U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,544,645 times

Advertisements

Asking for DD, she is 13 and wants to start babysitting. What is the average for a young teenager in the area. We used to pay $10, she thinks it's too much. Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:21 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,012,632 times
My daughter is about the same age and makes between $8 and $10/hour.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:44 AM

578 posts, read 1,210,535 times
My daughter started around 12 as a mother's helper making $5-7/hour. When she started babysitting at 13 without the mom there she got paid anywhere from $5-10/hour depending what it entailed (i.e. if kids were already sleeping in bed during her time there, or if it was in the daytime where she had to play with them). She is now almost 17 and CPR/1st Aid certified. Makes $15-20/hour in our neck of the woods.

I have to add that these are not rates she came up with herself. I don't think anyone has ever asked her how much she charges; they pay what they feel is appropriate. The first time she made $20/hour I almost made her return part of the money since the bulk of the hours were when the kids were sleeping. But then I asked around and was told that some people like to be on the generous side so that the sitter is more inclined to say yes whenever they ask.

Last edited by mami2emily; 07-08-2015 at 06:53 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 07:18 AM

517 posts, read 767,444 times
Babysitting rates are crazy high nowadays. While we don't use a sitter as young as your daughter we usually pay between 12-15 an hour.

Examples:
We have an adult lady, who is a nanny during the day, that we pay $15/hr.
The high school girl we use sometimes we pay $12/hr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
I have to add that these are not rates she came up with herself. I don't think anyone has ever asked her how much she charges; they pay what they feel is appropriate. The first time she made $20/hour I almost made her return part of the money since the bulk of the hours were when the kids were sleeping. But then I asked around and was told that some people like to be on the generous side so that the sitter is more inclined to say yes whenever they ask.
It's very awkward when a new babysitter doesn't quote a rate. We always end up paying too much because we feel guilty. (so I guess it's a good strategy) On one hand if they take good care of you kids, you trust them and can relax while you're out then that's money well spent. On the other hand you just paid a 15 year old kid $60-$80 to hang out watch your premium cable most of the time.

The problem is if we pay a sitter say $20 the first time it kind of sets a president. Then you feel like you have to pay that every time. Sometimes we don't call a babysitter again because we paid too much the first time.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:25 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,386,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
Babysitting rates are crazy high nowadays. While we don't use a sitter as young as your daughter we usually pay between 12-15 an hour.

Examples:
We have an adult lady, who is a nanny during the day, that we pay $15/hr.
The high school girl we use sometimes we pay $12/hr

It's very awkward when a new babysitter doesn't quote a rate. We always end up paying too much because we feel guilty. (so I guess it's a good strategy) On one hand if they take good care of you kids, you trust them and can relax while you're out then that's money well spent. On the other hand you just paid a 15 year old kid $60-$80 to hang out watch your premium cable most of the time.

The problem is if we pay a sitter say $20 the first time it kind of sets a president. Then you feel like you have to pay that every time. Sometimes we don't call a babysitter again because we paid too much the first time.
I think it also depends on the number of kids and their ages. A one 11 year old studious girl being baby sat is probably going to pull a cheaper rate than 2 toddlers.

IF we were to use baby sitters, I wouldn't mind paying $20 an hour for someone I trust with my kids in my home.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:58 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,157,568 times
We originally offered to pay our sitter $15/hr and she told us $10/hr was fine since 80% of her stay at our house would be when our daughter was sleeping. However, she is one of the teachers at my daughter's daycare and loves my daughter, so I think she gave us a bit of a discount. She's probably 19 or 20.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:42 PM

578 posts, read 1,210,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post

Imagine how much more awkward it is for a teen sitter to tell a family what they should pay! My daughter babysits not for the money, but because she truly enjoys playing with kids. Hopes to work with young kids in the future. She says any amount of $ she gets paid is more than she would make staying home.

Word of mouth keeps her in high demand. And in almost 4 years of babysitting no one has ever asked her what her rate is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I think it also depends on the number of kids and their ages. A one 11 year old studious girl being baby sat is probably going to pull a cheaper rate than 2 toddlers.
True. In our experience most families she sits for take all those things into consideration before giving her money at the end of the night. Although there is the occasional $10/hour for 3 kids or the occasional $20/hour for 1 kid, most of the time my daughter feels what she received was a fair rate for what she had to do.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:02 PM

902 posts, read 892,342 times
*precedent not president

I pay my part time "nanny" babysitter (24 yrs old, has a car, CPR/lifeguard) who takes care of my boys when I am working $12/hr. She is committed to me M and Th all summer and was very flexible to add/subtract days for when I had to fill in or had scheduled all day camps for them. I pay my date night babysitter (14 yrs old, lives down the street, Red Cross babysitting course certified, very mature, know her parents) $10/hr. My boys love them both and I agree- you pay them top dollar for availability. I stayed busy in my high school years as a babysitter and also worked as a nanny during college- and I know what makes it a good night or a bad night. I make sure they have snacks, drinks, wifi/tv for after my boys are in bed, and an empty dishwasher for easy clean up.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 AM

15 posts, read 14,173 times
Where is the best place to look for a full-time nanny versus a day care for an infant? Trying to determine if its cost prohibitive to have a live in nanny while at work or going to a day care as well as the pros and cons of each.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 AM

244 posts, read 286,885 times
For a young babysitter (new to the process), we paid ~8 an hour. We justify this with we have to do more pre-work/teaching, we leave a meal, etc. For our regular babysitter who can shuttle the kiddo around, can fix a meal if I forget, knows where everything is, basically, walks in the door and we can kiss and say goodbye, we pay 12 an hour and make a habit of rounding up. We also offer what amounts to double pay for holidays or high demand periods. A good babysitter is worth his or her weight in gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas