U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:11 PM

1,855 posts, read 5,672,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye15 View Post
hi all
been reading some stuff related to snakes around the dallas area
is it pretty common for snakes in backyards etc? is there any danger? Are they poisonous etc?

What about other "yucky" things like scorpions/fireants?

Never had any experiece with such in the midwest. I am trying to put my mind to ease in terms of moving to Dallas.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks
snakes in metro dallas-scorpions.jpg

This was in Frisco just last month during a new home phase inspection I was doing. While lifting up the black poly flashing at the foundation brick ledge there they were. We do have scorpions but typically not poisonous ones (these were not poisonous). However they can still cause significant problems for small children, the elderly, and those with special medical issues.

For dangerous/poisonous snakes we do have Western Cottonmouth, Copperhead, and the rare sighting in out area (Dallas and East) of rattlesnakes.

Our biggest issue here though are the fire ants! If you've ever been tagged by a pile of these you'll never forget it and it only takes once to learn a lesson!! For healthy people fire ants are typically more a pain than anything when they hit you. Just like any stinging or biting pest though they can cause issues for small children, the elderly, and those with allergies/medical conditions.

For other issues we do have some nasty hornets, wasps, and some bee types that you sure don't want to bump their nests as they will swarm and let you know you did!!

Also a lot of people are not aware that alligators are indigenous to North Texas and we do have those in our area albeit not a major number of them.

Of course you can go to just about anywhere in the country and encounter potential threats of many different types. I wouldn't worry about any of it and just learn to use caution and make sure you don't keep habitats up for these pests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 617 times
I think that the majority of people who haven't seen snakes don't go outdoors much. I spend a lot of time outside; I live on a greenbelt in Garland - I get copperheads (poisonous), rat snakes and others on my property regularly. I was walking my dog 2 nights ago and almost stepped on a copperhead in my alley. Yes, fire ants can be dangerous too - they have an awful bite. When I was a kid there were scorpions in the area, but I don't see them anymore. Really, a bigger danger is Lyme disease - spread by ticks, mosquitos, fleas and chiggers (all of which live here in abundance).

Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 PM

57 posts, read 68,268 times
I almost drove over a six-foot diamondback water snake in the alley behind the condo. I left him alone, and about two weeks later a neighbor had one of the landscapers kill it. I live in the Richardson Peninsula.

I don't like them, but we had an abundance of rabbits this year that the snake was going to feast on.

A colleague who lives out off Murphy Road has probably seen 5 snakes this year, one in the back of his truck.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamondback_Water_Snake

Old 07-09-2015, 12:04 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,179,434 times
I moved from the midwest. I have to say the spiders here are a lot scarier than the ones back in the midwest. A lot bigger. I have yet to see a snake but I do not spend much time in the yard. We have had pest control come out for a few wasp nests. Pest control also says we have a black widow living by the fences in our yard and they haven't been able to catch it and it keeps coming back despite the fact that they spray and brush their webs away. I live in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas