U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:09 AM

120 posts, read 216,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Texas A&M??
If they want to major in Petroleum Engineering...yes. Other Engineering programs may not be at the TOP but they are top 15-ish. As someone who grew up outside of Texas, I always wonder why A&M gets bashed by some...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 01:41 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,571,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper21 View Post
If they want to major in Petroleum Engineering...yes. Other Engineering programs may not be at the TOP but they are top 15-ish. As someone who grew up outside of Texas, I always wonder why A&M gets bashed by some...
Just a regional thing. UT vs. A&M. (spoken as a relo from outside the area).

Old 07-03-2015, 02:03 PM

87 posts, read 85,766 times
Article seems to suggest that whole HPISD is good but all other top districts have one alpha feeder. I don't know why they listed Woodrow Wilson among top schools of DFW. DISD doesn't belong here, unless you are talking selective magnets.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:06 PM

87 posts, read 85,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Just a regional thing. UT vs. A&M. (spoken as a relo from outside the area).
That too and the fact the percentage of WW students getting into good school is negligible so A&M is a top school for their standards.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:27 PM

11,681 posts, read 21,268,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian2 View Post
Article seems to suggest that whole HPISD is good but all other top districts have one alpha feeder. I don't know why they listed Woodrow Wilson among top schools of DFW. DISD doesn't belong here, unless you are talking selective magnets.
The article was hilighting the top public feeder in each of the following cities: Plano, Richardson, Southlake, and Dallas. It was not saying that Woodrow is a top 4 HS/feeder in DFW, but rather the top feeder in the city of Dallas (it is D Mag, afterall).

Old 07-03-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian2 View Post
That too and the fact the percentage of WW students getting into good school is negligible so A&M is a top school for their standards.
Very true. Out of 323 seniors in Woodrow's class of 2015, only 10 acceptances to Top 50 schools (and some LF those 10 could have been to 1 student). And only 197 college acceptances listed which sounds like almost 1/3 of the class isn't college bound??

Woodrow Wilson High School :: DELETE - College Acceptance & Scholarships

Old 07-03-2015, 04:41 PM

3,132 posts, read 1,736,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Very true. Out of 323 seniors in Woodrow's class of 2015, only 10 acceptances to Top 50 schools (and some LF those 10 could have been to 1 student). And only 197 college acceptances listed which sounds like almost 1/3 of the class isn't college bound??

I don't necessarily think 1/3 of a high school's graduating class not being college is a bad thing at all. I think too many teens are being sent to college. Many will flunk out or graduate with degrees that are not useful in the economy, and that's what leads to the college educated barista at the coffee house with too much debt, a huge problem in our economy. I think there should be more of an emphasis on the trade school route instead of traditional university.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I don't necessarily think 1/3 of a high school's graduating class not being college is a bad thing at all. I think too many teens are being sent to college. Many will flunk out or graduate with degrees that are not useful in the economy, and that's what leads to the college educated barista at the coffee house with too much debt, a huge problem in our economy. I think there should be more of an emphasis on the trade school route instead of traditional university.
I hear you with regard to the foolishness of getting a $200k undergrad degree in gender studies without any thought as to what income potential is in that field....I'm a big believer in not taking out more student loans than one's expected 1st year salary in order to keep debt manageable.

BUT- the reality is we live in an economy where jobs that require brain power are stable/lucrative and jobs that require manpower are increasingly becoming automated. If a particular high school is touted as "the best", I expect their STEM students to become the ones with engineering degrees who are designing cars, not fixing them.....

I'm not surprised that 1/3 of Woodrow's students aren't college bound, considering only about 80% of the 9th graders at the school actually graduate.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:58 AM

3,132 posts, read 1,736,245 times
Quote:
I hear you with regard to the foolishness of getting a $200k undergrad degree in gender studies without any thought as to what income potential is in that field....I'm a big believer in not taking out more student loans than one's expected 1st year salary in order to keep debt manageable.

BUT- the reality is we live in an economy where jobs that require brain power are stable/lucrative and jobs that require manpower are increasingly becoming automated. If a particular high school is touted as "the best", I expect their STEM students to become the ones with engineering degrees who are designing cars, not fixing them.....
Your expectations out of a high school touted as "the best" are reasonable.

STEM students should be designing cars rather than fixing them. However, emphasizing the trade school route for those who are not necessarily STEM material is a good thing. The auto mechanic career path is a pretty decent one. Some top flight mechanics on luxury brands make some real good money.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:01 PM

74 posts, read 62,550 times
Quote:

I don't think that site has been updated. The scholarship total is over $7,000,000.

According to WWHS Principal Richardson last month, there are 134 going to four year schools, 165 going to two year schools and 20 going into the military. Woodrow has a respected ROTC program with a long history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or