U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:23 PM

643 posts, read 568,023 times

Advertisements

Ah... I am not very good at East and West! 81 it is for me!

Left and right is what works for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 01:45 PM

166 posts, read 174,856 times
Personally I find this the single most annoying thing about residing in Richardson. I'm really not sure why they can't have trash bins like any other city. Managing our trash between pickup days can be smelly and/or dirty. Even if we use our own bin (which we have), the bags have to be transferred back out of the bin and onto the ground in the alley every Tuesday/Friday.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm glad this is the biggest complaint I have about the city where I've made my home - but hopefully someday they revisit this and join the rest of the civilized world in providing bins.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:59 PM

Well I guess those automated trucks with lifters are expensive. City does not want to spend cash on it. I think!!

Old 07-06-2015, 02:03 PM

23,627 posts, read 31,274,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingInRichardson View Post
Personally I find this the single most annoying thing about residing in Richardson. I'm really not sure why they can't have trash bins like any other city. Managing our trash between pickup days can be smelly and/or dirty. Even if we use our own bin (which we have), the bags have to be transferred back out of the bin and onto the ground in the alley every Tuesday/Friday.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm glad this is the biggest complaint I have about the city where I've made my home - but hopefully someday they revisit this and join the rest of the civilized world in providing bins.
That question has been asked and answered countless times over the years.

If you e-mail your city council representative or call the city, you can ask them yourself. I've always found the city (and the council) to be friendly and responsive.

The answer I always got was that since the city has a lot of older properties with narrow alleys, they do not use bins because those alleys are not wide enough to accommodate those trucks (and the bins themselves) without potentially damaging the trucks, the bins, or property owners' fences/trees.

Obviously, they'd also have to buy all new trucks and the bins themselves, since I doubt residents would be willing to buy them. I certainly wouldn't. That's expensive, and the city has better things to spend its money on (IMHO) like street resurfacing, sewer main replacements, pothole repairs, etc.

There's a Facebook page called "Richardson Politics" where they're discussing that very same issue as we speak. Feel free to join. Seems mostly to be a collection of tin foil hat-wearing conspiracy theorists and people complaining about the school board, but occasionally other topics come up.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:18 PM

Ah potholes. Glenville Dr feels like driving on an off road track! Its horrible. Hope they get that fixed.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
Ah potholes. Glenville Dr feels like driving on an off road track! Its horrible. Hope they get that fixed.
I don't know whether it's slated to be fixed anytime soon or not; if it's part of a bond then you'll be able to look that up on the city's website.

I do know that my street was finally...FINALLY...resurfaced this year. We waited six years. They also re-did the sidewalks. They did an amazing fantastic job. The street was so bad before that it destroyed my car's suspension (which also proves what crappy cars Hyundai makes).

If you call the city or e-mail your council member, they'll be able to tell you whether Glenville is going to be resurfaced and if so, where it falls on the schedule. Due to all the flooding we had earlier in the year, they're behind schedule on 2015's work.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-06-2015, 03:35 PM

I initially was taking that road to get to home because of empty roads and less signals. Now i take Plano Rd. More traffic but saves the car! I have Nissan. My suspension is getting soft, don't want to ruin it any further.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:58 PM

3,538 posts, read 6,976,934 times
Can I ask how much trash service is in Richardson? Y'all get twice a week pick up, bags only right? unlimited? What about recycling - how big are those containers and how often?

In Murphy we pay $13.25 for one 96 gal trash and one 96 gal recycling. But you can also put up to 4 cu yards of trash next to the can to be picked up as well. Once a week on both.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:58 PM

I am new to Richardson so cant really say. But i think i read two times a week and its free!

Old 07-07-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Can I ask how much trash service is in Richardson? Y'all get twice a week pick up, bags only right? unlimited? What about recycling - how big are those containers and how often?

In Murphy we pay $13.25 for one 96 gal trash and one 96 gal recycling. But you can also put up to 4 cu yards of trash next to the can to be picked up as well. Once a week on both.
Google is your friend!

https://www.cor.net/index.aspx?page=1635

According to this, it's $18 a month for twice weekly trash pickup, once weekly recycling pickup, and weekly brush/bulky item service (on request). No limits to the amount of trash they'll pick up as long as it's all put in the right place.

They do have restrictions on what bulky items they'll collect (no concrete/big rocks, no rebar, no windows, etc) but for the most part you can put just about anything out there. It's awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or