it took on average 1 hour 15 minutes to get to work. The tollways are super expensive and the traffic is awful so it's a waste of time and $80 per month if you use those.

If you going to be working downtown, the DART train may be your best friend. Frisco would be out, because it's too far from the Dart rail. Rockwall and Rowlett are nice places that are on the DART rail. Addison is closer to downtown where you won't need the train. The western half of Plano is nice and not too far from the train. Allen and McKinney are close to the train as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccb50193 View Post
Hey everyone, after researching and visiting various places, my husband and I have decided to move to one of the Dallas suburbs next year (Q1 2016). Our challenge is trying to decide which Dallas suburb we want to move to. Here is a small background...We are in our early 30's with no children (we are trying now so schools will be a factor but not immediately). We are both African American with our MBA's so finding a job will not be an issue. My husband is an internal auditor and I work in finance. I have been researching and we know that we don't want a long commute to work (30-35 mins one way is our max) and we will rent first (1-2 years) so we aren't intrested in buying a home right away. Once we are in the market for a home, we would like to keep the cost less than $300k (new construction) if we have to go up to $325k than so be it but we are looking for the most bang for our buck. We are set to visit Dallas again (and the above listed suburbs) in May to to get a better feel for the area. We like a clean and modern feel to our neighborhood, we don't want to be too far from the local Costco, Target etc, and friendly people. I have read that there isn't much racism but "classism" which is OK with us. We do not need to surround ourselves with one race or class of people so long as they are GOOD people (at least for the most part). We don't care what their views are, or what their nationality is, we can adapt to almost any environment as long as we are treated well, we treat others well. The country suburbs are not an option for us (no offense). I also heard great things about Addison, not too much on raising a family though.

Also, as far as commutes are concerned this is what I came up with to minimize having a long one, let me know if I missed the mark:
Live in Frisco work in Frisco (or Plano)
Live in Plano work in Plano (or Frisco)
Live in Addison work in Frisco (Plano or Dallas)
Live in Dallas work in Frisco (or Plano) - reverse commute

Things we need the most help on:
Commute times?
Are the suburbs we listed reasonable for the things we are looking for?
How are the bugs? (yes this is an issue for me )
Is the driving really that bad?
Tornadoes? (what's the deal here)
Hail storms (how often do they occur and should I raise the coverage on our auto insurance)

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you all in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: