U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 10:08 PM

14 posts, read 10,406 times

Advertisements

Hello I just moved to the Oak lawn area, but it was a hurried decision and I really didn't explore the area. I have only been to Dallas once for two days before moving here today.

I am on Cedar Springs just south of Wellborn Street. I drove in from the north coming down Lemmon and then cutting over on Douglas or Wycliff to Cedar Springs. Keeping in mind that I just moved from the midwest, I felt like the area was sketchy.

My question is, is it safe for me to be walking around the Oak Lawn area? From what I have been reading it seems that for Cedar Springs it is best to stay south of Oak Lawn avenue? But I am trying to figure out the east / west / north limits of where I can comfortably walk.

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,447,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS86 View Post
Hello I just moved to the Oak lawn area, but it was a hurried decision and I really didn't explore the area. I have only been to Dallas once for two days before moving here today.

I am on Cedar Springs just south of Wellborn Street. I drove in from the north coming down Lemmon and then cutting over on Douglas or Wycliff to Cedar Springs. Keeping in mind that I just moved from the midwest, I felt like the area was sketchy.

My question is, is it safe for me to be walking around the Oak Lawn area? From what I have been reading it seems that for Cedar Springs it is best to stay south of Oak Lawn avenue? But I am trying to figure out the east / west / north limits of where I can comfortably walk.

Thanks for the input.
Welborn is surrounded by high dollar condos, and you drove through north Oak Lawn. If what you've seen of Oak Lawn so far seems sketchy, then boy are you in for a wake up call, because you've seen the best parts...

There are only a few parts of Oak Lawn I consider sketchy, but they are all off Maple, and aren't close to anything of interest. Cedar Springs has all the gay bars, which are crowded about half the week, but easy to avoid. There are some homeless people who wander around during the day, but they are mostly harmless, just don't interact with them.

Mostly, I think Oak Lawn is safe. I've lived in the area for several years, and haven't had a single incident. The only thing that scares me walking is the fast moving cars. I think you'll be fine walking, but you are in a big city so common sense precautions apply: don't walk alone at night, don't walk home alone and drunk, have a friend to walk with, lock your car doors, don't leave valuables in sight in your car, etc.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:19 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,569,606 times
That area is fine. a few single ladies from our office live within a few blocks of there and it's never been a problem. Walking north a few blocks from there along turtle creek, you have Jerry Jones house and the Crow Estate. It's safe to say the least. North along Oak Lawn is busy but also safe and a lot to see/do.
Walking south is mainly low rise mediocre retail so not much to see/do and walking East will get you to Katy Trail and Uptown beyond. I wouldn't suggest walking alone at night over to Katy Trail but not because of any specific pattern of incidents. It's more of a common sense don't-walk-in-the-woods-alone thing.
Directly West is the cedar springs strip anchored by the Melrose hotel on the corner. Café Brazil for breakfast and Hunkys for burgers. Again, plenty safe but there are a few events along that area that can generate a ton of people and traffic from outside the area. Look up cedar springs Halloween block party.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:24 AM

14 posts, read 10,406 times
Thank you both for the feedback!

Old 07-03-2015, 09:55 AM

291 posts, read 574,178 times
I lived at the Ilume on Cedar Springs for 2 years and felt perfectly safe walking around the neighborhood. I used to go get food at 11pm sometimes or later and felt safe. The only thing I didn't feel safe about was the traffic. People seem to ignore pedestrians and there were several pedestrians hit by cars on that stretch of Cedar Springs while I lived there. I also had a number of close calls walking on the sidewalks.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:29 PM

45 posts, read 58,099 times
You're not exactly clear on where you are, but if you're where I think you are, your area really isn't sketchy anymore. Oak Lawn used to be a high crime area but those days are pretty much gone and it's only going to be gentrified further for the foreseeable future.

As a previous poster said, if you head west along Maple you will hit a pretty tough neighborhood pretty soon but if you stick to Cedar Springs and Oak Lawn you're in pretty safe territory (albeit you'll miss some very good restaurants and takeout places.) You'll get a feel for it the longer you live here and explore.

Put it this way, you're around a mile from a Whole Foods...

Property crime is a bigger deal: our building has suffered break-ins both attempted and successful into a few times in the past few years. If you live at street level or have access from the street without a gate, keep your door locked at all times. Most crime here is opportunistic so don't give it a chance.

I'm a man so I can't speak for women, but my wife has never had any trouble here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas