Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 AM

49 posts, read 68,577 times

Advertisements

Thks all for the info/advice...I hope to get a foundation person out here soon...the inspector did not see any visible cracks in exterior brick veneer walls but we can easily see about 8-10 crack in the dry wall on corners or ceiling joints...the cracks vary from 2 inches to about 10 inches(not split wide open)...Also he did say some of the doors are misaligned as well..I will keep this thread updated as i move along
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 10:54 AM

144 posts, read 207,544 times
It's 2015, why aren't we using robots instead of tiny plumbers.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:16 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrawl View Post
I have a house under contract built in 1965 in the Richardson area. We had an inspection which pointed out a number of things, a few which are below:
1. He saw moisture in the soil - Would you expect to see this typically with Pier and Beam along with the fact we have had such a wet winter into spring? I do not think there is any humidification currently.

A properly ventilated P&B with proper grading and drainage on the exterior should not be wet to the point it is easily detectable. How much "moisture" did the Inspector find?

2. Since AC duct work goes through that space, there is strong musty smell in the house. The house hasn't had the owner in there much so has been closed quite a bit along with all the rain might be a big reason for the strong smell. Any has experience with this and how to reduce some of the smell?

The musty smell can be entering through improperly sealed openings in the flooring. It can also be entering through improperly sealed and insulated ductwork. Hopefully your ductwork was correctly elevated off of the ground?

3. There wasnt much space for him to move around much with all the ductwork in the foundation area. Has anyone had foundation assessment/work done with similar situation?

With extensive obstructions such as ductwork, low framing, etc., a proper evaluation of the conditions under the foundation would be difficult at best if at all possible.

Anything else folks have seen/experienced/recommend we would should look into, would be appreciated.

thanks
Quote:
Thks for the quick responses!
No, he did not see any immediate foundation issues but could not go far since there was a lot of duct work and he wasn't able to fit after a few feet(the dude was a little big).

Big or small from what you are describing there might not be sufficient access to properly evaluate the foundation.

We have a structural engineers report from 2013 from the seller stating the foundation in good condition, no remarkable settlement or instability observed. It also said grading and drainage was sufficient and not a probable cause for foundation settlement or distress.

A report from 2013 is unreliable this long after the evaluation even if it was thorough. Many, many conditions can easily change in that long of a time frame. It is good to get an idea for the condition in 2013 but you should verify it as of today. I do have a question regarding this report and the conditions you are noting with the obstructions under the home. Was anything stated in the Engineer's report that the underside of the home was accessed and evaluated?

We are trying to get in touch with the engineer if he could get give more details as to what all he looked at.

Hopefully she/he will be willing to discuss this but I would doubt if they would state or discuss anything beyond what was written in the report.

Will also check on the AC filters.
The issue with foundation companies is that I called two and both didnt have anything open for another 2 weeks. Being pier and beam doesn't help obviously. I will look to get someone out thee soon for a check.

I sent you a DM with the names of three reliable foundation repair companies that have good response times typically.
Quote:
Thks all for the info/advice...I hope to get a foundation person out here soon...the inspector did not see any visible cracks in exterior brick veneer walls but we can easily see about 8-10 crack in the dry wall on corners or ceiling joints...the cracks vary from 2 inches to about 10 inches(not split wide open)...Also he did say some of the doors are misaligned as well..I will keep this thread updated as i move along

Did the Inspector find any indications of previous brick repairs?
Thoughts, answers, and questions above in blue.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:25 PM

82 posts, read 221,791 times
We just closed on a historical house with a few foundation issues. We are using A-1 Foundation Repair... what I like about them is that they also send a structural engineer out to do a separate evaluation as a 'check' for their proposed work. I have been told you want to keep it dry under there... too much soggy will exacerbate the movement

Old 05-11-2015, 09:49 PM

thks guys..
Produrre...coincidentally we also got A-1 Foundation Repair folks to review our foundation..I am waiting on their report since they did the inspection this evening..

Old 05-15-2015, 12:24 AM

Just wanted to update all the folks who provided advice and feedback..I had the foundation inspection done and all came back pretty clear with only minor sagging in the middle of home which cause some sheetrock cracking...They said its not a big deal and doesnt need to be fixed anytime soon...They also said the owner had forgotten to open the vents after winter hence the extra moisture and smell in the house...overall for a 65 built house it was in good shape..thks again all for responses!

Old 05-15-2015, 12:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Just wanted to update all the folks who provided advice and feedback..I had the foundation inspection done and all came back pretty clear with only minor sagging in the middle of home which cause some sheetrock cracking...They said its not a big deal and doesnt need to be fixed anytime soon...They also said the owner had forgotten to open the vents after winter hence the extra moisture and smell in the house...overall for a 65 built house it was in good shape..thks again all for responses!
Great news! Welcome to the area! When do you close?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Glad you got a good report. Thanks for updating.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:58 PM

Thks...I close mid June...Got really lucky with having the same closing date for the townhome I am selling and home I am buying

Last edited by dabrawl; 05-17-2015 at 09:13 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 07:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Thks...I close mid June...Got really lucky with having the same closing date for the townhome I am selling and home I am buying
Awesome! I hope you and your family will be very happy in Richardson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas