U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:02 AM

236 posts, read 1,026,263 times

Advertisements

Imagine you're in your late 20s, married, 0 kids with about $350k to spend on a house. Pretty typical wants -nice open floor-plan with solid finishings/polishings/not run down/good community/good schools/not ghetto. Where would you realistically look and be able to find something?

We found a great house in Ridgewood Park zoned to Dan D Rogers. While we don't have kids, we do plan to start within the next year or two. Perhaps it won't matter by the time they actually start school in 5 years, but it would've been nice to find something zoned to Lakewood or Stonewall Jackson, given that we're so close in this zip code.

The location itself isn't bad. It's not great (not really walkable to anything of course), but it's close to a lot of things all things considered.

I'm wondering if this is a good area to be buying in right now. Bishop Arts/Kessler Park seems to be all the buzz but we haven't been very lucky in terms of what we're looking for in a house. It doesn't seem like an area that will boom more than it is, but it also seems like it'd be a pretty stable investment for the foreseeable future.

Talking in circles... guess I'm just looking for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 08:27 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,574,631 times
That area between 75 and White Rock Lake will always be in demand so, baring catastrophic failure of the structure, you should be fine. Most couples live in their first house 5-7 years so schools won't be a factor until house #2. That said, most here will condemn the schools outside of the private options in Dallas proper so if you intend to raise a family inside the core and avoid the suburbs, you may want to invest that cash now, live below your means and prepare for $30k/year in grade school expenses.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:57 PM

517 posts, read 768,974 times
I bought my first house in Ridewood Park when I was single. After I got married I we lived there through our first child. Then we needed a bigger house and wanted a great elementry school so we moved down the road to Lakewood.

I definitely made money on the house and I think it was a very good investment. Ridewood park is a great neighborhood, close to everything and has good community involvement.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:49 PM

Thanks guys!

Old 07-01-2015, 04:44 PM

74 posts, read 62,550 times
Rogers is going to be one of the new DISD choice schools this fall, offering personalised learning Public School Choice / Personalized Learning

Old 07-02-2015, 10:51 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,806,429 times
Ridgewood Park named one of the next hot neighborhoods by D Magazine: The Next Hot Dallas Neighborhoods - D Magazine

Old 07-02-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Ridgewood Park named one of the next hot neighborhoods by D Magazine: The Next Hot Dallas Neighborhoods - D Magazine

Oooh interesting.........

Old 08-09-2015, 11:48 PM

Bumping again

The more we house hunt, the more we do like this area. Get a nice value for your $ and it's not like Dan D Rogers Elementary is a terrible school. (it just isn't Lakewood or Stonewall Jackson of course)

I like being off 75 and close to Greenville, Knox Henderson and Northpark Mall and still being able to get back into Uptown pretty easily.

Haven't had any luck within our budget with M Streets. Anything that does pop up is definitely not up to our standards at least. Same goes with houses zoned to Lakewood. Crazy what you pay for just to get into that school!

Old 08-10-2015, 01:42 AM

1,622 posts, read 3,887,622 times
Dan D Rogers is actually a pretty good school, with a good concentration middle class families for DISD. It also feeds into Franklin, which has higher test scores than Long and which is implementing IB, and then Hillcrest, which is also adding in an IB program. It's a bit of a drive to the middle and high schools, though.

It's possible that IB could make those schools very desirable in 12+ years when your kids are of secondary school age.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 1,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyATMcandy View Post
Bumping again

The more we house hunt, the more we do like this area. Get a nice value for your $ and it's not like Dan D Rogers Elementary is a terrible school. (it just isn't Lakewood or Stonewall Jackson of course)

I like being off 75 and close to Greenville, Knox Henderson and Northpark Mall and still being able to get back into Uptown pretty easily.

Haven't had any luck within our budget with M Streets. Anything that does pop up is definitely not up to our standards at least. Same goes with houses zoned to Lakewood. Crazy what you pay for just to get into that school!
Our experience exactly, and our budget is only slightly larger!

Still on the hunt for the right house, but Stonewall and Lakewood zones are limited, competitive, and continually increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas