Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 01:51 PM

385 posts, read 486,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensix View Post
Questionable anecdote. Would like some documentation on the beat-to-death canard you're using.
Why would I be lying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 01:51 PM

25 posts, read 40,923 times
This entire post, from OP and on, has a whiff of troll. Too many buzzwords, general-yet-obvious political non-statements, etc...

Having said that....there's a funny phenomena that occurs here in Texas. Residents from blue coastal states wake up one day and look around at the mess they've been creating since the early 90s. They think to themselves: "This isn't what we wanted." They begin to dread the tax bill every year, itemizing the spending initiatives they vote for in order to promote buzzwords like "diversity" and "mobility" and "multiculturalism." They realize that all of their feel-good ideas actually impact their wallet, rendering them unable to afford private school once *their* special snowflake children are subject to the same metal detectors used to "promote diversity" and keep the bused-in kids safe from evil productive people. They begin a slight internal change and start looking for places that don't actually, you know, have enough people like them to *carry out* via voting the fantasies they build social credit with at birthday parties and soccer games.

So they plan the move, and make lame jokes about "going on the trail" to their coastal friends, and try to talk it up like it's an adventure or a step forward. But they - and everyone else know - they're moving because they're broke. Broke from being heavily taxed to support their own social agenda.

Then they land here. Some adjust and are cool about it. Some don't - Yankees moving to TX are like Russians moving to America - there's a strong chance they will simply freeze themselves in the time they left their home, preserving themselves in a little chrono-bubble of awkwardly dated mannerisms.

Being conditioned in knee-jerk reactions, diversity watchfulness, community-mindedness, and rhetorical public-shaming techniques; they begin to attempt to change the place they moved to - a second chance from their first, suicidal, environment - into the place they just left behind. It's like they can't help it.

To the OP. I suggest you stay home and undo the damage you and people like you have caused there. Please don't bring your social cures here. If you do, and encounter any "cultural enrichment" in the neighborhoods you can afford, please remember that your safety has been sacrificed for diversity and equality, and citizens of humanity's glorious equal future will revere your name.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
Why would I be lying?

Because lobbing a vaguely bigot- or snob-related allegation towards the Park Cities is a guaranteed currency for attention trolls.

What you're describing is something very serious. I would think that producing something would be easy. A text, an email, neighbors' names or addresses. You know...anything.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Because lobbing a vaguely bigot- or snob-related allegation towards the Park Cities is a guaranteed currency for attention trolls.

What you're describing is something very serious. I would think that producing something would be easy. A text, an email, neighbors' names or addresses. You know...anything.
It isn't an allegation toward the Park Cities. More so the few neighbors in that occurrence. I never intended to make generalizations.

I was in high school when this happened.

Not sure why you think it's an attempt at trolling but ok.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:01 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,522,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag7763 View Post
I am talking Dallas city limits here. I know Dallas isn't urban in the same way that NY is but by urban in the Dallas context, I mean "not like Denton or a Frisco" and completely cookie cutter with long commutes.

Saw a nice area in North Dallas that I was checking out for my family (we are mulling over a move to Dallas from Staten Island NY) that seemed like it would be a cool place to raise the family. The zoned school was WT White HS which is less than a mile from the home I saw. I looked up the school's rating and demographics and saw quite a disparity between the school and the community its in. The area where the house is seems to be affluent, and safe and the demographics are mostly white and Asian with less than a quarter of residents in the zip code being black or Hispanic. However the school is almost 90% black and Hispanic, with less than 300 white or Asian students out of a school of 2200. There is a very high amount of ESL students and kids receiving free lunch. This seems in complete contrast to the area the school is in, and I would like to know the reason for such a disparity? I expected for non-Asian minority students to be over represented because there seems to be a lot of private schools in the area that's probably scoop up some children from more affluent families, and also because black and Hispanic people tend to have more kids. But this disparity was stark and almost in complete contrast to the area.

First question is, what's the deal with that?

Second question is, where are the areas with good schools in a slightly "urban" less typical Texas suburbia areas? We have one going into 6th and one going into 8th grade so HS is right around the corner. We know that good parenting is more important than good school scores when it comes to student success but a good school definitely helps.

We like Dallas and both feel that Texas is generally a place more in tuned with our politics, values and goals and I have an opportunity to transfer from here in our hometown of NYC to the Downtown Dallas office. We are coming from Staten Island, not Midtown Manhattan so we don't require a super urban district with a 24/7 buzz (don't think that exists in Texas anyhow) but we would like something a little less cookie cutter and a little more lively than Carrolton, Richardson, Denton, Plano or Frisco. North Dallas from the Park Cities (think they are out of our budget) up to the Lyndon Johnson Freeway and the area around the Galleria mall seems to fit the bill of what we want, but we want to go the public school route. Our budget would be $350 for a 3 bedroom rancher.

Thanks.

In a nutshell, you have "in town" taste on a suburban budget. You could find something in Richardson or Lake Highlands but your budget is THE most competitive price point. Your price range works for Midway Hollow or n Dallas (Degolyer or Withers) and I wouldn't necessarily balk at the WTW feeder pattern if my kids had grown up here and had a peer group going in, but I'm not sure I would want to transfer them into that type of school as middle or high schoolers. I can't remember what ages you said.

I will also say that your very strident attitude will not go over well in TX so you might want to tone that down a bit.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
It isn't an allegation toward the Park Cities. More so the few neighbors in that occurrence.

I was in high school when this happened.

I get what you're saying, but you're sort of backing off now.

Again - straight up racial pressure and market fixing. Awful.

There must be one, tiny, little reminder that you can show people of the terrible treatment.

What was done to you is grounds life-altering legal action, and there's not one, single, piece of evidence?

Old 04-25-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but you're sort of backing off now.

Again - straight up racial pressure and market fixing. Awful.

There must be one, tiny, little reminder that you can show people of the terrible treatment.

What was done to you is grounds life-altering legal action, and there's not one, single, piece of evidence?
Backing off? Of course...why would I beat it into the ground? It's more of a "your word against mine" type of thing. Not a trail of emails and texts.

You're making yet another assumption that there is NO evidence. Texts or emails? Of course not. Conversations? Yes.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:50 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
In a nutshell, you have "in town" taste on a suburban budget. You could find something in Richardson or Lake Highlands but your budget is THE most competitive price point. Your price range works for Midway Hollow or n Dallas (Degolyer or Withers) and I wouldn't necessarily balk at the WTW feeder pattern if my kids had grown up here and had a peer group going in, but I'm not sure I would want to transfer them into that type of school as middle or high schoolers. I can't remember what ages you said.

I will also say that your very strident attitude will not go over well in TX so you might want to tone that down a bit.
I 100% agree with your "in town taste in a suburban budget" comment - it's extremely expensive to live within the 635 loop if you want great K-12 schools, public or private.

But I disagre with the strident attitude comment. OP was unfairly attacked by multiple posters for asking a pretty basic question- "hey, I'm looking at $350k+ homes zoned to WT White schools and noticing the neighborhood demographics skew affluent and more white than other races....what am I missing because it seems like the houses around the schools aren't using the schools, leaving the school demographics to not mirror the neighborhood's". Other posters are projecting their own racial issues or identity struggles onto an innocent question.

It's an honest question and one that is pretty easy to wonder about given the extreme affluence of North Dallad and the extreme poverty in the majority of North Dallas schools. I wouldn't expect someone researching a relo from 1400 miles away to understand that affluent families - of ANY color (the new JCPenney CEO is black, chose Preston Hollow for a home and a PH private school for his child) - choose to live there because of close proximity to private schools and that 90%+ of the affluent families have never set foot inside their neighborhood public school.

Heck, there is a DISD elementary school less than 100 yards fom former President Bush's home. The home behind Bush's is for sale for $100,000,000. Yet, Pershing Elementary is over 90% ED, 90% Hispanic, and had fewer than 10 white students the last time I checked. The school's attendance zone reaches as far north as Spring Valley because that's the amount of land it takes to fill the school when all the neighborhood kids are enrolled in private schools. The school busses kids in from 5 miles away from a neighborhood that looks nothing like where the school is located. Contrast that to HPISD elementary schools orLake Highland's coveted elementaries where no house is further than 1-1.25 miles from the assigned elementary and the schools are overflowing from high demand.

DISD has a lot of challenges, none larger than convincing middle class and lower upper class families to give them a shot. There is no other way to change the district'so reputation and increase performance but the deck is stacked against the district and its 85% ED population, There are some great grass roots programs at the elementary level in north, east, and southwest Dallas but it's hard to convince these parents to give middle school a shot when multiple elementary schools are combined at 6th grade, mixing kids with educated & involved parents with those whose parents main focus is putting food on the table and keeping the lights on, not making sure junior can read or do algebra. It mixes kids whose Extracurriculars are art & piano lessons, club sports, and Boy Scouts with kids whose extracurriculars are gangs / drug running
or avoiding gangs..... It changes the classroom dynamics considerably from the handful of insulated neighborhood elementary schools.

If I were relocating like OP is, I would appreciate the straight truth about these schools vs finding out on my own after making a $350k purchase.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:20 PM

35 posts, read 102,561 times
Has the OP thought about renting for a year or so while he/she gets a better feel for the metroplex? I'm a metroplex native who has lived away for most of my post high school life. We're moving back this summer and despite what I would've felt had someone asked a year or so ago, I realized that I didn't really have as great a feel for Dallas as I thought I did. After researching for the past few months and perusing this forum, I didn't realize that the DFW real estate market was as hot as it is. I assumed it lagged behind both Austin and Houston due to the abundance of options, but come to find out it rivals, if not exceeds them in some cases.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:32 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,522,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I 100% agree with your "in town taste in a suburban budget" comment - it's extremely expensive to live within the 635 loop if you want great K-12 schools, public or private.

But I disagre with the strident attitude comment. OP was unfairly attacked by multiple posters for asking a pretty basic question- "hey, I'm looking at $350k+ homes zoned to WT White schools and noticing the neighborhood demographics skew affluent and more white than other races....what am I missing because it seems like the houses around the schools aren't using the schools, leaving the school demographics to not mirror the neighborhood's". Other posters are projecting their own racial issues or identity struggles onto an innocent question.

It's an honest question and one that is pretty easy to wonder about given the extreme affluence of North Dallad and the extreme poverty in the majority of North Dallas schools. I wouldn't expect someone researching a relo from 1400 miles away to understand that affluent families - of ANY color (the new JCPenney CEO is black, chose Preston Hollow for a home and a PH private school for his child) - choose to live there because of close proximity to private schools and that 90%+ of the affluent families have never set foot inside their neighborhood public school.

Heck, there is a DISD elementary school less than 100 yards fom former President Bush's home. The home behind Bush's is for sale for $100,000,000. Yet, Pershing Elementary is over 90% ED, 90% Hispanic, and had fewer than 10 white students the last time I checked. The school's attendance zone reaches as far north as Spring Valley because that's the amount of land it takes to fill the school when all the neighborhood kids are enrolled in private schools. The school busses kids in from 5 miles away from a neighborhood that looks nothing like where the school is located. Contrast that to HPISD elementary schools orLake Highland's coveted elementaries where no house is further than 1-1.25 miles from the assigned elementary and the schools are overflowing from high demand.

DISD has a lot of challenges, none larger than convincing middle class and lower upper class families to give them a shot. There is no other way to change the district'so reputation and increase performance but the deck is stacked against the district and its 85% ED population, There are some great grass roots programs at the elementary level in north, east, and southwest Dallas but it's hard to convince these parents to give middle school a shot when multiple elementary schools are combined at 6th grade, mixing kids with educated & involved parents with those whose parents main focus is putting food on the table and keeping the lights on, not making sure junior can read or do algebra. It mixes kids whose Extracurriculars are art & piano lessons, club sports, and Boy Scouts with kids whose extracurriculars are gangs / drug running
or avoiding gangs..... It changes the classroom dynamics considerably from the handful of insulated neighborhood elementary schools.

If I were relocating like OP is, I would appreciate the straight truth about these schools vs finding out on my own after making a $350k purchase.
Eyes wide, hands up, backing away slowly... Wow.

I get that OP was asking a question and some posters kinda hijacked but OP's participation got a little, shall we say, animated. My reading comprehension is pretty darn good despite the fact that I didn't go to HP schools. I really can't believe I have made it this far in life but we poor people have lots of gumption. Always better to maintain one's chill rather than blowing a gasket, especially on an internet forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas