Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 04:28 PM

25 posts, read 37,236 times

Advertisements

I am a jogger and live in a neighborhood with many walkers and joggers. It always surprises me to see that a good number of them are walking/jogging with - rather than against - the flow of traffic. I can remember learning this rule in grade school and was under the impression that it was just good common sense. You need to see the cars coming at you and should never just assume they see you (especially in early dawn or dusk). Going against the flow of traffic gives you the ability to get out of the way of an oncoming car if you have to. And for goodness sake- wear something reflective or carry a light if it is dark.
That's all- rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 04:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Right there with you. A guy yesterday was running on a main road with traffic. Amazes me more people don't know better.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:49 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
And regardless of the direction of traffic flow on your side of the street ALWAYS be aware that driving into the sun creates a hazard for any driver. If you are between a driver and the sun do NOT assume the driver can see you. And that applies to any major roadway as well as any 'go slow' neighborhood street. Intersections included.

That's more from bicycling the 'mean streets of Dallas' but would apply to walkers and joggers as well.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:58 AM

218 posts, read 337,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroxian View Post
And regardless of the direction of traffic flow on your side of the street ALWAYS be aware that driving into the sun creates a hazard for any driver. If you are between a driver and the sun do NOT assume the driver can see you. And that applies to any major roadway as well as any 'go slow' neighborhood street. Intersections included.

That's more from bicycling the 'mean streets of Dallas' but would apply to walkers and joggers as well.
Jogging at sunrise sunset I make this my default.
Other times I prefer running against when there is shoulder available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: