U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 07:21 PM

87 posts, read 85,588 times

Advertisements

I have a leaky roof and I want to change it but everyone says that I need to wait for a hailstorm. Where is hail, when you need some?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 04:19 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,569,606 times
By not addressing the problem and properly maintaining your home, you will likely end up with more expensive damage that will not be covered by a fraudulent insurance claim.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:01 PM

Off course I'm getting it fixed, just not replacing it. What's fraudulent?

Old 06-30-2015, 09:32 AM

1,855 posts, read 5,670,655 times
You need to repair the roof now that you have discovered a leak rather than wait for a hail storm to take it out and make an insurance claim. Insurance companies are not naive and can tell if you have had a long term water penetration problem. They can deny any claim due to the water damage and can potentially deny any claim to repair or replace the roof if they believe that potential fraud is occurring.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:19 PM

It's not about not fixing, I was thinking of replacing the whole thing but was advised to only do repair and maintenance unless it absolutely need to be replaced. Why would I let roof leak and not get it fixed?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:59 PM

3,810 posts, read 3,703,126 times
Quote:
but was advised to only do repair and maintenance unless it absolutely need to be replaced.
Advised by who?

Ask a roofing professional if your roof needs to be replaced or just a few spots repaired, not your cagey brother in law. My roof is 20 plus years old, so if you are waiting on a hail storm to do significant damage before replacing the whole thing, if might be soon or it might be a long time.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:29 PM

1,855 posts, read 5,670,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian2 View Post
I have a leaky roof and I want to change it but everyone says that I need to wait for a hailstorm. Where is hail, when you need some?
Quote:
It's not about not fixing, I was thinking of replacing the whole thing but was advised to only do repair and maintenance unless it absolutely need to be replaced. Why would I let roof leak and not get it fixed?
I believe I am part of everyone aren't I? If so I have not said that.

If you have a roof that is leaking get it fixed now. If the roof is near its useful life then have it replaced now. I don't know how familiar you are with insurances but unless you got one expensive, wiz-bang policy the insurance underwriter is going to depreciate your roof value anyhow and not pay out very much. In other words the insurance company is not going to pay you full cost of a new roof (minus deductible of course). Instead if you have for example a 20 year roof that is already 15 years old they will depreciate the replacement cost by 75% (15/20), then subtract your deductible, and that is what they will pay you for replacing the roof.

You should be careful about what "everyone" says since sometimes it is not in your best interest.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:56 AM

Everyone includes two roofers as well. It is a 12 year old roof but both roofers are positive that it is in fair shape to serve well for few years given proper maintenance.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:39 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,569,606 times
Quote:
Everyone includes two roofers as well.
Roofers are telling you they don't want your money and advise you to wait for a natural disaster?

That's a first.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:14 AM

They are not into residential business, one is a friend who works with a commercial contractor and other retired years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas