U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuser View Post
Always thought Coppel/Plano were in a different league when compared to Frisco. if this is not the case, why are people flocking to Coppell/Plano than affordable Frisco/McKinney? Please share.

No one is flocking to Plano/Coppell these days. I have several of friends that left Coppell/Plano in their home search and are flocking to Frisco/Allen/McKinney depending on their budget, finances, and where they work. I have a friend that works in Irving - My guess was he would choose Coppell in a heart beat to build home. Did he? NO. Went straight to Frisco and built a 500K home there instead. Why? Because 121 corridor is the future of DFW. It's going to be a hot area for next 15-20 years. Coppell is so old and already dead. Coppell is a bedroom community. Plano on the other hand is ridiculously expensive for new builds. If you see the DFW area school ratings, Frisco and Allen top the list now. Also, going by demographics I see most young families with kids under age 7-8 tend to pick Frisco/Allen as these schools will go up in rating in future. Coppell demographics kill it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 04:09 PM

11,681 posts, read 21,263,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuser View Post
No one is flocking to Plano/Coppell these days. I have several of friends that left Coppell/Plano in their home search and are flocking to Frisco/Allen/McKinney depending on their budget, finances, and where they work. I have a friend that works in Irving - My guess was he would choose Coppell in a heart beat to build home. Did he? NO. Went straight to Frisco and built a 500K home there instead. Why? Because 121 corridor is the future of DFW. It's going to be a hot area for next 15-20 years. Coppell is so old and already dead. Coppell is a bedroom community. Plano on the other hand is ridiculously expensive for new builds. If you see the DFW area school ratings, Frisco and Allen top the list now. Also, going by demographics I see most young families with kids under age 7-8 tend to pick Frisco/Allen as these schools will go up in rating in future. Coppell demographics kill it.
While I agree with you that people aren't "flocking" to Coppell anymore (you need land and many new housing developments to attract "flocking" numbers) and that 121 is where the major development is happening outside the urban core of Dallas, you need to tap the breaks on declaring Frisco and Allen at the top of the school rankings. There is absolutely NO academic data proving that or even showing they are trending up in a major way.

When it comes to college preparedness, SAT scores are the best indicator. In the DFW area, HP, Southlake, Coppell, Plano West, and Plano senior have topped the list for the past 25+ years. No schools have moved in and no schools have fallen out. Allen ranks about 15th where it has held steady for the past 10+ years I've been tracking area school performance. Frisco does have 2 schools that have risen to the top 15 (Liberty & Centennial), but it also has several schools that don't even produce "tier 2" SAT results. Maybe when all of these 7-8 year olds you speak of are in high school, things will change, but I don't see Frisco or Allen bumping Plano W/Sr or Coppell out of the top 5 anytime soon. LISD Flower Mound is the one school that seems poised to bump Coppell out of the top 5, but none of the Frisco or Allen schools are close.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:44 PM

109 posts, read 111,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
While I agree with you that people aren't "flocking" to Coppell anymore (you need land and many new housing developments to attract "flocking" numbers) and that 121 is where the major development is happening outside the urban core of Dallas, you need to tap the breaks on declaring Frisco and Allen at the top of the school rankings. There is absolutely NO academic data proving that or even showing they are trending up in a major way.

When it comes to college preparedness, SAT scores are the best indicator. In the DFW area, HP, Southlake, Coppell, Plano West, and Plano senior have topped the list for the past 25+ years. No schools have moved in and no schools have fallen out. Allen ranks about 15th where it has held steady for the past 10+ years I've been tracking area school performance. Frisco does have 2 schools that have risen to the top 15 (Liberty & Centennial), but it also has several schools that don't even produce "tier 2" SAT results. Maybe when all of these 7-8 year olds you speak of are in high school, things will change, but I don't see Frisco or Allen bumping Plano W/Sr or Coppell out of the top 5 anytime soon. LISD Flower Mound is the one school that seems poised to bump Coppell out of the top 5, but none of the Frisco or Allen schools are close.
Frisco and Allen are definitely the trending places to build and move in the DFW. That will bring in new, better teachers, and infrastructure. They are definitely trending up. I travel all across the DFW and talk to many people on a daily basis. Nobody is talking about Coppell or Flower Mound anymore. Frisco and Allen are the places to be and with more and more businesses coming in up north, the trend will definitely continue. Also, I live in Richardson so don't have any bias.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:49 PM

Also you can use SATs as a basis for ranking districts, but keep in mind others out there show some districts to be ranked higher.

2014 DFW Top School Districts | Dallas Area Best Schools

That uses TEA accountability data to give each district a score. Allen, Frisco, and Wylie are some of the higher ones in the area.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:17 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,822,003 times
Quote:
What about the PMI prepayment question? Has anyone prepaid their PMI if they had that option and is up to the lender I assume?
If you have enough to prepay PMI for X amount of years, maybe you would have enough to avoid it altogether?

Quote:
Nobody is talking about Coppell or Flower Mound anymore. Frisco and Allen are the places to be and with more and more businesses coming in up north, the trend will definitely continue.
That's because most people cannot afford Coppell or Flower Mound anymore. Doesn't mean they aren't in demand.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:37 PM

114 posts, read 108,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad0118 View Post
Also you can use SATs as a basis for ranking districts, but keep in mind others out there show some districts to be ranked higher.

2014 DFW Top School Districts | Dallas Area Best Schools

That uses TEA accountability data to give each district a score. Allen, Frisco, and Wylie are some of the higher ones in the area.
Using the same website that doesn't appear to be the case when it comes to high schools:

2014 DFW Best Public High Schools | Dallas Area Top Ranked Schools

Old 07-13-2015, 09:31 PM

87 posts, read 85,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
If you have enough to prepay PMI for X amount of years, maybe you would have enough to avoid it altogether?

That's because most people cannot afford Coppell or Flower Mound anymore. Doesn't mean they aren't in demand.
Exactly. People are "flocking" to areas where they can afford new and cheaper houses, not because those areas are new Highlandpark. We'll not know how these areas stack against West Plano and Coppell until they run out of new houses.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:19 PM

77 posts, read 119,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad0118 View Post
Frisco and Allen are definitely the trending places to build and move in the DFW. That will bring in new, better teachers, and infrastructure. They are definitely trending up. I travel all across the DFW and talk to many people on a daily basis. Nobody is talking about Coppell or Flower Mound anymore. Frisco and Allen are the places to be and with more and more businesses coming in up north, the trend will definitely continue. Also, I live in Richardson so don't have any bias.
You sound like a broker, speculator, flipper or hedge fund manager with all your emphatic statements? Newsflash: Coppell, Flour Mound, Colleyville, Southlake and even Grapevine are all just fine! There's a saying in auto racing that's appropriate for your comments: "Catching and passing are two different things!" Frisco and Allen are not the "second coming of Christ," so you can tone down the cheerleading. Every town has good and bad components, and that's part of what makes them what they are.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnn View Post
You sound like a broker, speculator, flipper or hedge fund manager with all your emphatic statements? Newsflash: Coppell, Flour Mound, Colleyville, Southlake and even Grapevine are all just fine! There's a saying in auto racing that's appropriate for your comments: "Catching and passing are two different things!" Frisco and Allen are not the "second coming of Christ," so you can tone down the cheerleading. Every town has good and bad components, and that's part of what makes them what they are.
Cheerleading? I don't live there. Just stating what I see.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:20 AM

162 posts, read 132,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuser View Post
Please consider this scenario and share any thoughts:

1. Home price is $400k, property tax is $6k/year, insurance is $3k/year
2. Assuming $300k loan @4% for 15 years, monthly payment is $2219
3. Plus $750 (insurance + property tax = $9k/12)
4. Total payment is $2219 + $750 = $2969
5. No Income tax in TX

The yearly deduction for interest is around $11k which is less than standard deduction $12600. Is there any real "economic" incentive to home buying than a huge appreciation of the home price or become a rental source in the future unless there is a vision for 10 years?

Considering TX is a huge state with lot of construction, not sure on the rate of yearly appreciation even in established areas with excellent schools like Plano, Coppell and Flower Mound.

$300K Loan @ current 3.28% for 15 years, monthly 2110 + Property Tax ($8000/12) + Home Insurance about $150/month, plus (depending on what home you have) $100-200/month (swimming pool, etc).
That's a monthly fix cost of ~$3066 , but don't forget you are paying back your mortgages and first month principle will go down $1292 which increases every single month...so for first month you are actually $3066-1292= $1774 (that goes out of your pocket) the $1292 is a saving in the house, and if the house appreciate in the next 15 years, which likely will do you are better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or