U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 11:58 PM

79 posts, read 69,951 times

Advertisements

had breakfast with a friend whose son attends FMHS, she said a "major" drug problem exists at FMHS

anyone know about this ? heard anything ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 12:04 AM

636 posts, read 454,085 times
Do teenagers go to this school?

Old 07-12-2015, 01:19 AM

79 posts, read 69,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Do teenagers go to this school?
from what I heard, this is more than "teenagers at high school" drug issues. harder-core stuff beyond alcohol and marijuana

Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 AM

12 posts, read 11,730 times
You think they have a problem now, wait till they go to college...

Old 07-12-2015, 07:39 AM

11,672 posts, read 21,240,989 times
Newsflash: there are drugs (yes, more hardcore than pot) at pretty much every high school in America. If a kid wants to try/do drugs, s/he is going to find a way to make that happen. I never was curious about drugs and did not see any drugs in high school or college- if smelling pot at concerts doesn't count It's not like kids are being forced to do drugs at high schools where they are prevalent....

Personally, I don't consider it to be a *major* drug problem until you are seeing multiple overdoses such as Plano in the late 1990's (heroin) or DISD TJ in the mid 2000's ("cheese", in the heroin family). Parents have to instill their family's values regarding drugs from an early age, keep the lines of conmunication open, know their kids' friends, and watch for any changes in behavior that indicate s/he may be doing drugs.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:09 AM

29,922 posts, read 34,535,636 times
No more of a problem than any other middle / upper class High School like Southlake, Coppell, HP, Plano.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:46 AM

959 posts, read 1,013,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Newsflash: there are drugs (yes, more hardcore than pot) at pretty much every high school in America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No more of a problem than any other middle / upper class High School like Southlake, Coppell, HP, Plano.
Truth

I don't understand this point of this post. As mentioned, EVERY high school has "drug problems"

Old 07-12-2015, 10:23 AM

9,505 posts, read 19,511,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Exactly. Drug dealers do their market research. Any HS with affluent teens is going to have all sorts of drugs.
Back in the day, my parents pulled my sister out of North Mesquite HS and sent her to Bishop Lynch in hopes of getting her away from bad influences. My sister says there were more drugs at BL than at NMHS!!

Old 07-12-2015, 11:15 AM

461 posts, read 771,153 times
I went to an elite private school(not in Dallas area) and there were a lot of drugs around. Not just Weed, but kids doing lines of coke in the bathroom between classes, Ecstasy, molly and whatever designer drugs were in. Adderall and Ritilin were big too.These were all "good" kids from top families. I think any school with upper middle to upper class kids has drugs readily available. These kids have lots of disposable income and usually no responsibilities.
I never fooled with drugs and mostly stuck to drinking when I was in high school. Not sure why I didn't dabble, but I suspect it's because my parents were very open with us about the dangers of drug use and I'd seen more than one after school special, which scared the crap out of me.

If it's any consolation, none of the drug users grew up to be degenerates or criminals. They're lawyers, doctors, engineers, even a CEO and upper level politician. I suspect they grew out of experimenting and settled down after college.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:44 PM

87 posts, read 85,616 times
Drugs became a big issue for FM since 2009 and they have had dozens of overdoses since. They are doing their best to take care of it. I have family there and their kids told scary stories. However, as others said, less in some and more in others , but it is always a concern in affluent high schools.

You could never be 100% sure about it but experts suggest taking susceptible kids out of that enviorment and company is first step towards safety. If your student is not friends with wrong kids and is not interested then nobody is going to shove it in his throat but even good kids make bad decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or