U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:20 AM

4,625 posts, read 8,531,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch526 View Post
Maybe because some of the people live there as well and wanted to show how inaccurate the original assessment was and do go out during these times and happen to see a completely different picture than what was presented.

You're really comparing DTD 2015 to DTD in the late 80's and saying you don't see a difference?

Main Street Garden Park was just a catalyst for the surrounding areas. Since it opened, 2 sides have been renovated and are now occupied by residential and UNT Law, while the other 2 and immediately surrounding areas are currently being renovated to bring close to 600 hotel rooms, hundreds of residential units and thousands of SQ FT of retail. Go immediately West of there on Main and that's where you truly see the difference with the signs of a lively downtown that is very quickly spreading out in each direction (Main Street Park, Elm, Commerce, Westin Coming to One Main Place).

There's been plenty of talk in the past but now people are putting money on the line. The Buildings are being renovated (not some grand plan to eventually renovate) and that's what makes the "talk" much different than in the past.

Also, go and check out Deep Ellum some time too. Just in the past year, it has really turned into a pretty fun place to go to.

I'm in DT and Deep Ellum regularly. Neither are all that. During the workday DT is ok. Any other time it's pretty meh at best. My guess is anyone who think DT is all that has never been to a great downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 11:54 AM

198 posts, read 195,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
I'm in DT and Deep Ellum regularly. Neither are all that. During the workday DT is ok. Any other time it's pretty meh at best. My guess is anyone who think DT is all that has never been to a great downtown.
I apologize if my comment came off as DTD and Deep Ellum are equal to the great downtowns of the world. Not what I meant. What I meant, and what other posters who do live in the area also mentioned, is that DTD has come a long way from what it used to be..a ghost town. Is it one of the greatest Downtowns in the world? Not by a long shot. Is it much more lively than just 5 years and becoming more lively every year? Absolutely!

However, if you're going to constantly compare the liveliness of DTD to the greatest downtowns in the world then you will constantly be disappointed.

Downtown is currently solving it's biggest problem. Millions of SQ FT of vacant buildings. These buildings are now being filled with residential/office/hotels. Right now, almost every single major vacant building has been renovated or is currently being renovated. Older occupied office buildings are going through multi million dollar renovations

Old 07-21-2015, 07:31 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,671,825 times
You really, REALLY need to put all this in historical perspective. The reason that people are so (rightfully) excited is seeing how far DTD has progressed from what it was not long ago. And it is surrounded by neighborhoods and districts that are improving at least as fast. Good times, with even better times ahead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas