Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,266 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a single mother with 2 daughters moving to texas this summer. I have been on several scouting trips and still need a bit of help.

My daughters will be attending Bishop Dunne in the fall, which I am very happy about. My oldest plays club soccer however, and practice will be either in farmers branch, richardson, or plano. This may sound a bit crazy, but since we will be out at the fields several times a week, I am trying to locate a few neighborhoods that are in the middle between those places and dunne. I work from home, so my commute isnt an issue. I'm more worried about having to drive home after practice late at night or having a super long drive to dunne. I am also looking into the transportation that Dunne offers. I was looking at cedar hill, but that drive home after soccer and cheer would be very long

My budget is 350k...I don't need a huge home, but a 4 bedroom with a yard and maybe a community pool would be great.

Thanks for any help yall can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 04:21 PM

385 posts, read 489,040 times
This is a tough one, I'm sure some of the expects will chime in.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
You could look in 75220 or 75229 in north Dallas, west of Preston Hollow. It's one of the only central locations on the west side of town where you can still get any house for $350k and be in a safe neighborhood. Stay east of Webb Chapel for safety and avoid the neighborhood west of Marsh that is south of Walnut Hill.

Not going to lie - it's a hell of a drive to Bishop Dunne from there but it puts you within 20-30 minutes of club soccer in Richardson & Plano. If your girls have college scholarship athletic potential, you'd likely be better off attending the North Dallas Catholic schools which are in 75220-75229 vicinity where you're closer to the clubs and where Ursuline Academy is better known for HS athletics. There are several schools, all excellent. With Dunne, your kids are unlikely to have many classmates living north of I-30. You could live closer to school, but then there will likely be no one to carpool to club soccer with as there are so many teams & leagues.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:13 PM

786 posts, read 1,223,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_pooka View Post
Hello! I am a single mother with 2 daughters moving to texas this summer. I have been on several scouting trips and still need a bit of help.

My daughters will be attending Bishop Dunne in the fall, which I am very happy about. My oldest plays club soccer however, and practice will be either in farmers branch, richardson, or plano. This may sound a bit crazy, but since we will be out at the fields several times a week, I am trying to locate a few neighborhoods that are in the middle between those places and dunne. I work from home, so my commute isnt an issue. I'm more worried about having to drive home after practice late at night or having a super long drive to dunne. I am also looking into the transportation that Dunne offers. I was looking at cedar hill, but that drive home after soccer and cheer would be very long

My budget is 350k...I don't need a huge home, but a 4 bedroom with a yard and maybe a community pool would be great.

Thanks for any help yall can give!
If I were you, I would just stick to trying to find a house relatively close to Dunne. The reason being, Dunne and the fields you mentioned are on opposite sides of Dallas, so there's really not any true "central" location to both, especially with how terrible traffic is here.

That being said, I honestly think it'd be a nightmare trying to get to/from Dunne from North Dallas. Not to mention most likely not living near classmates from the school. You will get the most bang for your buck in a South Dallas suburb, while still being close to Dunne, so that is my recommendation. 350K goes a long way in that part of the metroplex.

I would keep looking in Cedar Hill or Duncanville. If you look in Duncanville, I would recommend Thoroughbread Hills - zip 75116.

Congrats on Bishop Dunne - it is the only true college prep school in the entire South side of Dallas.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:34 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
The other poster's have given good advice. If you decide to consider the southern suburbs, Cedar Hill and DeSoto will likely have a wider selection of homes in your price range and are approximately the same distance from Bishop Dunne.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:07 PM

269 posts, read 863,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You could look in 75220 or 75229 in north Dallas, west of Preston Hollow. It's one of the only central locations on the west side of town where you can still get any house for $350k and be in a safe neighborhood. Stay east of Webb Chapel for safety and avoid the neighborhood west of Marsh that is south of Walnut Hill.

Not going to lie - it's a hell of a drive to Bishop Dunne from there but it puts you within 20-30 minutes of club soccer in Richardson & Plano. If your girls have college scholarship athletic potential, you'd likely be better off attending the North Dallas Catholic schools which are in 75220-75229 vicinity where you're closer to the clubs and where Ursuline Academy is better known for HS athletics. There are several schools, all excellent. With Dunne, your kids are unlikely to have many classmates living north of I-30. You could live closer to school, but then there will likely be no one to carpool to club soccer with as there are so many teams & leagues.

The 75220/75229/75244 zip codes are all good suggestions. Bishop Dunne has a school bus that picks up and drops off at St. Monica in the mornings and afternoons. The kids will get to commute with their friends while mom doesn't have to fight the traffic as often. (Dunne does manage to fill a bus coming from St. Monica so there are kids from North Dallas at Dunne.) There are also a ton of kids playing club soccer. So possibly the best compromise.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS_Parent View Post
The 75220/75229/75244 zip codes are all good suggestions. Bishop Dunne has a school bus that picks up and drops off at St. Monica in the mornings and afternoons. The kids will get to commute with their friends while mom doesn't have to fight the traffic as often. (Dunne does manage to fill a bus coming from St. Monica so there are kids from North Dallas at Dunne.) There are also a ton of kids playing club soccer. So possibly the best compromise.
Now that sounds like a winner for OP! Sometimes this board is awesome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas