Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 03:24 PM

11 posts, read 10,386 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know you get this a million times on these forums, but we're moving and it's hard to find "good" areas via Google! Plus having grown up in a suburb of Los Angeles I know how deceiving looks can be (beautifully renovated homes for 700k+ and they're in some horrible horrible areas), and have no idea how to judge areas I find in Texas!

I was hoping y'all could help me, because locals always know best! Here's some basics >>
- husband and I are 24 + 23 respectively
- we have young kids
- looking for good schools
- parks and safety are both musts
- we're looking to buy
- our budget is about 500-650
- we're thinking suburbs + rural areas, not in the heart of any big cities, but preferably somewhere with a "community" feel to it
- we want more of a conservative + family vibe than an eclectic or hipster one (we are fine with diversity, we're from LA, we just don't want a boho-young-single-person type vibe where we live)
- there's no specific area we're looking for, we just think some of Dallas' suburbs look lovely + have read good things about their schools, but our work is flexible so we aren't tied to anywhere specific

Again, I know y'all get questions like this a lot, so I really do appreciate you taking the time to even read this, and if you respond, we are oh so very greatful.
Thank you!!
xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 04:00 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
There are not many areas in Dallas or it's suburbs that are hipster hangouts. I know you mentioned suburbs, but the things you describe as desirable seem to match up better with some of Dallas's neighborhoods. If you aren't dead set on new construction, then Id certainly give Dallas proper some consideration. In Dallas you'll find a lot of neighborhoods that are suburban in layout, with larger lots, mature trees, a greater sense of community than a lot of the northern suburbs, and closer to a lot more activities. There are several East Dallas neighborhoods with excellent elementary schools, and with your budget you can afford them. Try searching listings in: 75214, 75206, 75243, 75238, 75218

Old 07-16-2015, 04:40 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
There are not many areas in Dallas or it's suburbs that are hipster hangouts. I know you mentioned suburbs, but the things you describe as desirable seem to match up better with some of Dallas's neighborhoods. If you aren't dead set on new construction, then Id certainly give Dallas proper some consideration. In Dallas you'll find a lot of neighborhoods that are suburban in layout, with larger lots, mature trees, a greater sense of community than a lot of the northern suburbs, and closer to a lot more activities. There are several East Dallas neighborhoods with excellent elementary schools, and with your budget you can afford them. Try searching listings in: 75214, 75206, 75243, 75238, 75218
All of this is good & true advice as long as OP is not expecting a brand new 5000sf home for $500-650k. Our city neighborhoods are awesome and highly sought after which usually makes for "sticker shock" with most relocatees who can't imagine spending $500k for a 2500sf home. Try finding that in the Hollywood Hills which is similar to Lakewood as far as distance to downtown and architectural style!

OP, any hopes & dreams about what your home in Dallas will be like?

Aside from a few very small pockets closer into downtown, you'll hardly notice our tiny hipster population. Dallas isn't Brooklyn.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:51 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Are you going to work and if so where? That can make all the difference in make sense areas fitting your goals.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:07 PM

Ronnie >> Definitely don't have our hearts set on construction, we're hoping to find a move-in ready place. I guess I was just projecting my LA expectations with the suburbs haha. Here at least if you live in a nice area of the city (even if it seems suburban) you're usually surrounded on all sides by concrete and gangs, I didn't know if that was how most big cities were. Thanks for those zips, I'll look into them.

Turtle >> HAHA! the reason we want to leave california is because 700k barely gets us 1000sf here! We'd go crazy for a 2500sf We just want it to be in a nice community, but a reasonably sized place for a growing family + out of state family to visit. Besides that, not really!

John >> I work from home + my husband is a crossfit trainer - which I've researched + they seem to be all over the place around the major cities - so we are very flexible. The schools + location are our biggest priority.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Where do 2 early 20 year olds with kids that work from home and one is a personal trainer have that kind of budget!?!?!? Congrats on Yall.

I would go to Plano if I were in your shoes, specifically Plano West Senior high feeder pattern with your budget. You'll get 2000+ sqft updated houses, suburb, neighborhood feel, conservative, great public schools, etc. It literally hits everything on your check list.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:07 PM

Here's an idea of what you can get:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7_M86802-79073

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M89848-56189

Old 07-16-2015, 07:11 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
You need a good RE Agent who can give you a tour around the more popular areas and can educate you on your choices.

We do these things all the time.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:26 PM

Thanks a lot Ben! I'll check it out.

We've been living with my family in LA saving up every dime possible, it hasn't been easy haha that's why we really want to make it count with a real home instead of some closet space out here

Old 07-16-2015, 07:36 PM

I would also give Southlake a good look as well. Plano West and Southlake Carroll are 2 of the top 5 public open enrollment high schools in north Texas.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2_M80545-46052
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas