Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 7,411 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move from Chicago to Dallas for good weather, schools and housing in decent price. Me and my wife like to have friends and leave a balanced social life. I am looking at Plano, TX and house prices and schools are looking great. We will be leaving all our friends here and will need to make new ones there. I was wondering if someone can share followings:
1. how is the gujarati community in Plano
2. Why house prices are cheap with good schools and weather
3. Looking at zillow, most of the school ratings are 9-10, is that dependable

Thanks,

Nirav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 04:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Be aware that school districts do NOT follow city or county lines. Texas has independent school districts (ISDs). Schools can affect price & resale so it matters, even if you don't have kids.

Tell people the genearly job location and price range so they can help you better.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
The Gujarati community is HUGE. There are tons of Gujarati restaurants to boot.

Prices are cheap because the word cheap is relative. If you come from a coast or Chicago, Plano will seem cheap.

The schools in Plano are excellent. That said, bear in mind some parts of Plano are not Plano ISD.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:36 PM

63 posts, read 80,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahnirav77 View Post
We are planning to move from Chicago to Dallas for good weather, schools and housing in decent price. Me and my wife like to have friends and leave a balanced social life. I am looking at Plano, TX and house prices and schools are looking great. We will be leaving all our friends here and will need to make new ones there. I was wondering if someone can share followings:
1. how is the gujarati community in Plano
2. Why house prices are cheap with good schools and weather
3. Looking at zillow, most of the school ratings are 9-10, is that dependable

Thanks,

Nirav
Last year I was in exact same situation as yours and we made a move 6 months ago, so far we are happy with the decision and many friends who i know made similar moves are also satisfied. Don't worry you will have lots of opportunities to make like minded friends here.

1. how is the gujarati community in Plano: There are many Gujjus in Plano but overall its different then Des Plaines or Schaumburg of Chicago, In Plano you will find mostly IT folks whereas non IT folks IMO prefer Valley Ranch Irving area, this is just general observation. In both areas there are many many south Indian people vs gujjus.
2. Why house prices are cheap with good schools and weather: It is cheap compare to chicago but not super cheap anymore. Keep in mind that due to so called low cost of living in DFW region , there is considerable difference in salaries between IL and TX, something to keep in mind if you are considering switching job.
3. Looking at zillow, most of the school ratings are 9-10, is that dependable:Plano ISD is exemplary SD, so you have correct information.

Again, we have been here only for 6 months so please take my opinion accordingly.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 7,411 times
Thanks for all the feedback. I also like outdoor activities, that's another thing we miss here except for summer. I heard Plano is flat compare that Austin (another option we are looking at). Another thing we miss here in chicago is the various Indian festivals. Are various Indian festivals celebrated in Plano?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 PM

63 posts, read 80,570 times
AFAIK there are major events/festival celebrations, get togethers planned throughout the year through various temples and 'samajs' etc.You can visit funasia.net for some more info., Funasia is Indian FM station in DFW, they have a movieplex in Richardson (few miles from Plano ) and they also organize lots of events.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
There are a ton of Indian events in North Texas.

But, in terms of outdoor activities and landscape, Austin is better than North Texas, especially Plano which is flatter than other parts of the Metroplex.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahnirav77 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I also like outdoor activities, that's another thing we miss here except for summer. I heard Plano is flat compare that Austin (another option we are looking at). Another thing we miss here in chicago is the various Indian festivals. Are various Indian festivals celebrated in Plano?
There are tons of Indian festivals in the DFW area. You don't need to worry about that.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:41 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Although I am not Indian myself, I did move from Chicago to Dallas (Richardson) about 3 years ago, and it was one of the best moves I ever made. Better cost of living, better weather, better for family and raising kids. I work with many really great people who are from India here in this area.

Also, like someone else mentioned, yes the cost of living is lower, but salaries are lower than Chicago as well, but it depends on what job role you are in. If you are I.T. (which I am), then it depends on which IT role you specialize in. Some roles are paying less than in Chicago, some are paying around the same.

Also, you mentioned Austin. Yes, Dallas is a mostly flat prairie region. In many ways, Plano is like a sunny, warm version of DuPage County or DesPlaines area. Austin has better landscape (more hills, even sunnier/hotter weather) and has a more 'exciting' cultural presence (although the culture seems to cater more to younger people - college age, single, etc). And, Austin housing is more expensive than Dallas (but still cheaper than Chicago).

Old 02-16-2015, 10:49 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Lots of Chicago expats on this board, I'm yet another. I often think "Naperville" when I think of Plano. Can't help you regarding various Indian communities (I'm a generic European mutt white boy married to a very Greek woman, my best Indian friend lives 1,500 miles away) other than to say that DFW in general seems to have a sizable Indian population. DFW is cheaper than Chi housing wise, but more expensive in some other ways. Yes, Plano is flat. Much of DFW is flat, just like most of Chicago.

DFW is hot in the summer but less humid than Chicago, so the summers are rough but 95 degrees here is not nearly as bad as 95 in Chi. Problem is it can hit 105 or even higher in the summers here. Prepare to run the AC All.The.Time. Plano schools, as noted are superb, might be the best "pound-for-pound" in DFW. Oh, much like Chicagoland is the name for the metro area there, "The Metroplex" is the name for the entire area here.

Property taxes are roughly the same rate here as there. No state income tax, which everyone notes. Homeowner's insurance is bloody awful down here (ours had an effective rate about twice what it was up there). I'm not as impressed with ethnic grocery choices or restaurants compared to Chi. Can't speak specifically to Indian cuisine (much less that of a specific region) however.

In general, DFW is much like the "land beyond O'Hare", the generica of the western 'burbs (Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, etc.) only more recent (so maybe more like Plainfield and Lockport to the SW, and of course Naperville). That has both good and bad bits.

DFW in general seems to be a lot more fixated on "social class" (that whole "keeping up with the Joneses" thing) than Chicago.

There's lots of other subtle differences. And DFW has a much different vibe than Austin, which is much more Indie-rock, Whole Foods, etc.

Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas