Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:54 PM

79 posts, read 104,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Why not just move to Flower Mound? I just moved from Lantana to Flower Mound, and while Lantana has a lot going for it (although resale and rental value are very strong, although rental maybe not so much in the $450,000 range), it's really far out. That extra 10-15 minutes to get anywhere, or get home, really starts to wear on you after a while. Also, are you factoring in the high HOA costs of living in Lantana?

West Plano and Lantana are very far apart and very different. If Lantana is a consideration, the Flower Mound should be as well. I really liked living in Lantana, but after a few weeks of not having to spend an extra 25-40 minutes a day in the car, I doubt I would ever go back.
Yes, looking at FM. However included Lantana in my search hence my original question how they compared to FM schools. No "brand new" homes in FMHS zone, at least none that I could find.

Not that older homes are bad, but I guess it is all part of the shopping experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 11:01 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
New homes are in Lakeside in that price range. There are a few other developments, but most are in the $550,000 plus range. $450,000 will buy you a very recently built home in Flower Mound, though, but I realize that isn't the same as brand new.

Feel free to send me any Lantana or Flower Mound questions. I've been in the area for a long time now.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:29 PM

79 posts, read 104,553 times
Quote:
New homes are in Lakeside in that price range. There are a few other developments, but most are in the $550,000 plus range. $450,000 will buy you a very recently built home in Flower Mound, though, but I realize that isn't the same as brand new.

Feel free to send me any Lantana or Flower Mound questions. I've been in the area for a long time now.
Thank you very much, this forum is a great resource

Old 06-01-2015, 12:02 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
If the drive isn't an issue, you might consider homes zoned to Argyle ISD too.

This is just my feeling (not comparing facts) based on graduating from FMHS and seeing the area zoned to Guyer extensively (parents moved into a new home off Copper Canyon Road last year). 10 years ago, I'd say no way to Denton ISD. Now...I think I might strongly consider it, at least that portion. I'd still prefer Argyle schools, but when you look at the homes feeding into Guyer and consider that socioeconomic status is one of the biggest predictors of academic success in public schools, I think they are likely well on their way to being pretty good. Maybe not the top, but a strong contender in 5-10 years.

Of course FMHS is going to beat the pants off Guyer, but it is also more established. Also, as a grad from 10 years ago and seeing the difference between what I experienced there (awesome education, but intense) to what it is like now (sister is going to be a senior there), it is an absolute pressure cooker for high achieving students--like most top schools in the area. As a mom of young children, my husband and I are starting to consider that maybe we don't even want "the top" schools for our kids--pretty good might be a better option.

But there is a lot of personal philosophy in there, so take it as you will.

As for shopping and things to do, you have everything you need in the area. Goodness...the new Kroger off 407 is something to behold. 10 minutes away you have a gorgeous Wal Mart Supercenter, SuperTarget, and Whole Foods for grocery shopping alone. It's the commute that is the biggest factor.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:23 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
There are no "bangs for your buck" these days. If you want a brand new house, you look further out and possibly sacrifice schools to meet your house wants. If you want a better location or top schools, you look at smaller/older houses. Which one you choose depends on your priorities.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:56 PM

218 posts, read 337,025 times
Quote:

Which communities are built recently? Which zip code would they be in?
I see many 1994-1996 built homes and brand new homes.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:50 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggierk View Post
Which communities are built recently? Which zip code would they be in?
I see many 1994-1996 built homes and brand new homes.
Flower Mound only has two zip codes, 75022 and 75028. There's a wide spread in each of them, but a lot of houses in Wellington by Quail Run were built after 2002-2003, and there are some newer developments along 1171 (can't remember the names). I believe Bridlewood has some newer homes as well.

It really depends on price as to what age and where.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:27 AM

218 posts, read 337,025 times
Quote:
Flower Mound only has two zip codes, 75022 and 75028. There's a wide spread in each of them, but a lot of houses in Wellington by Quail Run were built after 2002-2003, and there are some newer developments along 1171 (can't remember the names). I believe Bridlewood has some newer homes as well.

It really depends on price as to what age and where.
Thanks and repped.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:01 AM

30 posts, read 28,996 times
i see, thanks

Old 10-30-2015, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,469 times
Lantana doesn't even compare? The tax rates in Lantana are extremely high compared to other areas? For the price of a 465k you have the same payment as a 500k in Flower Mound city/Argyle Schools. The school ratings in Argyle are all exempt. Most people who have younger kids are ok with the Razor. No way I'd want kids to go up to Denton for H.S. Also Lantana is NOT even in a city? Sooner or later it will be part of a city and the taxes will go HIGHER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas