Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:56 PM

203 posts, read 271,460 times

Advertisements

Hi - I've been on this board on and off for a few years as we've been looking to move out to the Dallas area. We've lost several family members over the last 5 years and now have more relatives in Plano and Frisco than we do now in NJ. We've made a couple of trips out there with the kids (boy,12/girl,11) with our most recent being last month during spring break. My husband arranged an interview, as did I, and we also met with a realtor for the afternoon. We really want to make this move happen while our daughter is going to start 6th grade and our son starts 7th. There is also a development that is going through an approval process slated to be built on the farm behind our house and we really fear depreciation. Many things are pointing to this being the right time. A 1.5-2 hour commute to NYC each way is getting old for my husband, to say the least. He's 55 and is getting tired of the NY pace.

We are planning on selling whether or not my husband gets the Dallas offer. We don't want to move to another area in NJ so I may come out with the kids to start school before my husband joins us. We figured that he'll be able to fly out biweekly. It's not ideal but the kids see him for so little during the week anyway, to be quite honest. If we have residency in the area, I think securing a job will be easier for him. I realize companies are relocating there in droves, but even recruiters have told him that it's difficult applying from out of state.

I've read on this board how everyone says to rent before buying and I really think that might be the way to go, especially if this Dallas job doesn't work out and he's commuting back to us for awhile. I don't want the maintenance of a 4 BR house without him there (he's handy, I'm not). It will also allow us to explore and really see where we might want to buy. The whole apt. thing seems foreign to me, especially with kids, but a short term lease might make sense. I'd love to be by Renner MS. Budget would be about $1800-$2000/mo. Also, we have two dogs (less than 25 lbs each). I want 3BR/2BA at a minimum with decent amenities. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 07:03 PM

786 posts, read 1,223,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenie1 View Post
Hi - I've been on this board on and off for a few years as we've been looking to move out to the Dallas area. We've lost several family members over the last 5 years and now have more relatives in Plano and Frisco than we do now in NJ. We've made a couple of trips out there with the kids (boy,12/girl,11) with our most recent being last month during spring break. My husband arranged an interview, as did I, and we also met with a realtor for the afternoon. We really want to make this move happen while our daughter is going to start 6th grade and our son starts 7th. There is also a development that is going through an approval process slated to be built on the farm behind our house and we really fear depreciation. Many things are pointing to this being the right time. A 1.5-2 hour commute to NYC each way is getting old for my husband, to say the least. He's 55 and is getting tired of the NY pace.

We are planning on selling whether or not my husband gets the Dallas offer. We don't want to move to another area in NJ so I may come out with the kids to start school before my husband joins us. We figured that he'll be able to fly out biweekly. It's not ideal but the kids see him for so little during the week anyway, to be quite honest. If we have residency in the area, I think securing a job will be easier for him. I realize companies are relocating there in droves, but even recruiters have told him that it's difficult applying from out of state.

I've read on this board how everyone says to rent before buying and I really think that might be the way to go, especially if this Dallas job doesn't work out and he's commuting back to us for awhile. I don't want the maintenance of a 4 BR house without him there (he's handy, I'm not). It will also allow us to explore and really see where we might want to buy. The whole apt. thing seems foreign to me, especially with kids, but a short term lease might make sense. I'd love to be by Renner MS. Budget would be about $1800-$2000/mo. Also, we have two dogs (less than 25 lbs each). I want 3BR/2BA at a minimum with decent amenities. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Bentley Place Apartments are within walking distance of Renner and has 3 bedroom units well within your range. That'd be the best option in terms of convenience to Renner. Maybe do a short term there while you decide where to buy?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 PM

190 posts, read 288,346 times
+1 Bentley Place. It's a decent apartment complex in a great location. Be aware that 3 bed apartments are hard to come by at Bentley Place in my experience. You may have to wait for a few weeks or a few months for one to become available.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:42 AM

203 posts, read 271,460 times
Thanks for your suggestion. I did look into Bentley and that's on the list now. There is a 3BR available mid-June but we need to list our house first to really know when we'll be able to move. The reviews show some people loved the place and others had big problems with management. Since part of the reason we'd like to start in an apt, is because my husband won't be there during the week, it's important that we're in a place that's responsive to maintenance calls, etc.

Any other suggestions so we can have a back up?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 PM

162 posts, read 195,046 times
If you plan to purchase something in the near future, I would start looking home prices around the school, and 75093 to check if this is the place you want to be after your lease expire. As an alternative Robinson Middle School, with large park and Recreation center close by is another good choice and also a feeder school to Plano West Senior High. Any particular reason you are looking Renner exclusively?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 PM

54 posts, read 70,344 times
We are interested in 75093 and Renner Middle. My realtor sent me link for these apartments located next doors to Bentley. It looks like a very cool and new complex.

AMLI West Plano - Floor Plans - AMLI Residential

These are town homes and walking distance from Shops Of Willowbend.

http://www.townsofchapelhill.com/Apa..._info/property[id]/35507/is_short_info/1

Old 05-29-2015, 07:11 AM

283 posts, read 404,464 times
Wouldn't a $1800-$2000 can get a 3Bed/2B easily single family unit rental easily in that region ?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyer2015 View Post
We are interested in 75093 and Renner Middle. My realtor sent me link for these apartments located next doors to Bentley. It looks like a very cool and new complex.

AMLI West Plano - Floor Plans - AMLI Residential

These are town homes and walking distance from Shops Of Willowbend.

Overview | Towns of Chapel Hill Apartments For Rent in Plano, TX 75093[id]/35507/is_short_info/1

I haven't seen it yet, but judging form the pictures looks nice. Have you seen it already? It is next to the highway, not sure about noise levels but definitely close to everything and easy access to Tollway.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard88 View Post
Wouldn't a $1800-$2000 can get a 3Bed/2B easily single family unit rental easily in that region ?
As of now, I see only 7 homes between your range, but all East side of Preston (in 75093) only one zoned for Renner Middle School.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:59 PM

54 posts, read 70,344 times
Rental values are very high for homes feeding to Renner Middle School. Apartments look more affordable. It would be a miracle to find a rental home below $2500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas