U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:09 AM

643 posts, read 564,786 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Moved to a house in Richardson. Having some trouble with the trash. The City guidelines state that, "Richardson is a bag city" and the guide sates:

"In most cases, the trash is collected in the alley behind the home where the property line meets the alley. The primary exception to that method is on streets with unpaved alleys. For homes on these streets, collection occurs at the front curb. In front curb collection, bags should be set out on the parkway (the grassy area between the sidewalk and the curb). City Solid Waste crews will only collect bagged trash and/or 1 cubic foot of loose trash, such as twigs or small appliance boxes, that is easily accessible. The City of Richardson does not use any type of receptacle and crews do not retrieve bagged trash out of them."

Now my collection day is Monday/Thursday. I put out the trash last night at the specified location (back of the garage). Today morning i woke up and saw the bag still lying there. Its noon now... I don't think the truck would come around this late. Confused about what to do! Do i have to register or something?? In this respect, i would say Garland was better. No bags, no hassle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:16 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Probably running late. Is everyone else's out there as well?

Old 07-06-2015, 11:17 AM

I don't know... I hope so. By this Thursday it gonna stink like crazy!

But let me go out and check

Old 07-06-2015, 11:19 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Call the department that collects the trash or the company and ask them specifically the days they pick up and exactly where you are supposed to put the trash.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:25 AM

Ah! They were late. Just went out and saw the guy working the alley and my bag is gone! Thanks!

Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Call the department that collects the trash or the company and ask them specifically the days they pick up and exactly where you are supposed to put the trash.
^^^ This.

Community services in Richardson is usually pretty responsive and usually friendly as well.

If you do get a nastygram from the city about your trash (not likely unless someone reports it) they will most likely be very accommodating if you explain the situation to them, i.e. you're a new resident and weren't quite sure where to put your trash. They almost never fine on the first offense, or they give you plenty of time to mitigate.

And yes, sometimes trucks do run late. My trash truck used to come at 7am on the DOT Mondays and Thursdays. Now, it's sometimes 12-1pm when it comes. Recycling almost always comes after the trash truck. The bulk trash pickup truck used to always come early in the morning...now sometimes it's 4-5pm, sometimes 8-9am. Doesn't really matter. The only time I notice when the trucks come is if I'm working from home. Otherwise, the trash is out there when I leave in the morning and gone when I get home in the afternoon.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:30 AM

This is my first experience with bag with "color codes". I used Walmart, tom thumb grocery bags to dump my trash in the bin when I was in Garland. I wish Richardson had that service too. Saves a lot of plastic if you ask me! Being a single guy, I don't generate too much trash to begin with.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
This is my first experience with bag with "color codes". I used Walmart, tom thumb grocery bags to dump my trash in the bin when I was in Garland. I wish Richardson had that service too. Saves a lot of plastic if you ask me! Being a single guy, I don't generate too much trash to begin with.
The city says it wants your household refuse in black plastic bags but I've been using white 13 gallon kitchen bags for six years and have never had a problem. As long as the bags aren't too heavy and stuff isn't falling out of them, the trash men don't really seem to care.

They DO want you to use those blue plastic bags for single-stream recycling but once a year they send a letter to all Richardson residents that you can redeem for a year's worth of those blue bags. Plus they have at least a couple of events every year where they give those bags away (first come, first served). You'll be getting a free newspaper in the mail periodically and they do advertise those events in the paper. I believe it's called "Richardson Today." It's definitely worth reading.

You can buy the blue bags at city hall or at the Heights Park Rec Center's (on the south side of Arapaho between West Shore and Floyd) front desk. I'm assuming since your trash days are Monday/Thursday, you're west of 75 so that's the closest rec center to you (I think). The city's website will tell you all the places where you can get those blue plastic bags. I remember when I set up my water service (had to do it in person), they gave me some blue bags for free. I rarely pay for them.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:54 AM

Yeah Belt Line/Plano. That's where I am! The nearest one is just 3.5 miles. I will get one sometime this weekend. As of now, there is nothing i can think of is recycle stuff!

Old 07-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
Yeah Belt Line/Plano. That's where I am! The nearest one is just 3.5 miles. I will get one sometime this weekend. As of now, there is nothing i can think of is recycle stuff!
I'm sure it'll be fine, no need to worry.

Belt Line/Plano sounds like east Richardson 75081, which means you'd probably have the same pickup days but your recycling would be on Thursday instead of Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or