Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:52 AM

247 posts, read 379,565 times

Advertisements

i think a lot of it depends where you live, i have noticed that if im near any urbanized/built up area bugs are hardly noticeable, however if i am in my yard in east dallas at dusk ill get eaten alive.

i think its pretty good rule of thumb that the closer you hare to thicker vegetation/trees and water, the worse bugs and humidity you can expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 05:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whj3773 View Post
i think a lot of it depends where you live, i have noticed that if im near any urbanized/built up area bugs are hardly noticeable, however if i am in my yard in east dallas at dusk ill get eaten alive.

i think its pretty good rule of thumb that the closer you hare to thicker vegetation/trees and water, the worse bugs and humidity you can expect.
Yeah, seems like those of us in East Dallas have more skeeters. My hood (Lake Highlands) is ground zero for West Nile. I've been trying to find the best non toxic cure for skeeters. Thought I had the answer with this stuff all sold in the best garden shops but noticed it said it was extremely toxic to cats. I don't have any cats, but unlike that sick vet in Austin, I'd hate to find out some neighbor's kitty wandered through my backyard and then got seriously sick or worse.

Would love to hear any other advice about ridding skeeters from others in Skeeterville.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:09 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times
We're from southern California. I'm on your side.
Bugs, weeds, humidity, still hot at night -- I get it.
This is our third summer here. It's frustrating, I know.
At least we have water?? (But no beach. Sigh.)

Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
We're from southern California. I'm on your side.
Bugs, weeds, humidity, still hot at night -- I get it.
This is our third summer here. It's frustrating, I know.
At least we have water?? (But no beach. Sigh.)
And that's why we try and inform those on this forum. We also don't have a state income tax and the overall COL is lower.

The bugs don't bother me much, we have a service and spray ourselves with Off. Wife, kids and I are outside almost every night from 5:30-8ish in the backyard.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
And that's why we try and inform those on this forum. We also don't have a state income tax and the overall COL is lower.

The bugs don't bother me much, we have a service and spray ourselves with Off. Wife, kids and I are outside almost every night from 5:30-8ish in the backyard.
We're here because this is where my husband's job is.
I didn't mean to sound so negative, because there are some good things about living here.
But it is a rough transition to make. What I miss the most: leaving the back door wide open all evening to let the cool breezes in and going for a walk on the beach.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
I didn't mean to sound so negative, because there are some good things about living here.
But it is a rough transition to make. What I miss the most: leaving the back door wide open all evening to let the cool breezes in and going for a walk on the beach.
No beach, but we leave windows and doors open to catch the nice crossbreeze.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Quote:
Absolutely. We would be doing the later if it wasn't for family. I love Texas, but I love beaches and cooler weather even more. Though family trumps all.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:13 AM

450 posts, read 555,711 times
Guess this all depends where you live per say. Coming from the North (Chicago), I haven't been really surprised at all.

Ant hills are definitely more rampant down here. Amdro kills them pretty quickly.

Mosquitoes are pretty bad. Considering spraying my backyard with mosquito killer. This is about my only problem. Mosquitos were bad up north.

Haven't run into a snake yet, but we have had a few large ones in the neighborhood and it would scare me to death. Keep garage and yard clean.

Had one wasp in my backyard. Hammer took care of the small nest.

Ran into 1-2 beetles. Nothing crazy. They left.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:16 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Ice cold beer!

Old 06-26-2015, 11:17 PM

49 posts, read 41,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
I agree I find Texas's climate to be kinda harsh. Skeeters are a nightmare but nothing scares me more than chiggers. Eww! And it is hard to get a day where the temp is right, it's not raining etc. It's certainly not the west coast.

New England is not much better, but a little. We don't have chiggers, but we got ticks. Skeeters there are just like the people - more aggressive and in your face. NE winter is as bad as SW summer.

I have a beautiful patio which is largely for show. I'm gonna try EDS_'s tips though to see about reducing skeeters. Would really like to enjoy my backyard w/o a bath in DEET.

Wife n I had a curiously nice moment Saturday I think. It was a merciful 79 degrees and we were sitting outside Starbucks in Town East. There was a nice strong breeze and since it was all concrete - no skeeter breeding grounds. We sat out comfortable and unmolested recounting how in Dallas outdoor seating opportunities are rare and we were enjoying that moment very much. That and often Sidewalk cafe scenery in DFW is usually a parking lot, but on the upside it usually smells better than NYC or BOS.

I agree! I hate chiggers. I spent just 30 minutes in my backyard last June and ended up with over 50 chigger bites! This year I had the yard treated and got only 15 bites. Still it's awful missing sleep over multiple nights due to the constant itching. With Mosquitos, I just avoid being out in the yard between 7-9 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas