Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:21 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
I hope there are considering building more freeways...the traffic jams will be of epic proportions...they are horrible now. It took me an hour in the morning from Stone Brook Parkway to Spring Valley....and that was leaving the house at 640AM. Getting home is almost 2 hours. Less than 20 miles each way.
Was that 2-hours on foot? Or maybe 2-hours by car via Gainesville? Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 09:38 PM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch526 View Post
I think you're getting Parkwood confused with the DNT. The $5B Mile includes the Cowboys and Frisco Station
My mistake. I just paid attention to Parkwood because I lived on Parkwood at the time, and I rarely go west of the DNT, so I didn't realize it straddled the DNT, in which case it was more than a mile.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:07 AM

45 posts, read 72,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
The $5 billion dollar mile took off quicker, as much as I hate to say this, because of mini Jerry world. Most of this was in planning stages prior, Frisco didn't go after Nebraska Furniture Mart so they could get Jerry. Seems to be paying off, by the way, all of these developments are dense. So if you want dense development, here it is, it's just not in downtown Dallas. I do agree with the interminable spread of city into the prairie though. With Celina staged to be the next Frisco, I'm afraid that the trend will continue.
Can we really call Frisco or even Plano "the city" yet? Not slamming them but they are suburbs, not cities. Collin County is still absolutely anchored to Dallas in terms of economy and culture. It's hard to see that changing anytime soon.

The suburbs' inexorable march to the north shows no sign of slowing, though. If the economy stays strong I would expect contiguous development all the way to Sherman within 20 years.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:22 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
The suburbs' inexorable march to the north shows no sign of slowing, though. If the economy stays strong I would expect contiguous development all the way to Sherman within 20 years.
Awful. Development should be infill first before tearing up more pristine land. The land footprint of DFW is already big enough. I'd much rather see the areas south of the city get fixed that new land get bulldozed.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:51 AM

45 posts, read 72,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Awful. Development should be infill first before tearing up more pristine land. The land footprint of DFW is already big enough. I'd much rather see the areas south of the city get fixed that new land get bulldozed.
I agree, but the (mostly) wealthy suburbanites don't want to live anywhere that might be called 'South Dallas.' Collin County is fast-growing and extremely rich, so it must be doing something right. Grayson County - currently quite poor - could be next.

Ellis County and even Best Southwest are still growing but the northern parts of the metroplex are growing their all-important tax bases and infrastructure much quicker. That's going to spur further growth - and further sprawl.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:55 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
Quote:
Until the school situation changes you can wish and want all day long.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:05 AM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
I would't call Plano or Frisco "The City", but the earlier post meant "sprawl" which always starts from some city. Dallas itself is quite suburban, but does have a city core, plus some densification-after-the-fact, which is a recent trend of building apartments on main streets where run-down commercial and industrial once existed.

Plano has become a large employment center, which has more to do with CoCo growth then just people not wanting to live in South Dallas. McKinney is the county seat, so county workers, including judges and prosecuting attorneys, need to live in that area to service the remaining CoCo county population

Plano, Richardson, and Frisco are accommodating the new pattern of housing consumption which allows them to support their employment bases.

The population of earth is expanding, and not everyone wants to expand vertically. Population growth takes pristine land, not endless 100 story apartment buildings within walking distance of Dallas City Hall.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:39 AM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times
Quote:
But reality check .....nobody wants to go to work and even less move south of Dallas. The northern suburbs are the most attractive and developed at this point.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:40 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
I agree, but the (mostly) wealthy suburbanites don't want to live anywhere that might be called 'South Dallas.' Collin County is fast-growing and extremely rich, so it must be doing something right. Grayson County - currently quite poor - could be next.

Ellis County and even Best Southwest are still growing but the northern parts of the metroplex are growing their all-important tax bases and infrastructure much quicker. That's going to spur further growth - and further sprawl.
In practical terms, you are correct. Trying to sell out of state transplants on the idea of moving to an older neighborhood in the Central Dallas corridor isn’t easy. The out of state transplants that seem most attracted to Central Dallas neighborhoods (between Downtown and South of 635) are recent college graduates looking to Dallas as a place to build their careers and to date.

Nothing south of Downtown is all that appealing right now. But things can change. 20 years ago, Uptown Dallas was ghetto and now it is a very desirable place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Until the school situation changes you can wish and want all day long.
As a non-parent, it is challenging to identify with this. But you are correct. The endless discussions on this board about school districts serve as testament to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
The population of earth is expanding, and not everyone wants to expand vertically. Population growth takes pristine land, not endless 100 story apartment buildings within walking distance of Dallas City Hall.
Not everyone wants to expand vertically, but I think it is the better idea.

We are actually fortunate in DFW to have a situation where people want to live here, and we’re not a place in the Rust Belt that is withering away. Balancing population growth with environmental factors is a huge challenge.

I’ve been anti-tearing up land since living in Arizona. When I was in Arizona, I saw endless miles of desert being torn up to create a city (Phoenix) that couldn’t support the growth. Phoenix didn’t (and doesn’t) have the economic base to support the population growth that it has experienced in recent decades. In Dallas, we are fortunate to have a good base of Fortune 500 companies and a more pro-business atmosphere than Phoenix has. This metro area has to be cognizant of water issues, not unlike Phoenix. This has been a good year for water with all the rain, but some of the events of recent years should have shown the importance of hydrology issues in the region.

There’s a need for economic prosperity, but it should be sustainable and efficient. I don’t see suburban sprawl in areas like Frisco to be the best evidence of efficient land use. Frisco had a population of 6,000 in 1990 and it is around 145,000 now. McKinney’s had a lot of growth too.

I also do not think the Cowboys needed a new practice facility. There should have been $0 public going to it. The Cowboys should have either privately rehabbed Valley Ranch in Irving, which has been around for 30 years, or maybe built a new one in the whole new stadium deal.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:47 AM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times
Quote:

I also do not think the Cowboys needed a new practice facility. There should have been $0 public going to it. The Cowboys should have either privately rehabbed Valley Ranch in Irving, which has been around for 30 years, or maybe built a new one in the whole new stadium deal.
GJ wanted to expend the business, the Cowboys needed a new practice stadium and Frisco ISD was in a high need for a new stadium as the Toyota stadium cannot provide enough room for 8 football varsity teams high schools , it was a win win for everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: