U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 06:39 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,732,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That sounds like a good plan.

I haven't read the entire thread........is there any known electrical in the wall, a 20 foot wall in most cases will have a plug or two. Also is there either a bathroom or kitchen just below?
There's some electrical. It may pass over a bathroom in spots. Both contractors who've come out to look at it have said they think it was added after the house was built or that it was a builder option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 08:55 AM

7,283 posts, read 8,120,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
There's some electrical. It may pass over a bathroom in spots. Both contractors who've come out to look at it have said they think it was added after the house was built or that it was a builder option.

Unless the contractor can explain in precise detail why the ceiling won't sag I'd lean towards installing some sort of visible beam or a blind beam in the attic if possible.

Let's say your house was built with that wall as a normal option. If so it's quite possible the framers looked at the plans, maybe even on sight, and decided to use 2x8 in stead of 2x10 in the attic just above or whatever. It very well could be that the wall is not truly load bearing in the strict sense but still supports several hundred pounds of continuous load.

I'd be concerned that your wall supports enough load that the ceiling will sag over time if not amended in some way. My guess is forming-up a custom blind beam in the attic out of 2x8 of whatever would make the most sense. But that depends heavily on what's in the attic.

The electrical probably won't be much of a problem although if your electrical features on that wall are towards the middle of a circuit that could pose a bit of an issue. You could trip the associated breaker and find out what all is on that circuit.

At my old house in Plano, built in 1999, the front porch lights, outlets and mailbox light were powered via a circuit that ran through an upstairs bathroom and its GFCI.

It's unlikely that the wall has a gas pipe in it but it might.

The wall might contain vent pipes as well. That wouldn't be a big deal either.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:56 AM

Both contractors have gone up into the attic to take measurements and look at the structure of the house.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:15 AM

7,283 posts, read 8,120,225 times
Quote:
Both contractors have gone up into the attic to take measurements and look at the structure of the house.
Good, but I'd expect that. If you proceed make the winning bidder explain his plan in detail especially why the ceiling won't sag.

This is an easy job conceptually, however, it needs to be executed well.

Keep us advised.

ETA - I failed to mention above........let's hope the framers built your attic as if the the wall was not there and there is a good chance they did. In that case the wall is carrying almost no load and ceiling sag won't be an issue.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:48 AM

29,926 posts, read 34,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

So far as high bids go.........sure there are sucker bids made every day.

Even more low-ball BS bids are made by contractors knowing all along he'll find myriad reasons why the job will ultimately cost 1.5/2/3x the bid.
Bad RE Agents do the same. Giving you a sales price of $400k knowing it will only sell for $360k.

They just want the listing and know you'll eventually have to come down to get the house sold.
And when you come down it will be below market because the house now is a stagnant listing with high DOM.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:48 PM

35 posts, read 33,737 times
any recommendations for a bathroom remodel contractor ? how are the handyman posted in angies list? which site do we go to find the reviews ? and how do we minimize costs? any suggestions? are there any tasks below which can be DIY or should i just leave it to contractors?

Tasks to be done

take out and put new tiles
tear wallpaper and paint new one
replace washing faucets
replace the glass cubicle

Old 12-23-2015, 05:10 AM

2 posts, read 919 times
Default Home remodeling

In home remodeling the money would be spend much on kitchen and bathroom .so that your home value also increases.in that case you have choose a best contractor for home.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:05 AM

Just a follow-up on this thread for reference purposes. The other contractors that came out were all in the $6,000 - $9,000 range, so I believe the first guy was intentionally lowballing (and, as I said, my wife wasn't comfortable with him). We settled on a local company that receives excellent reviews from everyone, and they are doing everything (demo, carpet, electrical, installing new hardware like a ceiling fan, drywall, paint) for $7800. Right in the middle of other bids we got, and I'm comfortable with them.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:52 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Just a follow-up on this thread for reference purposes. The other contractors that came out were all in the $6,000 - $9,000 range, so I believe the first guy was intentionally lowballing (and, as I said, my wife wasn't comfortable with him). We settled on a local company that receives excellent reviews from everyone, and they are doing everything (demo, carpet, electrical, installing new hardware like a ceiling fan, drywall, paint) for $7800. Right in the middle of other bids we got, and I'm comfortable with them.
We're talking about having a load-bearing wall taken out. Care to share these guys' info? We need some estimates to see if it's worth it to us. We already know it'll be expensive. We just want to know how expensive.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:51 PM

Follow follow-up for all the DIY-ers - it's taken a professional group of contractors three full days to get everything done (it's like 97% done now). I don't see any way in which trying to do it myself would have taken less than a month (assuming I didn't quit my job to focus on removing the wall), given that there were anywhere from 2 - 4 guys each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas