U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2015, 02:24 PM
 
33 posts, read 33,343 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobr View Post
I have a big tree in front of my house that provides good shade to my house. During the inspection the SE recommended we put in a clause with the closing agreement to have the seller install a "root barrier" between the tree and our house and thanks to the "not so crazy housing market" then the seller happily got it installed for us. Again this was just a preventive measure as recommended by the SE.

I currently water the foundation every other day for about 20 mins. During peak summer I increase the frequency to every day and during winter I reduce the frequency much lower. Again it all depends!! Hope this helps.
Now that you mention a tree, this house has a tree within 6 feet of where the crack was noted. However, the inspector said the tree was not the cause, it was just normal settlement. Not sure how he made that determination. The other general inspector suggested getting rid of that tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2015, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Plano, TX
240 posts, read 273,472 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DfwNoMad View Post
Now that you mention a tree, this house has a tree within 6 feet of where the crack was noted. However, the inspector said the tree was not the cause, it was just normal settlement. Not sure how he made that determination. The other general inspector suggested getting rid of that tree.
I agree with the inspector. You may want to get a root barrier installed between the tree and the house as a precaution for the future in case you decide to close on this house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 PM
 
15 posts, read 12,700 times
Reputation: 15
I just had a buyer walk because of some foundation movement. We did have some minimal cracks in the interior of the house because of the movement, so we hired a structural engineer to assess the damage before we put the house on the market. Based on his findings it was all cosmetic and he didn't recommend any foundation repairs. We had all the cracks in the home repaired and included a copy of his report in the sellers disclosure. Our home was on the market for about three days before we went under contract, but the buyers walked because the inspector recommend they get a second opinion from a foundation company. Long story short, foundation company said it was 18k in damages and they totally disregarded the PE report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
873 posts, read 865,389 times
Reputation: 424
Foundation company wants to sells "repairs" - it's in their interest right? This is where good Realtors on both sides are needed. Sounds like rookie buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 02:21 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,890 posts, read 1,245,364 times
Reputation: 6445
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Foundation company wants to sells "repairs" - it's in their interest right? This is where good Realtors on both sides are needed. Sounds like rookie buyers.


That's not true, I use a local company that has been in business for a long time. After his inspection and readings, he said I did not need any foundation work. I informed him that some of my closet doors are sticking, he said wait until after the spring rain and the door will close correctly. He was absolutely correct, and I had a foundation drip irrigation system installed last month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Plano, TX
240 posts, read 273,472 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Foundation company wants to sells "repairs" - it's in their interest right? This is where good Realtors on both sides are needed. Sounds like rookie buyers.
Foundation repairs are BIG business in the DFW area and usually they recommend some kind of repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
That's not true, I use a local company that has been in business for a long time. After his inspection and readings, he said I did not need any foundation work. I informed him that some of my closet doors are sticking, he said wait until after the spring rain and the door will close correctly. He was absolutely correct, and I had a foundation drip irrigation system installed last month.
Can you pass me the foundation company details. I would love to use this guy if I ever run into any foundation issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Allen
283 posts, read 285,149 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathological liar View Post
I just had a buyer walk because of some foundation movement. We did have some minimal cracks in the interior of the house because of the movement, so we hired a structural engineer to assess the damage before we put the house on the market. Based on his findings it was all cosmetic and he didn't recommend any foundation repairs. We had all the cracks in the home repaired and included a copy of his report in the sellers disclosure. Our home was on the market for about three days before we went under contract, but the buyers walked because the inspector recommend they get a second opinion from a foundation company. Long story short, foundation company said it was 18k in damages and they totally disregarded the PE report.
That's not a wise buyer, can you DM me the house location ? I have a colleague looking for a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top