Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 AM

44 posts, read 78,463 times

Advertisements

We are in our mid and late 50s living in Illinois for the past 35 years. Our kids are moving to Dallas for work and we would like to explore the option of retiring in the Northern Dallas area. This will be a transition over the next couple of years and we just have started researching.

Both of us work from home and one of us travels internationally a lot. We will work for another three to five years after "retirement". We travel for pleasure also. Ideally a single family home ( one storey) is what we will look for, a fenced yard will be a must for little Fido. Roughly 1500 sq ft will be ideal. Safety of the neighborhood is a must.

Do not like new developments with no trees and green.

We know it is HOTTTT in Dallas. It is COLDDDD in Chicago. We survived!

I am looking for feedback on places to live. Plano? Frisco? Allen? West of 75? Old house or newer. We are into investment real estate here and have rehabbed and own older houses. Fixer uppers do not scare us if the price is right.

Looking to lead a simple life in TX. Close to kids ( future grandkids), work, volunteer, family life, eat healthy and exercise ( both of us are health freaks). I started a Meetup group for ladies who are in their 60s to alleviate depression and sense of loneliness and plan on doing the same in Dallas-- so no worries about boredom there.

One more thing: Love everything Indian, live it everday, but do not roll in it. So, we do not need to live where " a lot of Indians live" We have always have had multi cultural friends.

Know of anyone who retired in Dallas area from out of state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Whats your budget for this move? That's going to make the biggest decision for you.

Personally, I would look at Del Webb's Frisco Lakes retirement community. The amenities are really good, and you will be around other retirees. There is a large Indian community in Plano, too.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,859,742 times
I think that you should post this in the Dallas forum for the best info and most replies.

Second, if you want to be close to your children, then you need to find out where they will be moving. DFW is HUGE! Think about if you want a commute like Aurora-Highland Park, or further.

Howdy! and Good Luck!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:55 PM

According to our research we will be at about $200K for a small home. Do not like the idea of a retirement community. Will do that in about 20 years for sure.

Forgot to add, we will visit in a couple of months and we are open to the idea of buying a house and renting it out till we are ready to move.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:05 PM

Default Retiring in Dallas area

Retiring in Dallas suburbs

We are in our mid and late 50s living in Illinois for the past 35 years. Our kids are moving to Dallas for work and we would like to explore the option of retiring in the Northern Dallas area. This will be a transition over the next couple of years and we just have started researching.

Both of us work from home and one of us travels internationally a lot. We will work for another three to five years after "retirement". We travel for pleasure also. Ideally a single family home ( one storey) is what we will look for, a fenced yard will be a must for little Fido. Roughly 1500 sq ft will be ideal. Safety of the neighborhood is a must.

Do not like new developments with no trees and green. Do not want retirement communities. We will do that in another 20 years.

We know it is HOTTTT in Dallas. It is COLDDDD in Chicago. We survived!

I am looking for feedback on places to live. Plano? Frisco? Allen? West of 75? Old house or newer. We are into investment real estate here and have rehabbed and own older houses. Fixer uppers do not scare us if the price is right. We open to buying a house soon and rent it out till we are ready to move.

Looking to lead a simple life in TX. Close to kids ( future grandkids), work, volunteer, family life, eat healthy and exercise ( both of us are health freaks). I started a Meetup group for ladies who are in their 60s to alleviate depression and sense of loneliness and plan on doing the same in Dallas-- so no worries about boredom there. Life is never boring, only people make it so.

One more thing: Love everything Indian, live it everyday, but do not roll in it. So, we do not need to live where " a lot of Indians live" We have always have had multi cultural friends.

Know of anyone who retired in Dallas area from out of state?red in the Dallas area?

Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM

60 posts, read 296,936 times
West Plano is good. Take 75 North and exit Plano Pkwy. Take a left and drive for about five miles. West Plano is awesome. It's a little North of Dallas but well worth it. There's also Allen a little further North on 75 and McKinney. The problem with McKinney is that it is about 30 miles North of Dallas, but it is very nice and safe on the West side.

For McKinney you take 75 North and then exit at 39. Head West Like Plano, you'll want to go about five miles. Actually, West McKinney is nice right after you get off 75.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 PM

The Del Webb communities are NOT your typical "retirement community" environment. They are full of very active folks about your age or a little older, and the amenities are amazing. If you are thinking about moving to one in a few years, you would be wise to just make one move!

There was another thread about renting out a house. Short answer, only consider this if you are willing to risk tenants trashing the property!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
What is your budget? Most of Frisco, Allen, Plano, etc have been developed in the last 10-20 years so aside from the historical district in McKinney, it's all new and not as green and mature as neifhborboods closer in to Dallas. It was all flat prairie land before the builders came.

I'm guessing your kids have zero'd in on Collin County for their relo and that's why you're focused on it. I'd actually suggest Richardson which is in the next closest "ring" of suburbs around Dallas. Many well-built and well-maintained homes from the 1950's there, along with mature trees, parks, and trails. People rave about Richardson's city services and the school district is excellent (for resale value). It also has a much better mix of chain vs mom & pop stores and restaurants than Collin County which is Cheesecake Factory/ Wal-Mart central.

If I were retiring and moving to Dallas, I would live as close to downtown as possible. Dallas boasts the largest arts district in the country which hosts many events (some free, some not so much) each week. There are several entirely Walkable neighborhoods and a growing network of running & cycling trails. Tons of culture, volunteer opportunities, super close to Love Field and only 20ish minutes to DFW.

But if you plan to see your grandkids almost every day, you'll probably want to look at Dowtown McKinney (historic) or sacrifice that leafy, mature look you like for a newer typical suburban home.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 PM

Frisco Lakes | Active Adult Community Frisco TX | Del Webb homes

I thought I posted this earlier...?
Look no further!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:22 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
You might enjoy the "M" streets area in Dallas. But if you want to live close to where the kids move, I am sure you can find a place that will be satisfactory wherever they settle.

Last edited by Squirl; 08-27-2013 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: