U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 09:10 PM

87 posts, read 109,449 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I grew up in Texas and am relocating from the NE with elementary aged children. From a few comments I have heard from some old friends it sounds like times have changed down there (and probably up here too) in regards to kids' sports. I am almost scared to ask this, but I am trying to get the lay of the land. I am 90% sure we will be settling in the Rockwall area. Does anyone have a quick rundown for me on the sports "clubs" or "rec leagues." I have no idea what they call them down there. Up here there is REC and TRAVEL. And my kids just do REC as of now. They play soccer and basketball and baseball...just whatever is in season. Not hard core or super competitive. Just neighborhood organized fun. Is there a good, LOW KEY sporting group in Rockwall area? Does that exist? Like a parks and rec league? I may be asking all the wrong questions. Any input on this topic is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 06:08 AM

58 posts, read 64,850 times
There is a decent following of sports teams at the RISE facility in Rockwall. For a strong rec league in all 3 sports though, your best/closest bet will be to check out Plano Parks/Rec.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:04 AM

I don't necessarily need all three sports. I am just starting with about zero knowledge of the whole system down there because it seems maybe a bit different than where we currently are. What are MOST kids doing in elementary sports? ( I know that isn't really answerable, but is there a general thing lots of people do with kids and sports in that area?)

Old 07-09-2015, 07:17 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,388,872 times
There's going to be a multitude of different "leagues" across north Texas with different levels of competition. It start's usually with YMCA ball, then moves on to chamber, select, etc.

This should help you with soccer: http://www.ntxsoccer.org/administrat...ociations.aspx

Old 07-09-2015, 07:32 AM

Thank you. yes, we don't even have the terms "chamber" or "select." I feel like I'm learning a new language! What "leagues" have chamber and select? Not the Y, right?

Old 07-09-2015, 04:22 PM

766 posts, read 1,302,472 times
RISE offers "competitive" leagues for a variety of sports - meaning you'll pay $70 to $150 per month per sport for each child to participate not including gear and uniforms. Basically, the RISE (Rockwall Indoor Sports Expo) is a Home Base for a variety of sporting clubs (like the Sting Soccer Club).

The Rockwall YMCA offers "rec" leagues. I would also look at Rowlett and Forney for nearby sports leagues (like soccer and baseball). I can't imagine driving 30-45 minutes for a recreation league (like to Plano and all it's crazy traffic), but the Spring Valley Athletic Association in Richardson offers low-key leagues (coming from Sunnyvale we played baseball in the SVAA league, while the other competitive team played in Mesquite). But, we had our practices in Sunnyvale. I'm not sure you want to be driving to Plano for Rec practices several times a week after work.

I would contact the school your children will attend and ask the front desk, or better yet, get in touch with someone from the PTA. They'll probably have an idea which leagues the kids play in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas