Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:49 AM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times

Advertisements

I know this has come up before with some asking should I move to Dallas and then look for a job. Well here is the meat and potatoes of what I have seen. And at this point I would answer that question with a resounding NO!!

Dallas/Ft Worth may be #1 with job growth in the country but compared to what? Just read today 31 states are in a budget crisis and need help!

I had a job prospect fall through mainly due to competition out here right now. This was a fed job and I rated 93.89 and it turns out that enough people and veterans preference points knocked me out of the game. I have always rated in the 90's on civil service or fed jobs and always got hired. This agency reached their hiring numbers at 94.25.

Now I did plan to live on savings if things did go that way but I am seeing things like professional guys with MBA's in stuff like Marketing at a job fair for customer service!! Very humbling experience.

Even if you relocate with six months of savings, I would say it's a bad idea in this job market. Granted DFW is a great place to move to but look at what is going on financially everywhere. Dallas unemployment rate is at 5.2 percent. According to US Bureau of Labor Stats the national rate is 6.1 percent!

So if you don't have to move and got a job where you are I would say ride it out until things turn around. Unless you got a solid job offer in your field. This is not the time to be adventurous and pack up the volvo with $3,000 in your pocket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 11:09 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Like that all over the place. The unemployment rate out here in CA is damn near 7%. That is getting up there with Detroit levels. Whatever you do don't lose your job other wise you will be in a world of hurt. All these people living paycheck to paycheck will probably get thrown to the streets if they lose their jobs. I am looking for an accounting job right now out here in OC and I am coming up with nothing. I have no experience in the field so I always get pushed aside. College degree means NOTHING without experience. Internships are few and difficult to get.

I am just fortunate to have been able to get a 9/hr job back when the housing boom was in full swing. The employer I am working with now hired me on the spot. That is how much they needed people. Now, they don't hire anyone. In fact, they've even started laying off the higher ups (ie. managers/leads etc.)

Though times a head.

Last edited by killer2021; 10-09-2008 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
Dallas was bad during the last downturn. Unless you have compelling reasons, an economic downturn is typically not a good time to be moving.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:45 AM

937 posts, read 2,905,969 times
Basically, you do not want to move anywhere without having a job lined up. I don't know why anyone would unless they were independently wealthy.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 AM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Dallas was bad during the last downturn. Unless you have compelling reasons, an economic downturn is typically not a good time to be moving.
Welcome to 1991, when I graduated college.

New BBA in finance, couldn't land anything but a job which pretty much anyone who could add number couldn't do.

I was competing directly with people holding MBA's and ten years in the biz for jobs paying $30K.

Oh, and so-called unemployment numbers, as provided by the government and media, are 100% worthless. That number does not include anyone but those fired or laid-off, and then only in the past six months.

Not particularly useful in the real world, in which I heard a number recently. 1.8 million unemployed longer than six months, and not counted in said 'unemployment' number.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
Basically, you do not want to move anywhere without having a job lined up. I don't know why anyone would unless they were independently wealthy.
Well in some cases you almost have to be here or keep flying out for every single session they have. I had to fly out at my expense for the fingerprinting, background and employee i.d. session. Then found out I would have to come back in a week or two for a telephone assessment test. I come from a law enforcement agency as a civilian and applying with those here, they want you to come and test right away. I have two test lined up with two cities this month so if I were not here I wouldn't bother.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
Well in some cases you almost have to be here or keep flying out for every single session they have. I had to fly out at my expense for the fingerprinting, background and employee i.d. session. Then found out I would have to come back in a week or two for a telephone assessment test. I come from a law enforcement agency as a civilian and applying with those here, they want you to come and test right away. I have two test lined up with two cities this month so if I were not here I wouldn't bother.
Well that is unfortunate. Is that common in most industries though? I work in IT and stay away from jobs that make me pay my own way without any job commitment.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 PM

Common with federal gov jobs. On most postings it will say no relocation will be paid also meaning no pay for cost associated with going thru the process.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
Common with federal gov jobs. On most postings it will say no relocation will be paid also meaning no pay for cost associated with going thru the process.
I've worked on 2 government projects but as a contractor and not an employee. I just mailed in my fingerprints and was pretty much ready to go. Have you explored going the contractor route?

Old 10-09-2008, 02:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
no benefits with contractor status
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: