U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 11:53 AM

12,125 posts, read 22,864,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
You do know that she doesn't consider Frisco ISD schools as being on that list of recognized schools right?
Not true. I said in a prior thread last week that I don't know what the rap is on Frisco schools in the admissions offices these days. Frisco was an unknown spec on the map when my siblings and I applied to colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 01:04 PM

2,872 posts, read 3,875,856 times
Just for the heck of it, I'm tossing this book review into the mix:

You didn

ETA- since the title didn't come through on the link, it's a review (from the President of Wesleyan University) "So you didn't get into Harvard, so what?" The book reviewed is titled "Where you go is not who you'll be" by Frank Bruni.

More than a bit on point for some of our discussions here, and I freely admit to listing stats that likely contribute to a "here's the very very best of all things" mentality. Schools are fine, and certainly there are names that give advantages, but it's who you are and what you can do that count in the end, and I think all of us can look around our professional environments or our own personal achievements and realize that "where you went to school" plays a role in our lives, but that it's not necessarily a role determined by quantifiable factors like SAT scores.

Last edited by synchronicity; 04-12-2015 at 01:18 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 05:28 PM

382 posts, read 507,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Just for the heck of it, I'm tossing this book review into the mix:

You didn

ETA- since the title didn't come through on the link, it's a review (from the President of Wesleyan University) "So you didn't get into Harvard, so what?" The book reviewed is titled "Where you go is not who you'll be" by Frank Bruni.
Excellent link.

Here is another, an interview with Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs host)...
Diplomas vs. Dirty Jobs - Reason.com

Old 04-23-2015, 10:47 AM

114 posts, read 104,699 times
Just an FYI, but the Wylie ISD (29) listed above Plano (54) is in Taylor County (Abilene). The single High School in that district is Abilene-Wylie High. The Wylie ISD in Collin County is rated at 154 by this survey. Plano got an "A" and Wylie got a "B", and both are good school districts.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 AM

I ran across these two links recently.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/citi...rt-worth-2015/

One of the local news channels ran a segment on the above statistics. They didn't bother to state that it was "the best bang for your buck" and weighted.

Moderator cut: No links to real estate sites allowed, per the Terms of Service

And here is a good book on how a lot of these rankings evolve...

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statis.../dp/0393310728

We all put different values on schools. It's safe to say that all on here care about their kids education, otherwise why would you be reading this thread.

Last edited by Acntx; 04-23-2015 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 AM

907 posts, read 988,612 times
Peaster, Tolar and Alvord... Really?!?

I'm not saying the schools are bad in those locations, but when you talk about "bang for the buck" I would think a certain amount of proximity to job centers would be considered. There's a reason houses are comparatively inexpensive in those areas- because you have a minimum hour commute to a metro area! I am very familiar with all 3 of those areas and they are not even far flung exurbs, they are rural communities.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:23 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,655,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post

I'm not saying the schools are bad in those locations, but when you talk about "bang for the buck" I would think a certain amount of proximity to job centers would be considered. There's a reason houses are comparatively inexpensive in those areas- because you have a minimum hour commute to a metro area! I am very familiar with all 3 of those areas and they are not even far flung exurbs, they are rural communities.
And granted HPISD isn't really a bang for you buck community.....they aren't even on the schools at the bottom.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post

I didn't make the list and found the first link (nerdwallet) pretty laughable. In all honesty, based on the criteria they set I have no idea how Lovejoy made that list.

The second link (Dave Downs) is pretty good. Most would rank it a little differently based on their own preferences and biases, but the schools on that list would make most peoples list of top schools. I would add Argyle to the list and have Aledo as a far western school of interest.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:51 PM

Did anyone look at the additional links on this site before the MOD cut the link? If you want the link then message me. I am not a realtor and don't know the realtor that developed this site.

Best K - 12
1. Highland Park (Highland Park ISD)
2. Southlake (Carroll ISD)
3. Lucas and Fairview (Lovejoy ISD)
4. Northwest Plano (Plano and Frisco ISD's)
5. West Flower Mound (Lewisville ISD)
6. Central and Northeast Colleyville (Grapevine-Colleyville and Keller ISD's)
7. Coppell (Coppell ISD)
8. West Highland Village (Lewisville ISD)
9. Southwest and Southeast Frisco (Frisco ISD)
10. Northeast Keller (Keller ISD)
11. Allen (Allen ISD)
12. North Central Prosper (Prosper)

Best High Schools

1 Highland Park High School
2 Lovejoy High School
3 Carroll Senior High School / Carroll High School
4 Coppell High School
5 Plano West Senior High School / Jasper High School / Shepton High School
6 Flower Mound High School
7 Marcus High School
8 Colleyville Heritage High School
9 Plano Senior High School / Clark High School / Vines High School
10 Keller High School
11 Liberty High School
12 Grapevine High School
13 Wakeland High School
14 Hebron High School / Hebron Ninth Grade
15 Prosper High School
16 Centennial High School
17 Pearce High School
18 McKinney Boyd High School
19 Argyle High School
20 Allen High School / Lowery Freshman Center

Best School Districts
2014 Top 10 Dallas Fort Worth public school districts
Student Achievement Index number of campuses rated

1 Carroll Independent School District 97.8 11
2 Lovejoy Independent School District 97.3 6
3 Highland Park Independent School District 96.8 7
4 Frisco Independent School District 94.1 52
5 Allen Independent School District 93.3 22
6 Argyle Independent School District 93.2 4
7 Prosper Independent School District 92.8 7
8 Coppell Independent School District 92.1 14
9 Sunnyvale Independent School District 91.2 3
10 Wylie ISD 90.1 18

Old 04-23-2015, 04:47 PM

907 posts, read 988,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovejoy_family View Post
I didn't make the list and found the first link (nerdwallet) pretty laughable. In all honesty, based on the criteria they set I have no idea how Lovejoy made that list.

The second link (Dave Downs) is pretty good. Most would rank it a little differently based on their own preferences and biases, but the schools on that list would make most peoples list of top schools. I would add Argyle to the list and have Aledo as a far western school of interest.
Aledo is a great community but the commute into Fort Worth will get more congested in the near future and if that bond package doesn't pass this time, kids will be in portables. Also, class sizes are BIG. But it is a great community with lots of good families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or