Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 PM

80 posts, read 108,469 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently looking for a home in N. Garland and Richardson. I'm thinking that we should buy in Richardson because they have a better school district than Garland, however my husband is pushing Garland.

Is Richardson ISD all that it's cracked up to be? Or is Garland ISD underrated? Is it a matter of the worst high school in RISD is equivalent to the best high school in GISD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:45 AM

28,559 posts, read 18,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoofi View Post
My husband and I are currently looking for a home in N. Garland and Richardson. I'm thinking that we should buy in Richardson because they have a better school district than Garland, however my husband is pushing Garland.

Is Richardson ISD all that it's cracked up to be? Or is Garland ISD underrated? Is it a matter of the worst high school in RISD is equivalent to the best high school in GISD?
We live in north Garland, but are just a bit over the border and are thus in the Richardson ISD. So check that aspect--I don't know offhand just how far into Garland the Richardson ISD reaches.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We live in north Garland, but are just a bit over the border and are thus in the Richardson ISD. So check that aspect--I don't know offhand just how far into Garland the Richardson ISD reaches.
I'm familiar with some areas of Garland being zoned to Richardson ISD but I don't want to restrict my home search unnecessarily to only homes in those areas if my children can get a good education in Garland ISD.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:56 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,694,168 times
You're looking too wide. Richardson ISD is Richardson with 4 high schools. Garland ISD is Garland, Sachse, and Rowlett with a LOT more schools. You can't compare the districts. You need to compare school to school. Look at the schools in the areas you like and then call the schools and ask them questions you would want answered. Garland ISD has good schools and not-so-good schools just like Dallas ISD gets a bad rap, but has several really good, and highly rated schools.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:57 AM

3,808 posts, read 8,692,630 times
They absolutely can. Yes there are some challenges in Garland but the district does a pretty good job considering the high level of Title 1 students. Additionally you have choice in Garland. We sent out daughter to a different elementary than our neighborhood one. And then back to the neighborhood middle school and high school. She graduated 14 years ago and the kids she went to school with are successful at their jobs and many have homes near where they grew up.

Also if you're looking at Garland, keep in mind that Sachse is also in GISD. There's parts of Garland closer to the schools in Sachse

Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
They absolutely can. Yes there are some challenges in Garland but the district does a pretty good job considering the high level of Title 1 students. Additionally you have choice in Garland. We sent out daughter to a different elementary than our neighborhood one. And then back to the neighborhood middle school and high school. She graduated 14 years ago and the kids she went to school with are successful at their jobs and many have homes near where they grew up.

Also if you're looking at Garland, keep in mind that Sachse is also in GISD. There's parts of Garland closer to the schools in Sachse
Thanks for the encouragement. We're looking to settle either in Firewheel or north of Belt Line, and while we have choice of school. I can't help but wonder if we would be better off in east Richardson schools (which seem to be the only part of Richardson that our budget fits.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You're looking too wide. Richardson ISD is Richardson with 4 high schools. Garland ISD is Garland, Sachse, and Rowlett with a LOT more schools. You can't compare the districts. You need to compare school to school. Look at the schools in the areas you like and then call the schools and ask them questions you would want answered. Garland ISD has good schools and not-so-good schools just like Dallas ISD gets a bad rap, but has several really good, and highly rated schools.
Will definitely look into each individual school as that is more important than anything.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:14 AM

161 posts, read 258,670 times
Parts of NE Richardson also feed to Plano ISD

Old 05-21-2015, 10:21 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
RISD Pearce is head & shoulders above any other RISD or Garland HS. Pearce is a top 10 area high school and ranks between Plano Senior and Plano East.

Garland HS has a very esteemed IB program. It was the first one in the metroplex, I believe. Garland ISD is unique because you can enroll in any school, district wide, as long as there's room. Preference is give to the neighborhoods officially zoned to each school. If you can get into Garland HS IB, it's equal to Pearce, IMO.

Richardson and Lake Highlands HS are quite diverse. The white students are high performing, for the most part, and the low income minority kids are not. Your socioeconomic status will determine your kids' performance in those HS zones but I wouldn't hesitate to send kids to either school. The high schools in northern Garland ISD have better demographics and are ok, too.

RISD Berkner and GISD South Garland should be avoided at all costs.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 AM

379 posts, read 361,653 times
Once you get to the large districts like Garland ISD and Richardson ISD that have huge campuses with lots of opportunities for students, I think the success your child finds is more a product of their own motivation. If we were talking about a podunk district that didn't have AP classes vs. one that did, yeah sure it'll make a difference. But I don't think obsessing over Naaman Forest HS or Berkner HS or whatever is productive. The differences are going to be marginal. And who knows... maybe at the "better" school the kid will fall into the wrong crowd anyway. It's a crap shoot.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:28 AM

645 posts, read 828,972 times
The only reason i would chose Garland over Richardson, is because of FIOS and that too in the 75044 zip code. Otherwise, Richardson is better option.

Gutted that i have to let go of FIOS! Got a house in Richardson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas