U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 02:00 AM

10 posts, read 8,889 times

Advertisements

So I am after advice and "on the ground" views and experiences of elementary schools in Flower Mound. I have done research on Great Schools and Schooldigger so I know info on the stats and performance but in my experience that does not give you the whole or real picture of how a school really feels and is.

We are looking at rental properties and have seen several across Flower Mound but obviously there is a number of different elementary schools and there isn't masses of difference in their scores and stats. At the moment just purely from what we have seen we like Garden Ridge, Prairie Trail, Old Settlers, Flower Mound and Timber Creek. I have seen several homes zoned to Forest Vista and would be grateful for any views on that as there were some negative comments on greatschools but am really conscious that could just be a couple of aggrieved parents and not at all representative of how the school is. I am discounting Wellington as although I see it has a great reputation it is a bit too large for my liking (my son is currently in a really small village school so I would prefer to keep the school a bit smaller although I appreciate any school is going to be bigger than his current one and there will need to be a transition for him).

In terms of what I would ideally like in a school, clearly what good academic level especially with maths reading and writing (and from what I see I will get that in all FM schools) but I also want a nurturing environment and for my kids to be developed socially especially in terms of respecting others and different cultures. I like a school that has a community feel and focus and a friendly atmosphere. So I am not solely about academic performance. I also don't want a school that is ridiculously strict ot unfriendly.

And just in case it matters or is of relevance we are relocating from the UK and currently my son goes to a Church school. We picked that school because of the values and ethos it has on learning in a nurturing and caring environment and its focus on the local community. We know schools in Dallas will be really differentbut again want one which has the good ethos and feel. We will of course visit schools (and plan to do so in a couple of weeks) but any views in advance would be really helpful.

So any views would be really appreciated. Thank you so much lovely people

Last edited by Ajmtc; 07-07-2015 at 02:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 08:39 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,743,243 times
What's your rental budget? The school your son goes to will be determined by where you rent a house or an apartment. All Flower Mound schools are fairly good to excellent, but the price of a rental in an area zoned to Timber Creek will be different than the price of a rental in an area zoned to Old Settlers. That may help narrow your choices.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 AM

Rental budget is between $2000 - 2500 (ideally at $2k but could go up to $2.5 for right house/area/school etc). Thanks

Old 07-07-2015, 09:45 AM

81 posts, read 101,618 times
First of all, most of the elementary schools in Flower Mound are excellent and what schools you will you zoned to will depend on your rental budget. That being said, Timber Creek would not be my top choice and I agree with you on Wellington, way too big. My kids go to Bridlewood which I highly recommend but we also spent 2 years at Forest Vista. I would put Forest Vista also at the top of the list. Great Schools is not a good indicator of if a school is good or not. I can assure you it is. We just moved for a larger house, yard, etc. We loved being at Forest Vista. The principal at Forest Vista is great and so are the teachers. You would be very happy with that choice.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:11 AM

Thanks for that feedback really useful.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:09 AM

302 posts, read 457,761 times
My child started at Old Settler's for Kindergarten and it wasn't the best experience for him. We moved to a new house and ended up in the Flower Mound Elementary zone. He just finished his fourth year there and we love it. It's a smaller school with a very tight knit school community. The teachers and administrators are great. It's pretty diverse for being in Flower Mound. The Flower Mound schools are part of Lewisville Independent School District (LISD). Overall it's a good district. Contact Mrs. Eatwell who is the school counselor at Flower Mound Elementary to see about visiting the school for a brief tour. We did that before buying our house and she was very helpful.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:27 AM

Great thanks PrincessKick, so so helpful to have on the ground advice. Really appreciate it

Old 07-08-2015, 08:18 PM

149 posts, read 198,906 times
How do you all feel about Bluebonnet Elementary?

Old 07-08-2015, 08:51 PM

81 posts, read 101,618 times
Bluebonnet is an excellent school. I have many friends with kids who go there and I know a couple of people who teach there. It is also one of the better ones in Flower Mound.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:23 AM

149 posts, read 198,906 times
Thanks Morgan !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or